Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Knocking noise when backing out of driveway

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-10, 09:08 AM
DGreenGS
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knocking noise when backing out of driveway

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me with an issue I am having. When I am backing out of my driveway and lock the wheel I hear a slight knocking noise. It is actually just a single knocking noise. I initially thought it was the lower ball joints but after reading the post I saw that somebody said that 2003+ GS models dont have the lower ball joint issue. I have a 2004 GS300 lowered on megan coilovers with 20's. Could it still be the lower ball joint? Or maybe something else? Any feedback is appreciated. Thanks.
Old 09-27-10, 06:08 PM
Vincenza V
Driver School Candidate

Does the brake pedal seem like it is losing control for a split second (i.e. do you feel it in the pedal with your foot) or is it just a noise. What year is your car?
Old 10-05-10, 07:24 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Vincenza V
Does the brake pedal seem like it is losing control for a split second (i.e. do you feel it in the pedal with your foot) or is it just a noise. What year is your car?
I feel exactly that when I back out of my garage. Mine is a 98 GS4. Any idea?
Old 10-05-10, 10:20 AM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

when was the last time you put brake pads on it? sounds like you may need to service brake system (pads, rotors, fluid flush.)
Old 10-05-10, 10:40 AM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ShansLexGS
when was the last time you put brake pads on it? sounds like you may need to service brake system (pads, rotors, fluid flush.)
D, if it's a single "clunk", I'd put my money on brakes. Worn pads have wiggle room, especially if they don't have the "fit kit" on them. In case you don't know about the fit kit, it's some shims and springs that the dealer will tell you you'll need when swapping out the pads. I thought they were just trying to up sell me on something I didn't need the first time. Afterwards my mechanic mentioned that it was missing (I had done my own brake job) and needed the kit. I bought the kit, and magically clunk went away.

You don't always need to replace kit when changing pads. Visual inspection will tell you. My fit kit has lasted my 3 sets of pads.

Shan,

Yeah it's been a while. I'm pushing 180k miles, and I'm still on the original front rotors.

The thing I can't explain though is a vibration I feel when in reverse. Feels like classic motor mount failure, but it really only does in reverse, and somewhat intermittantly in drive, and not as noticeable.

I thought it had to do with my ps pump, but I just had that replaced last week, with sway bar bushings as well. Last summer I had the lower control arms replaced, including lower ball joints, and motor mounts and tranny mount.

I think the front brakes might be contributing to it, but I think, one or both of my mounts might be bad, again, or maybe I need new steering rack bushings. I'm taking her in next week to have the mounts checked, and the steering bushings checked.

We'll see.

Last edited by Blanco; 10-05-10 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Anti thread jack.
Old 10-05-10, 12:44 PM
esolo98
Advanced

I get a single clunk at random times when hitting a bump. I have never heard of the "fit kit". What will I look for in a visual inspection?
Is the "fit kit" a dealer item or can we get it at an autoparts store?
Old 10-05-10, 01:04 PM
Blanco
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by esolo98
I get a single clunk at random times when hitting a bump. I have never heard of the "fit kit". What will I look for in a visual inspection?
Is the "fit kit" a dealer item or can we get it at an autoparts store?
If you search, you can probably find the part number here on clublexus. I don't recall it offhand. It's a toyota/lexus specific kit. Dealer only. Last time I bought one was $50-$65. Consists of metal clips and springs.

The springs aren't coil wound. They form an X over the pads. Pic would be good here.

Quick search got me this. Those part numbers are for a 98 400. I would assume a 98 300 would be the same.
Fitting kit is the clips that holds the brake pads to the caliper. A worn fitting kit will allow the pads to slide around when you brake or when you change the gear lever.

Shim kit includes pieces of flat metal that goes between the caliper's piston and the brake pads. It's there for reduction in vibration if anything.

Front Shim Kit: 04945-30140
Rear Shim Kit: 04946-30071
Front Fitting Kit: 04947-30120
Rear Fitting Kit: 04948-30071
I've yet to use a shim kit. Never needed one. Just looked, Pembroke Pines Lexus sells the front fit kit listed above for $27 plus shipping. Money well spent.

Post #10 on this thread has pics. fit kit

Last edited by Blanco; 10-05-10 at 01:23 PM. Reason: clarification