ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Suspension and Brakes (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes-185/)
-   -   Need advice on buying new shocks ! (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/523619-need-advice-on-buying-new-shocks.html)

GSRSRT 09-06-10 11:19 PM

Need advice on buying new shocks !

Sup CL time has come for new shocks what do you guys recommend and im not buying coil overs i just need real good shocks to replace the OEM, i have $900 to spend let me know thanks

VNN326 09-06-10 11:22 PM

get some coilovers. if you must get shocks i would get bilsteins.

GSteg 09-06-10 11:25 PM

$900 is twice the price of most shocks. You can get a set of OEM shocks for about $300 shipped from Sewell Lexus.

If you want a slightly stiffer ride, Bilstein HD shocks are about $500.

GSRSRT 09-06-10 11:26 PM

i would but not for my 99 GS300 because im gettin it ready to be shipped out to my country and will buy a 03 or 04 GS430 and start my build with that! i just need good shocks to last

Silver'04 09-07-10 12:14 AM

I was also in the same boat as you. Depending on what your goals are with your suspension set up, but if you're just looking for factory replacements, KYB GR2's should be more than enough, even if you plan to lower the car in the future. I researched for a little while and while a lot of people will suggest coilovers, they may not be what you need or want. I recently installed a set of Bilstein HD's along with my Tein Stechs and Exact/Sage RCA's. I got the ride height I wanted and the ride quality I'm almost sure I couldn't have gotten with coils. The ride is firm, but very comfortable (IMO). It's not bouncy and harsh like most coilovers on the market. I think as far as level of comfort (from soft to firm) it goes : KYB GR2's > Bilstein HD > Bilstein Sport. Good luck

GSRSRT 09-07-10 12:29 AM

Thanks guys now i know what to do, will let you know when i buy them and install them thanks again for the good advice.

Grantville 09-07-10 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by GSRSRT (Post 5769504)
Sup CL time has come for new shocks what do you guys recommend and im not buying coil overs i just need real good shocks to replace the OEM, i have $900 to spend let me know thanks

Here is what I did to my 02 GS, Diazen bushings everywhere, UCA, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, Tein H Tech (the smallest drop and softest of the aftermarket springs), and KYB GR2. The Diazen sways would have been added but they are not available. So your choice for sways is urethane bushings for stock bars (my choice) or TRD blue, which are very stiff.

This will have a very nice improvement in the handling department with only a slight increase in how firm the ride is. I have the Eiabach & Bilstein HD on my 99 GS and it is lower and rides firmer, but I the handling is not that much better.

acnup00tl 09-07-10 09:38 AM

i just bought mine form the dealership for 125 for the pair. The funny thing is the SPORTDESIGN shocks are cheaper than the standard GS shocks. You would think SD shocks would be more.

werewolf 09-07-10 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by acnup00tl (Post 5770236)
i just bought mine form the dealership for 125 for the pair. The funny thing is the SPORTDESIGN shocks are cheaper than the standard GS shocks. You would think SD shocks would be more.

Are the SDs stiffer?

acnup00tl 09-07-10 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by werewolf (Post 5770497)
Are the SDs stiffer?

I wouldn't be able to answer that , I have a Sportdesign model so I really couldn't say if they are stiffer than just regular shocks on a regular Gs. Thats really one of the only things different than a regular GS other than wheels that are graphite color and a couple other minor tweaks .

Doneve79 09-07-10 11:58 AM

Hey guys, is it better to do both of the front ones or can i do just 1? i have 1 bad one right now...

5t341th 09-07-10 08:07 PM

do it in pairs

GSRSRT 09-07-10 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Grantville (Post 5769924)
Here is what I did to my 02 GS, Diazen bushings everywhere, UCA, lower ball joints, tie rod ends, Tein H Tech (the smallest drop and softest of the aftermarket springs), and KYB GR2. The Diazen sways would have been added but they are not available. So your choice for sways is urethane bushings for stock bars (my choice) or TRD blue, which are very stiff.

This will have a very nice improvement in the handling department with only a slight increase in how firm the ride is. I have the Eiabach & Bilstein HD on my 99 GS and it is lower and rides firmer, but I the handling is not that much better.

what if i do the Eiabach & Bilstein HD with the TRD Blue sway how would that be and how is the bilstein compared to the KYB

istundra 09-07-10 10:37 PM

Originally Posted by werewolf (Post 5770497)
Are the SDs stiffer?

Suppose to be L-tuned shocks and stiffer...

Does any1 have the part #?

Thanks!!! :thumbup:

raceforgt 09-09-10 05:49 AM

GSRSRT- that's the exact setup I want to go with. I have the Eibach Pro Kit already, just need to install. I want the Bilsteins and TRD sways next. Anyone with any thoughts on this setup? Im also one not looking to stray too far from stock ride/feel/height. How would this compare??

new to CL-thanks for any help!