Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

brake calipers

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-02, 01:02 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brake calipers

What is the easiest way to remove them? I want to clean them and paint them. Is this an easy task or is this something I should take to a shop to do??? I want to do the front and rears as well...

Thanks,
Rock
Old 07-13-02, 06:37 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

removing them isn't that hard (well at least on my ES). it just gets a little messy and sometimes u need 2 people. after taking off the wheels, carefully take off the brake hose. when u do this, u will have brake fluid spurting out...just do something to make sure it doesn't go all over the place-tape up the end or something. if u lose a significant amount, check your fluid level. get a tray or something to catch the dripping fluid. next you need to remove the screws/bolts and sliding pins that hold the caliper together. now it should come off. i hope i didn't forget anything. doing all this gives you a great opportunity to clean your calipers and regrease the joints....only for them to get dirty and dry again.
i painted my calipers but i didn't take them off. i just got a fine paintbrush and got down and dirty. i think they turned out okay. hint: you can only see so much of the caliper paint while the wheel/tire is on. all that area on the insides, no one will see but your mechanic...but i still painted as much as i could fearing i'd miss a spot. good luck and have fun.
Old 07-14-02, 12:39 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up calipers

Kool.. Thanks abunch for your info. I was thining it might be easy, but I figuiered to ask. Just to be on the safe side. I noticed that the bolts are these star looking nuts. Is that a special tool I need for that? BTW.. I am glad to see a female that actually takes care of her ride.... Totally cool. *wink*

Rock
Old 07-14-02, 12:40 AM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Question Just curious...

What part of LA are u in? I am in Whittier now. I was in San Diego.

Rock
Old 07-14-02, 06:19 PM
Johnny Mo
GX and 2IS Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No need to remove calipers

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=46245

Check the members gallery under Johnny Mo for pics
Old 07-14-02, 08:37 PM
meZoom!
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: calipers

Originally posted by Rockero28
Kool.. Thanks abunch for your info. I was thining it might be easy, but I figuiered to ask. Just to be on the safe side. I noticed that the bolts are these star looking nuts. Is that a special tool I need for that? BTW.. I am glad to see a female that actually takes care of her ride.... Totally cool. *wink*

Rock
yeah it's messy and the bolts are practically welded on. you can use a set of tools that they probably sell at the toyota dealer or pep boys. just ask for 'brake tools', they look like surgeon's equipment. as johnny mo said, there is basically no need to remove the calipers if u can get the job done w/ them on! what color r u going to paint them? i think black or silver would look sharp on your ride but maybe nobody would notice shoot, people hardly notice my RED ones. i tell ya...i've heard people describe my calipers every wrong way possible from "red brake pads" to "oooh look red wheel inserts". BTW im in "l.a." l.a. --you are always fresh outta san diego!
Old 07-14-02, 10:42 PM
Rockero28
Lexus Champion

Default Hey

Nah, this time around I moved.... Anyway, I am planning on painting them gloss black. I am also going to order the caliper stickers. Do you have those on your brakes?? Hey what do you think of Volk av3's? I am looking at getting a set of 19's...

Rock