Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra Brake Upgrade

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-02, 08:11 AM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supra Brake Upgrade

From a previous Post:

The following is ALL that is required, nothing more...
1-SupraTT front calipers
2-Cross-drilled/balanced rotors on for SupraTT calipers.
3-Set of four SS braided brake lines specifically measured for the GS using SupraTT calipers.
4-You MUST get BOTH a SupraTT fitting kit and shim kit!
5-Your choice of numerous brake pads... I went with the stock SupraTT pad.....(Way TOOOOO much dust!!!)
The one and only modification necessary is to cut a 2x2 inch section out of the heat/dust shield that surrounds the stock caliper.... There is NO reason to remove the entire shield....
Last, you will obviously need brake fluid and I would suggest having the GREEN caliper sandblasted and repainted the color of your choice.(to get rid of the Supra logo as well) RMM only paints over the logo, and it is still visible through their black paint...

Question is...Step 4 states you need a Supra fitting kit. I never thought you needed a "fit" kit. Is there such thing? I know when Steve offered the group buy, he didn't state the fit kit. Three of my friends own supras, so I can easliy get my hands on a set of calipers, etc...but this has me perplexed. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 07-05-02, 08:31 AM
JacobT

TT brakes are direct bolt on. You do not need any fitting kit. You do not need shim kit if you use any after market pads.

The shim kit came with TRD pads when I ordered them. I'm using EBC pads w/o any shim and no noise at all.
Old 07-05-02, 08:33 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Supra Brake Upgrade

Originally posted by MikeGS4PE
From a previous Post:

Question is...Step 4 states you need a Supra fitting kit. I never thought you needed a "fit" kit. Is there such thing? I know when Steve offered the group buy, he didn't state the fit kit. Three of my friends own supras, so I can easliy get my hands on a set of calipers, etc...but this has me perplexed. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
The shim and fitting kits are a must to do this mod...When you purchase the Supra TT calipers from Toyota, they DO NOT come with these crucial pieces of hardware because it's considered a REPLACEMENT caliper only (don't ask me why - it just the way Toyota does business). You have to order the fit kit and the shim kit separately. Now, if you are going to use your buddy's used calipers off a Supra TT, chances are, they already have the hardware on the calipers if they came directly from a stock car.

If you don't have the shim and fit kit, then the pads are not held in place properly and will float a little bit so that when you hit a bump, you will hear the rattle coming from the free-floating pads...Trust me, we found out the hard way...

Brent
Old 07-05-02, 08:37 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JacobT
TT brakes are direct bolt on. You do not need any fitting kit. You do not need shim kit if you use any after market pads.

The shim kit came with TRD pads when I ordered them. I'm using EBC pads w/o any shim and no noise at all.
Hi JacobT!

I would like to respectfully disagree because I did go through this experience myself. I believe you got yours from RMM so they probably included it in your kit. However, if you just go to a Toyota parts dealer and order the calipers it does NOT come with the shim and fit kit automatically - it takes a parts guy who already has had the experience before to know that it must be included. Otherwise, only the calipers are ordered. The shim and fit kit are a totally separate part number.

Just wanted to add my experiences to this subject.

Brent

Last edited by BLiu; 07-05-02 at 08:38 AM.
Old 07-05-02, 08:48 AM
JacobT

Brent,

I did the calipers installation myself several times(I've replaced 2 sets of rotors). If you're talking about the 2 pins that hold the pads in place and the bracket laying across the 2 pins with some tension then YES. Those are necessary to complete the project.

But for bolting on the calipers, you do not need any fitting kit. And the shim kit I'm talking about is the metal pieces that go in between the pads and pistons. I do not use them for my EBC pads. Sorry for the confusions.
Old 07-05-02, 08:58 AM
BLiu
Lexus Test Driver

Originally posted by JacobT
Brent,

I did the calipers installation myself several times(I've replaced 2 sets of rotors). If you're talking about the 2 pins that hold the pads in place and the bracket laying across the 2 pins with some tension then YES. Those are necessary to complete the project.

But for bolting on the calipers, you do not need any fitting kit. And the shim kit I'm talking about is the metal pieces that go in between the pads and pistons. I do not use them for my EBC pads. Sorry for the confusions.
ALL RIGHT! It's great to compare notes! Hopefully Mike will benefit from this!

To Summarize: For bolting on the TT calipers to the GS4, NO extra hardware is needed as Jacob mentioned!

BUT...

The fit kit comprises EXACTLY of the 2 pins and the bracket that HOLDS the pads in place. This fit kit is SOLD SEPARATELY as a separate part number. I think the gist of this is to make sure you have the fit kit in any package you are planning to do - otherwise you will have some rattling pads that will drive you crazy!

Thanks for clearing up the confusion Jacob!

PS: Mike don't forget that the TT calipers are bigger and fatter so make sure your aftermarket rims clear...I needed spacers on mine.

Brent
Old 07-05-02, 06:47 PM
MikeGS4PE
Lexus Test Driver

Brent and Jacob - You guys were able to completely answer my question! Thank you very much! It was an interesting post for a moment, but it seems like you guys all came to some sort of agreement I should be able to pick up a set from one of my friends, but who knows if I will have to rebulid them or not...all three of them have '94s. By the way, when I ordered my wheels, I had a custom set of Z1s made to allow for a brake upgrade...all should be good from here on out...thanks again!
Old 07-05-02, 07:09 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts

what kind of costs are involved for this upgrade?
parts?
labor? (professional install)
Old 07-06-02, 06:04 PM
Christian
Pole Position

Yes, how much are the parts in the US? Will they fit 92 LS 400. What is the smallest rim size I can use? What about offset?
Old 07-07-02, 10:26 PM
tinygs
Lexus Test Driver

Default Re: Re: Supra Brake Upgrade

Originally posted by BLiu

The shim and fitting kits are a must to do this mod...When you purchase the Supra TT calipers from Toyota, they DO NOT come with these crucial pieces of hardware because it's considered a REPLACEMENT caliper only (don't ask me why - it just the way Toyota does business). You have to order the fit kit and the shim kit separately. Now, if you are going to use your buddy's used calipers off a Supra TT, chances are, they already have the hardware on the calipers if they came directly from a stock car.

If you don't have the shim and fit kit, then the pads are not held in place properly and will float a little bit so that when you hit a bump, you will hear the rattle coming from the free-floating pads...Trust me, we found out the hard way...

Brent
Well, seeing as how Christian started this thread started with a quote from me, I must repond......
What Brent outlined is EXACTLY the parts needed and for EXACTLY the reasons he explained.
Toyota DOES sell some of its pads with shims attached, but they no longer sell "pad kits" that include pads, shims, and all NECESSARY clips like they used to. The shim kit and fit kit are sold/purchased seperately. If you dont use the fit kit, you are letting the pad float inside the caliper ONLY held in place by the two rods that go through the caliper and pad. This brake kit is NOT designed for use without the fit kit and it will rattle like HELL on all bumps and during braking......JM.02