Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Fixed the cause of my failing brakes

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-10, 12:36 PM
celicaxx
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fixed the cause of my failing brakes

I'm sure many of you know of this, but there may be a few of you out there who may not be aware of one minor detail of servicing brakes. To begin, I've had this car for about two years. The brakes weren't very strong to begin with and have been becoming more and more spongy.

After I bought some pads and disassembled the calipers, I discovered the sliders (pins that allow the caliper to travel) were seized. They have been without grease for some time because they wouldn't budge, even after trying to drive them out with a punch and hammer.

Therefore I bought a used set of calipers and mount brackets. When I received them I found that one slider pin on each mount was dry of lubricant, so I removed the pin and greased it. All is good with the brakes now; the caliper moves freely and uniformly.

So make sure when you replace the pads to pull in/out on the pins to make sure they can move. If not, the pads will wear uneven and the calipers will eventually not allow the pads to make contact to the rotors.

all pictures are with the i-phone; sorry about the focus:

pin still in the mount

pin removed/boot exposed

pin before lube

pin after lube
Old 07-18-10, 07:09 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great pics! if you have pics of the other pin with the rubber sleeve at the tip that would help also. that needs to be replaced as well when it gets brittle and breaks into pieces causing the pin to seize.
Old 07-19-10, 04:46 AM
celicaxx
Driver School Candidate

sorry, it's all back together, but I have some disassembled mk2 supra brakes i could take pics of.

lucky me, the rubber boots were in great shape, but note this is a common rebuild part that can be had for pocket change at the local parts house.
Old 07-19-10, 08:58 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

Good to know
Old 07-19-10, 09:09 AM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

hmm wonder if my front stock brakes need to be reserviced... how do you remove the pin? simple as hammering it out?
Old 07-19-10, 01:28 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
hmm wonder if my front stock brakes need to be reserviced... how do you remove the pin? simple as hammering it out?
if the pin is not seized, it pulls straight out with little to no force. if you feel a struggle then it needs to be lubricated. pull from the top of the pin though not the boot itself or itll tear right off.
Old 07-19-10, 04:54 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike813
if the pin is not seized, it pulls straight out with little to no force. if you feel a struggle then it needs to be lubricated. pull from the top of the pin though not the boot itself or itll tear right off.
judging the first pic... what youre saying is.. pull the put OUT n not IN? out as in towards the camera.
Old 07-19-10, 05:16 PM
Mike813
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
judging the first pic... what youre saying is.. pull the put OUT n not IN? out as in towards the camera.
yep towards the camera. as the illustrated pic.

but if youre actually beside your wheel/rim its facing the engine.so pull outwards towards the engine.
Old 11-19-10, 08:03 PM
ShansLexGS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike813
Could you please explain how you pulled the guide bolt/pin out of the bracket? Is it as simple as it sounds? Grab the bolt head w/ a pair of pliers and pull it out or what? Thanks.

-Shannon