Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Toms advox coilover help

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-10, 08:27 PM
Por2LEX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toms advox coilover help

Hey guys, i just bought a set of used toms advox sport coilovers and need some help. Could someone who owns these coilovers check to see what the air pressure is set at? I just want to verify that mine are at the correct air pressure. Contacting Toms is impossible so my last resort is to contact someone who owns these. If someone could help me out that would be great.
Old 07-11-10, 12:06 PM
nolexhere
Driver

What pressure do they read?
Old 07-12-10, 01:26 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

I have a set of Tom's as well, since I bought these I've never released anything from the shock thinking it was gas filled, btw the ride quality is excelent with my 18s! as it is.
If it is air, then that makes a world of difference in this true suspension coilover setup.
As for pressure(if its air), the more the air pressure the stiffer its going to ride.
I would check the current ap, in each corner before making any decision on how much to fill.
Old 07-13-10, 04:55 AM
blk&blu*j
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Por2LEX
Hey guys, i just bought a set of used toms advox sport coilovers and need some help. Could someone who owns these coilovers check to see what the air pressure is set at? I just want to verify that mine are at the correct air pressure. Contacting Toms is impossible so my last resort is to contact someone who owns these. If someone could help me out that would be great.

I have a set of Toms in my RHD Supra and I went through this 2 yrs ago.

The info came from a Toms representative.
The coilovers are nitrogen filled and require between 8-12 psi max the nitrogen is just there to help control some rebound and not for the control of ride height.

I can also tell you that in my Supra the valve stems on the bottom of your tube close to the mounting point is a schrader valve and needs to be replaced occasionally.

Hope this helps!
Old 07-13-10, 10:16 AM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You want to leave nitrogen in it as it doesn't fluctuate nearly as much as air.
Old 07-14-10, 10:12 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Great info guys! Yes there is a nipple on the bottom of the
Shock I think I'm going to leave it alone

Thank you both
Old 07-15-10, 07:59 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Hi guys, I just got an email from overseas stating they are gas filled coilovers and max is 7kg of pressure.
Old 08-04-10, 10:10 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

I just emailed them as well and asked for PSI directly. We'll see what they say. That seems to negate the earlier posting of 8-12PSI. An online convertor shows 7kg = 99lbs square inch. I just got new valves for mine.
Old 08-06-10, 10:17 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Are the valves you used are a regular air valve that's on tires? Where are you getting a nitrogen from to refill?

Thanks
Old 08-08-10, 02:40 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Yeah schrader valves. Most 4x4 shops can do it.
Old 09-22-10, 08:09 PM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

Finally checked my PSI today 7-25-20-0

That's no bueno. No oil came out so I'm installing new valves tomorrow and filling em up just as soon as Tom's replies with the correct kG for the GS platform. This post is #1 on Google search results so I figured I'll post my findings for future searchers. It was so easy to do I can't believe I waited as long as I did...
Old 09-24-10, 08:30 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Newchapter
Finally checked my PSI today 7-25-20-0

That's no bueno. No oil came out so I'm installing new valves tomorrow and filling em up just as soon as Tom's replies with the correct kG for the GS platform. This post is #1 on Google search results so I figured I'll post my findings for future searchers. It was so easy to do I can't believe I waited as long as I did...
Ive been back and forth with them about replacing my springs with a higher spring rates. Max pressure is 7kg which is about 93 psi.
They also told me the the # on the springs are indicating the kgs, like mine says TW766-77.

The crazy thing is that they told me its 6.6-7.7kg, which doesnt make any sence. I emaled them about this so waiting on the reply.
Waiting for emails from them is like pulling teeth. lol
Old 09-25-10, 03:11 AM
Newchapter
Lead Lap

lol I'm in the same boat, they never reply... but if you send them an email saying you want to BUY a set, they respond rather quickly... bummer.

Mine are for a GS but they all seemed way too low. Bought new valves and they all get filled Tuesday. I'll take a look at springs tomorrow... but that seems weird that they use spring rate to determine kg... makes some sense I suppose....

Last edited by Newchapter; 09-25-10 at 03:14 AM.
Old 09-27-10, 07:21 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Thats a nice GS man, post a pic or 2

Are your spings also very soft and luxury feel? For my SC they are like riding on a cloud, very very soft.
So I am going with eibach race springs for replacement, to get more performance rather than comfort. I hope to have some time this wed or thur to take them off to measure for precise fitment. Just havent made up my mind about what sring rate to go with.

Let us know how it goes... when you say too low do you mean low right hight or low psi wise?
We'll keep this on on the top of google search so people can see some reviews or info.

Originally Posted by Newchapter
lol I'm in the same boat, they never reply... but if you send them an email saying you want to BUY a set, they respond rather quickly... bummer.

Mine are for a GS but they all seemed way too low. Bought new valves and they all get filled Tuesday. I'll take a look at springs tomorrow... but that seems weird that they use spring rate to determine kg... makes some sense I suppose....

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 09-27-10 at 07:41 PM.
Old 09-27-10, 07:38 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Oh just got an email from them again and here it how it goes

Dear Sir,
Thank you for your reply.

It is 7.7kg. not 77kg.

The hardest spring which we have is 9kg.

I think that it is hard to use this Advox for a circuit drive and drift.

And thats a huge question to me "what rate do I use now?" This sux, because even 9kg what does it even comes to in lb? I dont think there are any spings in us that are that weak.
Anyones help would be appreciate it, please chime in if you know.

Ok guys just figured some of this out. They measure Kg/mm which is not whats written above, I was just searching coilover springs on famous google cam across swift springs replacement with any coilovers and they have this beautiful chart that would convert everything and you need about springs in kg and all that.
http://www.upgrademotoring.com/suspe...ft_coil_65.htm

Last edited by LEXXIUM; 09-27-10 at 07:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Toms advox coilover help