Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

SC300 Front End Clanking Noise????

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-10, 05:10 PM
WTESC300
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SC300 Front End Clanking Noise????

Hey this is my first post I am looking for some major help I would be so grateful if I can find out the problem. I do apologize for not making an introduction on the new members thread. I recently purchased my 1998 SC300 with close to 117K miles and after driving it for about a few weeks I have been hearing this annoying clank coming from the front end of the car. It is not constant so when I took it to the mechanic they could not figure out the problem. After some lurking on the forums I thought maybe its the LCA or maybe the streering rack and pinion.

I ordered new Supra LCAs and Daizen steering rack bushings in hopes of ridding the noise. I picked the car up from the shop where I had it all installed and drove it home. I was happy the steering was nice and tight and did not hear any noise but after several miles the noise reappeared like it always did before. Please if its not the LCAs or steering rack and pinion what else could it be???

The noise only happens when I slowly ease on the brakes and not when slamming on the brakes. It happens from time to time on any kind of roads. Could it be my stock brakes? Because another member on here seems to have had the same issue but only when he goes over bumpshttps://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...tle-sc400.html he upgraded to LS400 BBKs and the noise went away. Should I go ahead and upgrade or is there another solution?
Old 06-14-10, 07:58 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it do it when you are making turns loading up the suspension on either side? I would check the sway bar endlinks and bushings as well.
Old 06-14-10, 08:56 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by WTESC300

The noise only happens when I slowly ease on the brakes and not when slamming on the brakes. It happens from time to time on any kind of roads. Could it be my stock brakes?
Yes, you definitely want to check out your brake calipers for sticking on the slide pins

Brake upgrades are always nice, but don't do it just as a troubleshooting guess. Find out what's causing the noise first, then decide what you want to spend your money on

Last edited by good2go; 06-14-10 at 09:00 PM.
Old 06-14-10, 08:59 PM
WTESC300
Driver School Candidate

It does it randomly at the most random times, the noise occurs sometimes when turning but happens mostly when driving normally and I mean normally as in just driving straight and coming to a stop while lightly braking I don't know any other way to describe it, but its driving me insane!
Old 06-14-10, 09:05 PM
WTESC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
Yes, you definitely want to check out your brake calipers for sticking on the slide pins

Brake upgrades are always nice, but don't do it just as a troubleshooting guess. Find out what's causing the noise first, then decide what you want to spend your money on
Great advice I really don't want to spend anymore money since I just bought the car as a daily. I love everything so far besides this noise >=( BTW what do you mean by sticking on the slide pins?
Old 06-14-10, 09:16 PM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

The front calipers on the SC are a 'floating' type.
The caliper itself slides on "pins" in relation to the hub assembly/rotor to allow good clamping even as the pads/rotors wear.
I suspect one (or both) of the floating pins may be binding on the caliper as it moves along those slides.

Just a hunch though. Could be something else too.
Old 06-14-10, 09:22 PM
WTESC300
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
The front calipers on the SC are a 'floating' type.
The caliper itself slides on "pins" in relation to the hub assembly/rotor to allow good clamping even as the pads/rotors wear.
I suspect one (or both) of the floating pins may be binding on the caliper as it moves along those slides.

Just a hunch though. Could be something else too.
Ah I see thanks for explaining it to me I will have to check it out, sigh I hope to find the source of this noise very soon...
Old 06-14-10, 09:47 PM
SChema
Lexus Champion

Before dropping any money, I would start by loading the suspension by standing on the door sills and slightly hopping one side at a time. If you get the noise, you could possibly rule out your brakes and narrow down to suspension only.
Old 07-01-10, 02:29 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

An often overlooked area can be your front suspension CROSS MEMBER mounting bolts. Make sure ALL your cross member bolts are torque to the correct specs and you may as well make sure everything suspension wise is tighten down their as well. Good luck and lets us know what the culprit was.
Old 07-01-10, 08:20 PM
LexAnt
Lexus Champion

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...em-w-pics.html

try that
Old 07-01-10, 09:41 PM
dwebb99
Lexus Test Driver

Good find, that's the thread to see/read. This thread should really be a sticky. It's kinda odd that most car guys forget this very simple procedure/check when dealing with suspension maintenance and/or issues. Basically, just make sure your (old) car is BOLTED together TIGHTLY! Wear and tear just gets things loosey goosey, plain and simple. Happens to cars, happens to people, it's natures way... but nothing a wrench can't fix!
Old 08-12-10, 01:28 AM
WTESC300
Driver School Candidate

Update! Wow after months of stressful work trying to find the source of this noise it finally comes to a stop. Brought it to three different mechanics who could not for the life of them figure out what the problem was! I even had the crossmember retorqued but nothing!

So finally I said enough was enough and brought it to a professional Lexus Toyota shop who found out the problem in half a day. Turns out both my front calipers were bad, the pad brackets were bad so I was experiencing pad slap. Had them immediately do an overhaul and replace everything brand new and now it now rides like a dream!!

Now finally onto my rims! lol