Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-17, 04:13 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

The shop could have easily removed the bushing by using an air hammer and hammering in metal sleeve until it mushrooms inward. They will press out easily this way. Takes me less than 5 minutes per arm.

It's been years since I did the bushing install but what I did was remove the lower shock bolt and loosen the three top nuts so the whole knuckle moves freely. If you can remove the entire shock assembly then that's even better. The point is to get lower control arms to move freely so you can wiggle things around. Use a wrench to maneuver the caster arm and place a jack under the knuckle if you need to raise the assembly.
Old 05-21-17, 04:48 PM
lyonkster
Advanced

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAirRckt
Anyone have tips to make it easier to line the bolts up the arms better? Usually I fight with it to get it in, but coming out is a piece of cake.
I also struggled with that quite a bit, I think loosening the ball joint might have provided more play and made things easier.

And can anyone restore the photos in the first post?
Done. .

Personally, if I did it again, I'd just get new OEM arms from Lexus and put them in. All this bushing pressing and swapping is just not worth the effort (for me). But to each their own, and it was a fun project at the time .
Old 05-21-17, 06:29 PM
lexo98
Racer

Received 265 Likes on 227 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster
I also struggled with that quite a bit, I think loosening the ball joint might have provided more play and made things easier.

Done. .

Personally, if I did it again, I'd just get new OEM arms from Lexus and put them in. All this bushing pressing and swapping is just not worth the effort (for me). But to each their own, and it was a fun project at the time .
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Twt47cvQFjY
The following users liked this post:
LexusK (05-24-17)
Old 05-21-17, 09:23 PM
RamAirRckt
Instructor

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

This was factory 1998 arms, very rusted (Minnesota car that has been "down south" in Chicago area for the last 7 years or so). It wasn't gonna come off with an air hammer without damaging the arm. The machinist was in his 70's and cussing away because it was so tight. Crazy tight. Even cutting it with a saw to break the tension still took a lot of work to get the shell out. It was in there and determined to stay.

The press he used was one he made, a hydraulic press (20t) that had a hydraulic pump on it with foot pedal control. It was slick. Going in was a piece of cake, but tearing it down was TOUGH.

The beauty? He charged me $10.... for both arms!
tiguy99 (06-01-17)
Old 08-14-17, 07:51 PM
Maltrix
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So is the overall conscientious that the Dazien bushing kit isn't good? My recent GS430 came with the kit for the front and I was thinking about installing it since I have it. But seeing as it might develop a clunk and the rubber up front(think PO installed some moog parts in 2015) is in decent shape IDK if it's worth it.
Old 09-09-17, 07:19 AM
Maltrix
Rookie

Alright so im going to put these in anyway.If it develops a clunk down the road ill deal with it then. Someone mentioned NOT removing the the inner ring with the bushing as instructed by the OP. But that's in the instructions so I dont think that would be an option. I'm wondering if there is a cheap/easy way to sure up the slack with the sleeve and stud? Perhaps some kind of adhesive tape or maybe JB weld/epoxy? Or was the slack purposefully designed to allow some articulation?Just trying to get some ideas it's kind of an interesting challenge to me.
Old 09-09-17, 07:25 AM
Maltrix
Rookie

I also have new Moog UCA to install. Something in me doesn't like the idea of replacing brand new rubber lol. Is it worth it to pop out the bushings and install the poly ones? If I dont ill have poly on the caster arms #1 and #2 and rubber up top. I have already replaced the sway bars and power steering rack with Daizen so I don't really know if the UCA will make any difference.

Car is still new to me and I'm just trying to get ride of the 60+mph shake. Don't really need the car to handle like a BMW but dont know how it handles stock vs all poly vs a combination of the two.
Old 12-22-17, 04:03 PM
AL1963
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

just did the front left after reading the thread. I cut the metal sleeve and air chiseled the bushing out. Used a 12 ton press to put new bushing in place, I bought Febest # TAB-187 OEM 48670-30280 off ebay for my 2004 GS300. Then I jacked up front of car slowly until the bolt holes lines up . Didn't need a wrench to twist the arm to line up the holes. thanks for the thread and pics.
Old 01-20-18, 03:04 PM
whitelex43
Driver School Candidate

Just attempted to replace my 4 year old Daizens with Figs bushings, unfortunately the mechanic that installed the Daizens cross threaded my control arms. I threw the Figs I bought on ebay and am going to install OEM arms from 03-05 as they are supposed to be TRD bushings in them. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 01-20-18, 09:19 PM
pizdets17
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I've had my Daizens for 6 years. No clunk.
Old 01-30-18, 03:59 AM
whitelex43
Driver School Candidate

After going from 4 year old Daizens to the 03-05 OEM arms my overall impression is a much smoother and more compliant ride. Very happy with the improved ride quality, handling did not suffer at all.
Old 02-02-18, 06:22 PM
anbkpl5
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Man you have been a huge help. Lexus in Dallas was going to charge me $1400 to do this for a $55 part that I can do myself. Thanks for your help brother.

Tony

'04 SC430, Twilight Amethyst
'07 ES350, Silver
'10 LS 460L Black
"05 ES330
Old 01-07-19, 09:35 PM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

Originally Posted by lyonkster

Done. .

Just installed mine today. Bought them from metro1969 and the package was delivered in 2 days. New Lexus/Toyota parts are beefier.
Struggled a whole lot (almost 45 minutes) with extra jack and then reached out for the 18" adjustable wrench. Grabbed the arm close to the rubber bushing and with minimal twist the holes lined up. I could thread by hand both the long bolts by rocking the adjustable wrench. Will be making alignment appointment.

Salim
lyonkster (06-19-19)
Old 11-15-19, 02:24 AM
Delp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi there I'm from U.K are there any suppliers in the u.k?
Old 11-15-19, 11:31 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Look for Superpro bushings. They're better quality and have much better customer service

Quick Reply: DIY - Daizen Caster Arm Bushing Installation - lots of pics!