Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Help.. I want a Big Brake Setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-02, 09:19 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Help.. I want a Big Brake Setup

Well guys, I would like to purchase either RMM or the Supra brakes but was told by Steve Ganz that I need to find out if they will fit with my wheels. What do I need to know? I currently have 19x8.5 Lowenharts BR-5's all around. Not sure what the offset is? Anyone have the answer.... I checked the search and didn't find any big brakes with BR-5's. Thanks
Old 06-02-02, 09:50 PM
RacingAristo

Um.... You could take your car to Carson Toyota and ask Steve to take a look for you. I wasn't sure about my offsets either so I asked Steve to measure to make sure the supratt can fit in.
Old 06-02-02, 09:51 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't think offset alone will "guarantee" if your wheels will fit. I think it is also dependent on how your wheel design clears the caliper body. Since you have 19s, I know there won't be a clearance problem with the diameter, but it's the center of the wheel "plus" offset that may be an issue.

The best way to find out is to try your wheels on a car that has it.

I just happened to make a template of my RMM calipers out of stiff cardboard. You can place this template on any wheel. If it doesn't touch your rim, then your rim will clear.

I don't know if I can convert the template outline into a file that everyone can just access on the web. I won't have a chance to try something until next weekend.

I'll post if I am successful, along with some photos of what the template looks like and how to use it.

Old 06-03-02, 05:18 PM
LXOGOOD
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I guess I'll leave this one to the pro's so they can measure.
Old 06-06-02, 01:06 AM
MRGS400nSoCali
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Ken, You can try to put your rim on Manaray's car with his HUGE AP set-up and if they clear and they should be good to go. I'm gonna ask him, before I even think about ordering that AP brake kit, if I can put one of my lowenharts on his front to see if there will be enough clearance. I do believe that the Lowenharts for our cars come in a +38 offset, at least that's what mine is (you can see it by looking at the back of the rim).

Also, I had a supra with my 19 inch enkei's that I had one before and those enkei's had a +44 offset and there was at least a good 1/2+ inch of clearance so I think you might be fine but I would check to make sure.
Old 06-07-02, 12:36 AM
Manaray
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The design of the wheel and the "disk setting" of the wheel matters also...for example, you can have a +38 Low Disk and that will not clear the brakes...but a +40 Hi Disk would even though the offset of the hi disk is lower...(remember, the higher the "+" number, the lower or closer to the car it is...)