Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Replace or keep factory springs?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-19, 10:45 PM
guydlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace or keep factory springs?

Hello I am going to replace the suspension on my 95 SC300. I want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible (height and feel). I'm looking at struts on rock auto etc. and mostly everything has to be purchased separately (strut, strut mount, bellow). I'm having a hard time finding springs and I'm wondering if I should just keep the original springs and replace everything else? Also noob question here but is a coilover just a word to describe a strut/coil/mount combo that is sold as a unit? I'm seeing some coilovers advertised that vary greatly in price (low 200's-1000+) and I'm wondering what my best bet would be- new coilovers or just new struts/mounts and keep the OG springs? I'm not looking for increased performance, just a smooth ride without lowering the vehicle or breaking the bank. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-01-19, 11:06 AM
RudysSC
Pole Position

Received 1,197 Likes on 830 Posts

Keep your stock springs, install new (as nice as possible oem like) struts, upper mounts, etc and you'll retain a nice factory ride. Typically springs don't go bad unless you have a TON of mileage that's worn them over time.
Old 11-02-19, 12:37 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ KYB GR-2's are a reasonable OEM replacement shock absorber for 92-00 SC's when re-using the stock springs. KYB also sells replacement top hats if any of those are worn out but that's usually not the case.
Old 11-04-19, 07:36 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by guydlow
Hello I am going to replace the suspension on my 95 SC300. I want to keep the ride as close to stock as possible (height and feel). I'm looking at struts on rock auto etc. and mostly everything has to be purchased separately (strut, strut mount, bellow). I'm having a hard time finding springs and I'm wondering if I should just keep the original springs and replace everything else? Also noob question here but is a coilover just a word to describe a strut/coil/mount combo that is sold as a unit? I'm seeing some coilovers advertised that vary greatly in price (low 200's-1000+) and I'm wondering what my best bet would be- new coilovers or just new struts/mounts and keep the OG springs? I'm not looking for increased performance, just a smooth ride without lowering the vehicle or breaking the bank. Thanks everyone!
I put Tokiko blues on my white auto, it rides really nice with those on there. I put the Tein Street Basis on my red manual, not a good choice for a street car, too harsh rebound for bumpy bridges, etc. On the black race car, I used Bilsteins and it is a good set up for the track. Just depends on what you want to do with the car.
Old 11-05-19, 06:16 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

I installed the Tein Street Advanced fully adjustable coilovers on my car and have been impressed so far. I can tighten them up for track days and lower the car(although i found a height I'm happy with for both track and street) I do make them stiffer for better launches or just cornering compared to when i drive on the street. they have been on for 3 years and 20k miles so far no issues

They were only like 797 or something for all 4. I had a blown out rear and Toyota Lexus wanted 250+ a piece
Old 12-24-19, 12:20 PM
BeigeSC300
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by scsexy
I installed the Tein Street Advanced fully adjustable coilovers on my car and have been impressed so far.
I would like to get those but only the Flex-Z are available. Looking for a mild replacement.
Old 01-03-20, 09:16 PM
guydlow
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the input everyone! I have put off the new suspension due to more mechanical problems. I believe my ECU has a problem. I shipped it out to a business on ebay (module mechanics) that supposedly fixes them. Let's just say I wouldn't recommend them. I have to solve this issue before spending $ on a new suspension.
Old 01-04-20, 07:13 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by guydlow
I appreciate the input everyone! I have put off the new suspension due to more mechanical problems. I believe my ECU has a problem. I shipped it out to a business on ebay (module mechanics) that supposedly fixes them. Let's just say I wouldn't recommend them. I have to solve this issue before spending $ on a new suspension.
use tanin... [