Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Suspension horror.....

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-10, 01:02 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suspension horror.....

This will be a bit long so please bare with me and all is appreciated.

Okay here's the deal. Since I bought my car it was on stock suspension last year I purchased a new set of Stance Coilovers. I've replaced only the front LBJ (lower ball joint). I have yet to replaced the tie rods. Something I noticed after my installation of my coilovers (note that they are new). My friend and I have adjusted the coil height right on the spot for the fronts and rears. The pre-load was just a double check to make sure its snug. Installed in my car and noticed that my front passenger sits a bit lower than my front driver side. My rear passenger side sat really lower than my rear driver side. Now I got frustrated because I've never installed an even height coilover adjustment to execute a lop-sided vehicle height. Purchased a set of Sage RCA and only installed the rears, the camber setting was lovely I have nothing negative to say about them but after installing them my toe can never be zero'd out or at its driveable settings. My brand new tires got chewed up within 7 months. Took the RCA's off and drove it without them.

My coilovers now to drive at a perfect height is that my whole driverside front and rear are set a bit lower to match all my passenger side front and rear. Which means one side is lower setting and one side is higher setting to get its even height point. Another thing I noticed was the bottoming out on my front passenger. Lastly my rear passenger toe still can't get zero'd out without the RCA, it seems like my car was hit somewhere on the rear passenger from the previous owner hence the uneven quarter panel body work.

I've now ride my car at 4x4 height when I went to San Francisco for WekFest. I then did another alignment work there at a firestone I googled up when i was up there. Here is my printout.

This is with my car up high with my coilovers.... something about my whole right side is off. As for caster, the only way to fix that is replace the bushing or replace the whole caster arm (lower control arm no. 2) I suppose. The rears Im going to get the megan toe rods from ebay that a couple of 2GS owners on here are using. Can anybody help me on anything that may be fishy or that I can check up on?

Dara
Old 03-13-10, 01:27 PM
RMMGS4
Northern California Regional Officer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Don't know if you knew I helped pioneer the first adjustable RCAs introduced by Exact and I did a write up on the suspension section (Do a search). On that thread I advised the importance to make sure you get the toe right. You went to FIRESTONE in NorCal based off of Google? I would of hooked you up with my local alignment guy who has aligned all the local GS's with adjustable RCAs without issue for a couple years now.

Oh well, Next time you're up north let me know.

Last edited by RMMGS4; 03-13-10 at 01:45 PM.
Old 03-13-10, 01:36 PM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by RMMGS4
Don't know if you knew I helped pioneer the first adjustable RCAs introduced by Exact and I did a write up on the suspension section (Do a search). On that thread I advised the importance to make sure you get the toe right. You went to FIRESTONE in NorCal based off of Google? I would of hooked you up with my local alignment guy who has aligned all the local GS's with adjustable RCAs without issue for a couple years now.

Oh well, Next time you're up north let me know.
Glen, well this recent alignment was without the RCA's it was pretty much stock except the coilovers but it was raised up. The Firestone I went to was at 1200 Larkin st. I think I remembered reading your thread about the RCA's once but that was oh so long ago, I'll search that up and read it. The toe and RCA issue isnt that much of a biggie to me, it's pretty much why my rear right toe couldnt get into spec and the bottom out on my front right when Im lowered. I hear the UCA hitting from my front right and none from my front left at an even height. Also the wonder's of why I have to set coil settings differ from each side just to get an even level. Im looking to replace my front caster arms.

I wanted to meet you during that weekend of WekFest but I just didnt know I had so much to do there especially for the first time.

Dara
Old 03-14-10, 12:30 AM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I notice some alignment shops in Hawaii that try to loosen the adjustable camber or toe bolts...but if they can't loosen it at first attempt....they won't try again....esp true for the older alignment techs...i guess they don't want to pull a muscle..haa haa haa.

I've taken off my rear toe rod...and the range in that toe rod bolt and hole is much wider than the camber bolt/hole.

At what position is that passenger side rear toe rod bolt? Can you take a pic of it?

Last edited by PHML; 03-14-10 at 04:10 AM.
Old 03-14-10, 12:58 AM
Sash1mi
Lexus Champion

Yes I can take a picture of the toe rod bolt. Ill do that tomorrow.

Dara