Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Creaking / squeeking noise from rear. Did a search, but didn't find all the answers..

Old 03-11-10, 01:19 PM
vespid82
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Creaking / squeeking noise from rear. Did a search, but didn't find all the answers..

I will try to describe this to the best of my ability to get some help in the easiest way possible. I have a 1995 SC400 with nearly 210,000 miles on it. I can't really make any complaints about it, especially given the miles. However, this latest problem is driving me up the friggin wall! A few months ago, after a night of driving through some pretty heavy rain, I noticed a creaking / squeeking noise coming from my passenger rear wheel. It almost sounded like loose lugs, so I went to tighten them, only to find they were already pretty snug. I just decided to drive it a little more and see what happened. I have another car, so I wasn't driving this one ALL the time, but when I went to drive it a few days ago, I noticed a LOUDER version of the creaking noise and what almost sounded like bad brake pads. I looked at the front and rear pads and didn't really see a LOT of wear but noticed that the passenger front pads weren't wearing evenly. That led to me having to replace the caliper pins as one had locked up, causing the pad to wear unevenly. Well, then I went to the rear of the car and saw that the brakes seemed fine, but noticed a LOT of play in the rear passenger wheel when I had it off the ground. I compared it with the driver's side which has NONE and knew something was wrong. I removed the wheel and found that the nut that holds the axle in the hub was so loose, I could turn it with my hand! I removed the cotter pin, tightened the nut, reinstalled the wheel and went for a drive. The sounds was all gone! Everything sounded as it should... for about a minute. Then the creaking came back... and got louder... and louder... to where it was almost a constant loud squeal! Whenever I turn to the right, the sound goes away. Whenever I turn to the left, it stays the same or gets louder. Now, from what I've been reading, this sounds like a wheel bearing problem, correct? If that is the case, does it sound like it's beyond the point of salvaging the hub, or should I wait til I tear it all apart to see if the hub has been damaged? Also, if water can "wash" all the grease from the hub (at least that's what it seems like happened to it) then is it possible to service / regrease the bearings? I thought sure they were sealed but I'm not sure anymore. ANY input on this situation would be greatly appreciated and any questions will be answered as quickly as I can. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by vespid82; 03-11-10 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-12-10, 05:35 AM
vespid82
Driver School Candidate

Wow, 20 views and no replies? Any ideas?
Old 03-12-10, 07:01 AM
azmortgage
Driver School Candidate

I have the same issue, but i think it is the suspension. I will let you know when it comes out of the shop
Old 03-12-10, 10:10 AM
good2go
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vespid82
I will try to describe this to the best of my ability to get some help in the easiest way possible. I have a 1995 SC400 with nearly 210,000 miles on it. I can't really make any complaints about it, especially given the miles. However, this latest problem is driving me up the friggin wall! A few months ago, after a night of driving through some pretty heavy rain, I noticed a creaking / squeeking noise coming from my passenger rear wheel. It almost sounded like loose lugs, so I went to tighten them, only to find they were already pretty snug. I just decided to drive it a little more and see what happened. I have another car, so I wasn't driving this one ALL the time, but when I went to drive it a few days ago, I noticed a LOUDER version of the creaking noise and what almost sounded like bad brake pads. I looked at the front and rear pads and didn't really see a LOT of wear but noticed that the passenger front pads weren't wearing evenly. That led to me having to replace the caliper pins as one had locked up, causing the pad to wear unevenly. Well, then I went to the rear of the car and saw that the brakes seemed fine, but noticed a LOT of play in the rear passenger wheel when I had it off the ground. I compared it with the driver's side which has NONE and knew something was wrong. I removed the wheel and found that the nut that holds the axle in the hub was so loose, I could turn it with my hand! I removed the cotter pin, tightened the nut, reinstalled the wheel and went for a drive. The sounds was all gone! Everything sounded as it should... for about a minute. Then the creaking came back... and got louder... and louder... to where it was almost a constant loud squeal! Whenever I turn to the right, the sound goes away. Whenever I turn to the left, it stays the same or gets louder. Now, from what I've been reading, this sounds like a wheel bearing problem, correct? If that is the case, does it sound like it's beyond the point of salvaging the hub, or should I wait til I tear it all apart to see if the hub has been damaged? Also, if water can "wash" all the grease from the hub (at least that's what it seems like happened to it) then is it possible to service / regrease the bearings? I thought sure they were sealed but I'm not sure anymore. ANY input on this situation would be greatly appreciated and any questions will be answered as quickly as I can. Thanks in advance.
I don't believe a properly lubed and installed wheel bearing just gets it's grease "washed away" by driving in some heavy rain water. More likely, over time, the grease was overheated and lost it's viscosity and deteriorated/dissipated as the bearing became loose (either from a failure or from lack of maintenance). I'm not that familiar with the rear axle arrangement in the sc4's, isn't there an inner cv joint(or two) involved as well? Check that boot/s for damage and leakage as well though. I don't see any harm in pulling it apart and having a look at the wheel bearing, if the only bearings involved are the 'fully contained' (bearing and race assembly together) bearings, then you may just need to pop them out, clean up the seats, and press in/on a new one.
Old 03-12-10, 10:27 AM
vespid82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by good2go
I don't believe a properly lubed and installed wheel bearing just gets it's grease "washed away" by driving in some heavy rain water. More likely, over time, the grease was overheated and lost it's viscosity and deteriorated/dissipated as the bearing became loose (either from a failure or from lack of maintenance). I'm not that familiar with the rear axle arrangement in the sc4's, isn't there an inner cv joint(or two) involved as well? Check that boot/s for damage and leakage as well though. I don't see any harm in pulling it apart and having a look at the wheel bearing, if the only bearings involved are the 'fully contained' (bearing and race assembly together) bearings, then you may just need to pop them out, clean up the seats, and press in/on a new one.
Thanks for the response. I don't think it could happen from ONE rainy night either, but that's definitely when it began. I've checked both CV axle boots and there are no cracks, and don't appear to be loose and "clunking" around or anything. From what I've seen, the bearings are full contained. In fact, you can't even get to them without pulling the CV axle out of the hub. I'm trying to decide whether I want to spend ~$50 to order a bearing online, have the car down for a few days only to risk pulling it all apart and find that the hub has been damaged too once a shop goes to press it in... or just spending ~$100 for a complete used hub AND bearing and just replace my existing parts.
Old 03-12-10, 11:10 AM
SDSC300
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

control arm bushings = creaking when they wear out, this is a very common problem
Old 03-12-10, 03:02 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Tighten down all the subframe bolts to the body as well as suspension support to the body frame to the right specs.
Old 03-12-10, 08:39 PM
TPIOlds
Driver School Candidate

Might be that the subframe is cracked!!!
Old 03-13-10, 10:29 AM
vespid82
Driver School Candidate

All subframe bolts seem to be in order. The noise has turned into more of a grinding / metal to metal squealing sound when rolling and it DOES go away once weight transfers to the driver's side (right turn) so I'm thinking it's the bearing. Sucks.
Old 03-13-10, 01:12 PM
zhillz
Lead Lap

Definitely the bearing
Old 03-14-10, 10:43 AM
TPIOlds
Driver School Candidate

Better a bearing than a subframe
Old 03-15-10, 01:33 PM
vespid82
Driver School Candidate

Well, I just pulled the right rear axle carrier off, and the inner cover of the bearing literally FELL OFF as I removed it from the car. I found very little grease along with metal filings inside the bearing as well as a worn down hub. So that was definitely the problem. Which brings up another question out of hope for convenience. Aside from the Supra, does the SC300 / 400 share it's hub with any other vehicles? GS or LS perhaps? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-16-10, 11:24 AM
topdog849
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i posted a thread about this tsb
Old 03-20-10, 12:53 PM
vespid82
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by topdog849
i posted a thread about this tsb
If you're referring to this - https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ing-noise.html that's not what was wrong with my car. It was the wheel bearing.
Old 03-21-10, 10:06 PM
mk4r34
Pole Position

Sorry to gear.I'm encountering the same thing.Still am until I figure out how to get the upper arm bolt out or replace the whole arm,the only thing we couldn't get off even with an hour of hitting it with a hammerI know it's hub/bearing my hub nut was loose loose.Anywho ask Aliga he quoted me I think $150 shipped for the hub and i think axle ijcluded too.I have a local Lexus parts place that I can pick one up used for about 75-100$.just look around.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Creaking / squeeking noise from rear. Did a search, but didn't find all the answers..