Is Supra steering rack shorter ratio? Swappable? - Page 2 - ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

Notices
Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Is Supra steering rack shorter ratio? Swappable?

Reply

 
 
 
Old 03-27-10, 06:39 PM
  #16  
Zar
Rookie
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ca
Posts: 93
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by ogre View Post
there is a company that sells spindles that have the mount for the tie rod closer to the center of the spindle. those will give you what your looking for. ill see if i can find it again
Yeah, a few companies out are now selling pre modded spindles. Or he could just cut and shorten the stock one himself/locally.


The Supra rack will give you more angle from lock to lock.
Zar is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-17, 11:54 PM
  #17  
JMal
Driver School Candidate
 
JMal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 21
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default SC430 steering rack conversion

How did you go swapping the SC430 rack with the JZA70 Supra rack?
JMal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 04:16 PM
  #18  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,481
Thanked 109 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by JMal View Post
How did you go swapping the SC430 rack with the JZA70 Supra rack?
I have never heard of this and I don't think it is possible. The SC430/Soarer-Z40 steering rack is not compatible with the SC300/SC400/Soarer-Z30 steering rack. Further, I don't think a Supra JZA70 MKIII rack is compatible with the SC430/Z40 chassis.

Were you actually intending this go into the SC430 sub-forum?

The steering rack on the LHD SC300/SC400 is physically identical to the one on the LHD Supra MKIV. There is a VERY minor steering ratio change but it is extremely negligible.

The steering rack is noticeably faster, however, on 1991-2000 Japan-market RHD Soarer Z30's. Even faster, if I am correct, on the very limited 1991-1996(?) Soarer Z30 UZZ32 Active. Of course neither of the RHD Soarer racks are useful for LHD SC300/400's.

JMal, in your locale the bottom line is that if you pick up any RHD 1991-2000 Soarer you will automatically have a faster steering ratio than we got in our LHD American market versions. That is, unless something has changed in recent years on the ability to import Japan grey market cars into Australia.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 03-29-17 at 04:19 PM.
KahnBB6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-17, 04:40 PM
  #19  
JMal
Driver School Candidate
 
JMal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: NSW
Posts: 21
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Quicken SC430 steering

Thank you. Yes, sorry, thought it was an SC430 thread. Appreciate your help.
JMal is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-17, 08:41 PM
  #20  
Michael3UZ
Rookie
 
Michael3UZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 60
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
Even faster, if I am correct, on the very limited 1991-1996(?) Soarer Z30 UZZ32 Active. Of course neither of the RHD Soarer racks are useful for LHD SC300/400's.
That is correct, UZZ32s got 14.5:1 vs 16.5:1 for normal JZZ30 / UZZ30/31 etc.

I have a UZZ32 and that fast rack is probably one of my favorite aspects, such nice turning, very un-Toyota like.

Of course the active suspension and rear steering makes it even better again!
Michael3UZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-17, 01:29 PM
  #21  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,481
Thanked 109 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Michael3UZ View Post
That is correct, UZZ32s got 14.5:1 vs 16.5:1 for normal JZZ30 / UZZ30/31 etc.

I have a UZZ32 and that fast rack is probably one of my favorite aspects, such nice turning, very un-Toyota like.

Of course the active suspension and rear steering makes it even better again!
I bet it does!!

Although I was under the impression that even the JDM RHD JZZ and UZZ models still had a faster steering rack than the USDM and Canadian LHD JZZ31's and UZZ31's (and LHD/Export Supra MKIV's). Isn't that true?

For those of us in the Americas, even a normal RHD Soarer Z30 should have a noticeably faster steering ratio. A UZZ32 would be a night and day difference compared to a LHD Lexus model.
KahnBB6 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-17, 05:35 AM
  #22  
Michael3UZ
Rookie
 
Michael3UZ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: New Zealand
Posts: 60
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by KahnBB6 View Post
I bet it does!!

Although I was under the impression that even the JDM RHD JZZ and UZZ models still had a faster steering rack than the USDM and Canadian LHD JZZ31's and UZZ31's (and LHD/Export Supra MKIV's). Isn't that true?

For those of us in the Americas, even a normal RHD Soarer Z30 should have a noticeably faster steering ratio. A UZZ32 would be a night and day difference compared to a LHD Lexus model.
Thats correct.

17.2:1 for the USA/CAD models.

I guess that suits the typically straighter road system!
Michael3UZ is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-17, 08:44 AM
  #23  
KahnBB6
Moderator
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: FL & CA
Posts: 4,481
Thanked 109 Times in 90 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Michael3UZ View Post
Thats correct.

17.2:1 for the USA/CAD models.

I guess that suits the typically straighter road system!
That is what Toyota seemed to think but it still makes you wonder how the faster RHD racks feel. Other than some more steering input being required I've never had challenges or complaints driving a LHD SC on very twisty roads. I don't find my steering to be Mazda levels of tightness but it's fine. In a way the US/Canadian ratio befits the SC's muscle car feel (while being night and day better than the steering in an actual 60's muscle car).

Still, I can't see why the common RHD ratio or UZZ32 ratio would be a problem here even on straight highways.
KahnBB6 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Is Supra steering rack shorter ratio? Swappable?


Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: