Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Opinion on Rotora and Ksport BBK's

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-10, 02:21 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts
Default Opinion on Rotora and Ksport BBK's

I received a few prices on both Rotora and Ksport brakes.. Is the 8pot Ksport needed for everyday driving? I've received a great price on the ksports but the 8pot seems to much for everyday driving rather its for racing application. Just wanted some feedback on both kits if available.. Thanks guys
Old 02-06-10, 02:31 PM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well, I've never used any of these BBK but I have personally been testing the D2 racing sport BBK for the last three years and have nothing but good things to say about it. I've gone through two sets of brake pads and am on my third set of pads and still on stock rotors. All I did was have the rotors cryo treated prior to installation. I've tracked the crap out of my GS in the past and have been up to the Tail of the Dragon a total of six times with many runs through it resulting to the point where the brakes would smoke up when coming to a stop and no fade at all. I was very hesitant to try out D2 BBK in the beginning since their was little to no data to back up there reputation. But since I was doing testing for D2 Racing, I thought what the heck, I'll just try it out. I have nothing but good things to say about this BBK. I have plenty of friends that all are using D2 products on their cars and feel the same. The only thing I would recommend is after your initial pads wear out, get a premium pads from Carbotech. Very very good pads.
Old 02-06-10, 02:47 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Are D2 brakes 4,6,or 8 pot? I've heard of them but never heard people using them.. I just had this thought in my head that 8pot is for racing and 4-6 pot more for everyday driving and more of a match for the rear.. If i go 8pot in the front the balance from front to rear braking would be off right?
Old 02-06-10, 03:24 PM
njs
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know there's guys on the supra forums using k sport brakes.. Also k sport is starting to show up in more drift events.. Don't know if that helps lol..
Old 02-06-10, 04:36 PM
fro20
Driver

There are many 4 and 6 pot used for racing as well. It all depends on the build of the brakes, mono bloc billet, cast alum, steel?

In all I am just not the biggest fan of KSport. But if it is a great deal being swayed is always easy.

Brake bias will be off no matter what caliper you go to. Will be it be off too much, dont know, need to know the piston sizes of all the pinchers to calculate the ratio.

I would go rotora over KSport, unless your deal is just amazing. Not sure if they have any brackets fo it, but wilwood are great brakes too.

Jeremy
Old 02-07-10, 11:32 AM
Alexus_300
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Are D2 brakes 4,6,or 8 pot? I've heard of them but never heard people using them.. I just had this thought in my head that 8pot is for racing and 4-6 pot more for everyday driving and more of a match for the rear.. If i go 8pot in the front the balance from front to rear braking would be off right?
D2 offers 4,6,8 and 12 piston caliper. But for the 2gs, they offer it with the 6,8, or 12 piston. I personally have tried the 8 and 12 piston front caliper before and found that the 12 piston is overkill for any use since it utilize 385mm rotor. Therefore, I'm currently running the 8 piston 355mm kit in the front with upgraded Ferrodo pads and ss lines in the rear. Brake bias I've found irrelevant for almost all street use due to the fact that you must adjust your driving habits. With a BBK, you tap the brakes to slow down instead of standing on top of it. I will however say that in certain situations where you must come to an abrupt stop, you'll notice some front end dive. But again, this can be solve with suspension and contact surface.
Old 02-09-10, 10:40 PM
fro20
Driver

I could be wrong, but KSport and D2 products look, externally anyway, to be exactly the same. Brakes and coils. BUt ones purple and ones orange. I am sure this has been discussed, just saying. If your gonna get one of them, get the cheaper one.

Jeremy
Old 02-10-10, 05:55 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by fro20
I could be wrong, but KSport and D2 products look, externally anyway, to be exactly the same. Brakes and coils. BUt ones purple and ones orange. I am sure this has been discussed, just saying. If your gonna get one of them, get the cheaper one.

Jeremy
Well i received a quote for the 8pot ksport that were cheaper than the Rotoras but going cheaper is not always better. Rotora is a trusted company that has been around awhile and i have heard of 0 complaints. I do like the Rotoras as well but 8pot is just not necessary IMO for a DD.. I've also received word that the Rotoras should clear the Axis but the 8pot might be a different story..

Thanks
Old 02-10-10, 06:02 AM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Ordred Ksports for my 3GS. Couldn't pass up a good price either. The reviews on Ksport are also limited but from what little there are they seem to be positive. Not sure I like the burnt orange so maybe I'll get em' repainted.
Old 02-10-10, 08:33 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by greyhndfan
Ordred Ksports for my 3GS. Couldn't pass up a good price either. The reviews on Ksport are also limited but from what little there are they seem to be positive. Not sure I like the burnt orange so maybe I'll get em' repainted.
Did you get the 8pot BBK? I like the red.. They don't offer red?
Old 02-10-10, 09:43 AM
fro20
Driver

I prefer rotora also.

My comment above about cheaper was strictly on buying either d2 or ksport as they look to be exactly the same, only anodized purple and orange different so if you are set on them get the cheaper one.

But I like rotora better
Old 02-10-10, 11:04 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by fro20
I prefer rotora also.

My comment above about cheaper was strictly on buying either d2 or ksport as they look to be exactly the same, only anodized purple and orange different so if you are set on them get the cheaper one.

But I like rotora better
Seems like greyhndfan just bought some for his GS.. I would like his thoughts on the BBK on the car..
Old 02-10-10, 11:24 AM
greyhndfan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Did you get the 8pot BBK? I like the red.. They don't offer red?
Yup.. got the 8pot Front and 6pot Rear. They can custom paint red for you, 100 bucks per set.

I'll provide feedback when I put them on.. My order hasn't been shipped yet. I am still running stocks.. looking for some nice 20's. Right now my stockies are 17s which will fit but I'd need spacers.
Old 02-10-10, 12:06 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Originally Posted by greyhndfan
Yup.. got the 8pot Front and 6pot Rear. They can custom paint red for you, 100 bucks per set.

I'll provide feedback when I put them on.. My order hasn't been shipped yet. I am still running stocks.. looking for some nice 20's. Right now my stockies are 17s which will fit but I'd need spacers.
Thanks, keep me posted on the install and braking performance
Old 02-10-10, 05:54 PM
Big C
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have driven a car with Ksport front and rear 8/6 and it is not too much for a daily. In fact, the feeling is far superior to stock. Not overkill at all IMO. For the price I'd say they are an awesome deal.

Quick Reply: Opinion on Rotora and Ksport BBK's