Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Need Advice on Lowering my IS350 - Springs vs. Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-09, 08:56 AM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Need Advice on Lowering my IS350 - Springs vs. Coilovers

So let me preface this by saying I'm a big car suspension newbie, so if I say anything outrageously stupid, please forgive me.

I'm looking to lower my 2006 IS350 but don't want to sacrifice that silky smooth Lexus feel. I guess the only real options are lowering springs and coilovers (air is probably too ridiculous for what I'm looking to do). Are there any big advantages of coilovers vs. lower springs other than adjustability? I've tried doing some research and a lot of people are saying coilovers are overkill unless you head to the track a lot. Thoughts? Any suggestions on specific products? Thanks!
Old 12-31-09, 09:32 AM
edgeucated
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

on coilovers you can also adjust how stiff it is. on springs your stuck with only one setting. so if money isnt a big concern coilovers would be your best bet
Old 12-31-09, 11:17 AM
phongh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get coil and don't waste your time on springs.
Old 12-31-09, 11:20 AM
xuningshen
Lexus Test Driver

if you got money, coils, if you cant' afford it, springs. complete coilover always better than springs, tien SS comfort sports are really soft
Old 12-31-09, 11:42 AM
gc86
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to maintain that stock feel you're only option is the TEIN CST as xuningshen said. I too recommend going with coils but keep in mind if you don't get the CST's you will notice the harsher ride even with the dampening set to the softest setting. Having coilovers doesn't have to mean you're tracking your car they just offer the most options in terms of the cars stance and how much wheel gap you have. If you want that even look there is no other option (besides air which is expensive) you can also look into getting springs and cutting them but that is something you wouldn't want to do on any car let alone a Lexus and I've heard it compromises comfort as well.
Old 12-31-09, 01:19 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Originally Posted by gc86
I too recommend going with coils but keep in mind if you don't get the CST's you will notice the harsher ride even with the dampening set to the softest setting.
So if I DO get the TEIN Comfort Sports, it will be as soft, if not softer, than stock at the lowest setting?

Thanks for your input all. I'm surprised by the near unanimous support of coilovers. I understand that they replace springs and shocks (anything else?) - I have 25k miles on my car, will the shocks need replacing anytime soon? (Trying to psychologically justify the cost).

Is TEIN the "best? "How does Megan's LP series compare TEIN Comfort Sport?

Sorry for all the questions!
Old 12-31-09, 02:59 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by brociouz
So let me preface this by saying I'm a big car suspension newbie, so if I say anything outrageously stupid, please forgive me.

I'm looking to lower my 2006 IS350 but don't want to sacrifice that silky smooth Lexus feel. I guess the only real options are lowering springs and coilovers (air is probably too ridiculous for what I'm looking to do). Are there any big advantages of coilovers vs. lower springs other than adjustability? I've tried doing some research and a lot of people are saying coilovers are overkill unless you head to the track a lot. Thoughts? Any suggestions on specific products? Thanks!
the only obvious advantage that coilovers have compared to springs is the adjustability factor. with coilovers, you can dial in ride height and shock dampening to your desired preferences, while with springs it's pretty much zero adjustability.

unfortunately, most 2is owners here that run them have the "set it and forget it" attitude. they leave it at one particular setting, and then never touch it again. as such, it's really overkill for what they're paying for. some don't even know where/how to properly adjust ride height and/or dampening.

if you must have that perfect ride height, a specific type of ride quality, and/or adjustability (not to mention the budget), then coilovers is what you're looking for.

on a side note, those on aftermarket lowering springs w/ oem shocks have reported retaining an oem-like ride quality.

--

edit: i have megan racing LP's, and imo they're the best in their price category (sub-$1k). ride height + 32-way shock dampening adjustability.
Old 12-31-09, 03:57 PM
brociouz
Uber 1337 Moderator

Knowing that I'll probably be a "set it and forget it" guy, should I just get springs then? Do coilovers provide an inherent improvement in handling?

What aftermarket lowering springs would be best for what I'm looking for? (i.e. a stock like smoothness)
Old 12-31-09, 04:45 PM
JoshIS408
- - G T V I P - -

Received 117 Likes on 44 Posts

^

I have F-Sport Springs installed and the ride quality hasnt really changed. Its just a bit bumpier when you go over big dips.
Old 12-31-09, 05:17 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Eibach 350's work fine on the IS350, still a decent ride with substantial lowering and some improvement in handling. It's an economical solution to consider that doesn't ruin the Lexus-like ride.
Old 06-18-14, 08:05 AM
Chapin13
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Eibach 350's work fine on the IS350, still a decent ride with substantial lowering and some improvement in handling. It's an economical solution to consider that doesn't ruin the Lexus-like ride.
I'm new to this and I'm wondering what all do I need to buy besides the lowering springs to do the job right ?
Old 06-18-14, 10:09 AM
FSportIS
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like many said:
On budget, buy the lowering springs such as Eibach, F Sport or H&R and replace the stock one. Bring it to any body shop, they can do it. Just shop around. I'm very happy with Eibach and F Sport on both of my cars.

If you have more money and want to go morrwwwwww lowwww, buy a coilover.