Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official Lexus SC Coilover Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-11, 05:22 PM
BigDave121
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MrYoshi
HKS HYPERMAX III $1500, best coilovers ever!!!!
Not for the cars in this section. AFAIK, the SC300 has no Hipermax3 that will fit it. Only the Hipermax 2's.

I was thinking of something fluffier like the HKS RS. I dont think this is as stiff riding. dont know.
I want a VERY compliant ride. Megan Street LP's were my first choice. but they are out for the next 2 months or so. so they are out of the picture. No i dont believe them when they say 2 weeks. In Japanese, 2 weeks MEANS 2 MONTHS!!! It always has and always will.

If its not in stock in the US, it does not exist for me. I have chased to many mystery containers for too long. I am over that nonsense. Two weeks, my ***!
Old 04-09-11, 04:00 PM
SickSC3
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDave121
Not for the cars in this section. AFAIK, the SC300 has no Hipermax3 that will fit it. Only the Hipermax 2's.
uumm.. im running hypermax III right now
Old 04-09-11, 05:46 PM
drastic95
Driver

I seen the Tein Green basic setup for 7 and change on E-bay. I have a 95 SC and plan on replacing my 19s with 18s. Is this a good setup?
Old 04-09-11, 07:31 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

i've heard the basic isnt any good. i personally have tein ss and there pretty good.
Old 04-09-11, 09:48 PM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

On PBM's, pretty stiff, can slam and are well priced.

Would buy again.
Old 04-09-11, 11:36 PM
SC_coupe
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

PBM's seem to be a great value for money for those wanting a stiff setup.

Originally Posted by MarcusMIA
State which ones you bought and your general review on the set and if you would buy them again.

Also give an overview on how stiff or soft they are overall.
Coilover: HKS Hipermax D' for JZZ30
Price: N/A (Discontinued)
Spring Rate: F -20kg/mm R -16kg/mm

Review:
The Hipermax D' coilovers are 30-way adjustable and are some of the stiffest coilovers available for our cars. These really make the chassis feel much more nimble and connected. Responses are instant and ride is tolerable considering the spring rates. The ride is very firm, but never bouncy. Shock and spring feel very well-matched. Intended for track (drift) use and definitely not for everyone.

Have not had the opportunity to test these on a track as of yet.

Would buy again: N/A since they're discontinued, but these really left me impressed enough to make HKS one of my first choices when it comes time to replace them.

Coilover: H&R Street Performance for JZA80
Price: Can be found for less than $900 - MSRP is $1150.
Spring Rate: F - 9.2kg/mm R - 5.1 (515/285lbs/in)

Review: Think of these as a complete Gixxer_Drew-type setup in a box. The kit comes with H&R-branded Bilstein shocks (non-adjustable), H&R springs, and have an threaded collar for height adjustment. They re-use factory top hats and dust boots. Manufactured in Germany to TUV standards.These are a great option for someone looking to maintain compliance while lowering, or for daily use. They handle quite well on the street, although they would be too soft for regular track use.

Would buy again: Yes - if same pricing promotions applied.

Last edited by SC_coupe; 08-14-14 at 05:32 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 11:33 AM
soardrft
Lead Lap

JIC all the way. I have had them since 2002 (used) and they are by far the best coilover for my driving style (lead foot/drift guy).

I have had the pleasure of riding/driving in other SC's with other coilover setups (HKS, Megan, Tein)and I cannot get over how well the old FLTA-2's match up to new products. I recently upgraded the shock on them and will post my new review since they state they are actually upgraded the shock to the FLT-TAR. Glad they can offer the upgrade for a great price and the turn around was great.
Old 04-11-11, 04:58 PM
DoriSaru15
Lead Lap

running DG-5. kinda expensive but i got a good deal on them. 30 way adjustable, increased compression cylinders, reinforced support bracket, and swift springs (front 14k-18k and rear 10k-12k w/ helper springs)

Its pretty stiff but not bad for daily. I would definitely buy again for my SC and would also try it out on my 240.

Last edited by DoriSaru15; 04-11-11 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-11-11, 10:32 PM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm running BC Racing BR Type coils, and they're pretty good bang for the buck. They look to be well made, and are fully adjustable. My only concern is they still don't seem to be stiff enough, i seem to bottom out more than i'd like. But the ride is very smooth. I'd highly reccomend them, and the under $1,000 price tag is very nice.
Old 04-12-11, 03:21 AM
MGa
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pieisgude
I'm running BC Racing BR Type coils, and they're pretty good bang for the buck. They look to be well made, and are fully adjustable. My only concern is they still don't seem to be stiff enough, i seem to bottom out more than i'd like. But the ride is very smooth. I'd highly reccomend them, and the under $1,000 price tag is very nice.
What spring rates do you have?
Do you have the stock setup recommended for SC 14/8 kg/mm or the Supra spring rates 14/10 kg/mm ?
I read somewhere that you could choose different spring rates for no extra charge when ordering these coils but now I can't find where i read it.
Maybe I was just dreaming..

I was thinking of ordering the BC's and can't decide should i take the Supra setup or the SC only difference should be the little bit stiffer rear springs.
Old 04-12-11, 08:02 AM
vietunit
Lexus Champion

^ BC's will still be soft regardless.
Old 04-12-11, 08:08 AM
Domo
Driver School Candidate

ive had my pbm's on for 2 weeks and they are exactly what i wanted. (very stiff on the stiffest setting, but comfortable on the lowest setting without being bouncy). the quality, price, ride, ability to slam and $100 replacement damper you cant beat them in my opinion.

Last edited by Domo; 04-12-11 at 08:14 AM.
Old 04-12-11, 09:15 AM
pieisgude
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, the BCs are pretty soft. I'm running the Supra setup i believe. 14/10. There is a Supra sticker on the coils. I forgot to look at the springs.

It's weird how the part numbers for the Supra and SC setup are exactly the same, C-15, except they both have different spring rates, 14/10 and 12/8.

If you put the BCs on full hard, they're quite bouncy. But at full soft, the ride is near stock, very smooth.
Old 04-12-11, 11:30 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We can do custom spring rates on the BCR coilovers if you guys are interested, it just depends on what you want and how stiff you want to go.
Old 04-16-11, 10:02 AM
2slowsc300
Driver

The bcr's I was gonna pick offer custom spring rates before order but need opinions on what spring rate to get dd car prob never see a track. Want a good medium last car hit head on roof on interstate lol

Quick Reply: Official Lexus SC Coilover Thread