Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brake Fluid Mystery

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 04:12 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Fluid Mystery

Hello guys, I have noticed that my break fluid seem to be between the min and max level, eventhough, I fillled it up to the max line. I inpected all the break lines and I could not find any leakage. I even changed the new break resevor cap and it still dropped between the two lines. Last night, I saw the drip on the garage floor and I jack the car up and traced back the leakage, but I could not determine where it leaked from. Can you guys shed some light as to what I should do next beside bring it in to the stealership? Any suggestions or comments are welcome. Oh, just want to add that the brake fluid did not fall below the min line. It always stay between the max and min line eventhough I added, and the next few days it dropped back to between those lines again. I am kind of afraid of driving it in this condition, especially for the braking system might be falling on me while driving.Thanks you guys.
Old 11-23-09, 07:24 AM
Infamous 1
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Check the brake master cylinder.
Old 11-23-09, 01:03 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Infamous 1
Check the brake master cylinder.
Infamous 1, I checked the brak master cyliner, but couldn't tell whether the fluid was dripping from it or not. I will try to jack the car up and try again. Thank you.
Old 11-23-09, 02:50 PM
FrankT
Instructor

Received 49 Likes on 42 Posts

You may have inadvertently overfilled it.
Check and see if brake fluid has leaked out of the cap, the top reservoir may be wet. It leaks toward to firewall.

Hope this helps...
Old 11-23-09, 07:16 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by FrankT
You may have inadvertently overfilled it.
Check and see if brake fluid has leaked out of the cap, the top reservoir may be wet. It leaks toward to firewall.

Hope this helps...
FrankT, I replaced with the new cap. Also, I noticed that when I filled the fluid level to max line, the cap tends to wet as well as on the top of the resevor. I just check again today and the level is in between the min and max line and there is no leak on the garage floor. I tried to putit to the max line, but evertime I do that, it will leak through something. If I keep the fluid between the line, then there is no leak at all. What's going on here? Does the GS400 brake fluid not suppose to be filled all the way up to max? Any ideal? Thank again, FrankT for looking out.
Old 11-23-09, 08:07 PM
5t341th
Lexus Champion

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

park the car and dont move it. it should be leaking where you left it.
was it at the wheels or in the engine bay?
if engine bay, clean the area very well.
next time it leaks, u can see.
also, brake fluid eats paint so if u see paint missing...
Old 11-23-09, 08:11 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

Someone once mentioned it leaking into the booster, however if you see signs of it on the floor, then it wouldnt be that.
Old 11-24-09, 03:46 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Someone once mentioned it leaking into the booster, however if you see signs of it on the floor, then it wouldnt be that.
Yes, I saw the fluid on the floor like a few days ago after I filled the resevor to max line. Now it is only in between the min and max line, and there is no more sign of any brake fluid on the floor since yesterday. Any other thought? Thanksl
Old 11-24-09, 03:57 AM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by 5t341th
park the car and dont move it. it should be leaking where you left it.
was it at the wheels or in the engine bay?
if engine bay, clean the area very well.
next time it leaks, u can see.
also, brake fluid eats paint so if u see paint missing...
I inspected all four wheels from the brake lines and there were no leak through those lines nor where the line screw into the brake calipers. I suspected that it leaked somewhere around the brake booster or the master cylinder, b/c I saw the fluid ran down and wet the metal tube where the tranny dip-stick was. However, I couldn't find the leakage location as where it leak from. If the fluid is between the min and max line, there is no sign of brake fluid leakage on the floor as the car park at a level ground. Also, the brake fluid wouldm't drain anymore, it's just kept in the middle of the line (min&max). Any other thought? Thanks.
Old 11-24-09, 06:36 AM
lex786
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i am having a same problem mechanic said i need to changed the whole unit keep us updated
Old 11-24-09, 12:47 PM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

ok dumb question How are your brakes? are they close to be changed? Obviously as the pads go down so does the fluid (just throwing it out there )
Old 11-24-09, 01:23 PM
quickex99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just had the same thing happen to me.. The actual way you check the fluid (mechanic at work told me) is you have the motor off and on a level surface.. pump the brake pedal like 30-35 times.. Then get out and check the level.. Mine appeared low and I just kept adding.. then one day it was leaking.. Its just an overflow when it gets to high. to get the excess fluid out I just stuck paper towels in there to sop it up.. but make sure not to get any fluid on the paint.
Old 11-29-09, 01:26 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
ok dumb question How are your brakes? are they close to be changed? Obviously as the pads go down so does the fluid (just throwing it out there )
I just changed my brake pads both front and rear including a new rotors and calipers as well. I have this issue long before the new set of brake kits was repalce. The braking system seem to be functioning well, but I will have the stealership inspect it on Monday. I hope I don't have to replace the hold unit. It is costly. As for now, I didn't refill my brake fluid anymore, I kept it between the line. No sing of leakage anymore.
Old 11-29-09, 01:31 PM
ivnnln
Pole Position

Originally Posted by quickex99
I just had the same thing happen to me.. The actual way you check the fluid (mechanic at work told me) is you have the motor off and on a level surface.. pump the brake pedal like 30-35 times.. Then get out and check the level.. Mine appeared low and I just kept adding.. then one day it was leaking.. Its just an overflow when it gets to high. to get the excess fluid out I just stuck paper towels in there to sop it up.. but make sure not to get any fluid on the paint.
I will do that today like you said, if it's still leaking. I hope mine is just the overflow issue and not anything major. Will post an update from the stealership after an inspection from them.
Old 01-03-10, 08:14 PM
nar8ta
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ivnnln
I will do that today like you said, if it's still leaking. I hope mine is just the overflow issue and not anything major. Will post an update from the stealership after an inspection from them.
Any update from the stealership yet ivnnln? i've been noticing the same thing.

Quick Reply: Brake Fluid Mystery