Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Sure, why not? Air build.

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-09, 08:47 PM
rgarjr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice bags..
Old 11-27-09, 05:18 PM
Hennesssy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by c4lvin
Haha, yup. I'm on Vortex. I posted this in the Air Suspension forums there.
Sweet, I'm sure you know my friend Andy that drives a GTI on BBS LM's. He worked on my UAS and several other 2gs's. If you need any help, he's the guy to talk to. Any progress and updates on your build?
Old 11-29-09, 01:16 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Hennesssy
Sweet, I'm sure you know my friend Andy that drives a GTI on BBS LM's. He worked on my UAS and several other 2gs's. If you need any help, he's the guy to talk to. Any progress and updates on your build?
Yeah, I know Andy. His OEM HID's from his GTI are now on my car and my 20th/337 front valence is on his car Real helpful guy! I've talked to him about a few things already for the set up.

No progress. Most of what's here was done a while ago from when I wanted to do my GTI. I may be building the trunk set up here soon, but that'll be about it for "major" updates until the GTI is paid off and I can relax a bit with the budget
Old 12-03-09, 07:24 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Nice pics.

Looks like your gonna be posting a lot of pics and be detailed in your build. If so, you got my attention.

Can't wait to see the progress.
Old 12-04-09, 04:14 AM
Laydout430
Driver

good luck with the build-may i ask why your going with 1/4" lines? I would use a minimum of 3/8, but thats just me. Depending on what size os tires you go with, you'll have to roll the fenders. I lay frame on 20's and had to roll mine.

good luck with build and look forward to seeing the progress
Old 12-04-09, 05:03 AM
Hennesssy
Driver

Yeah, I know Andy. His OEM HID's from his GTI are now on my car and my 20th/337 front valence is on his car Real helpful guy! I've talked to him about a few things already for the set up.

No progress. Most of what's here was done a while ago from when I wanted to do my GTI. I may be building the trunk set up here soon, but that'll be about it for "major" updates until the GTI is paid off and I can relax a bit with the budget
Ah! So your the guy that bought his headlights, those are bright as hell.

Here's a picture of my car on 19's UAS and some ideas what you can do. I can go a little lower, but my fenders weren't shaved and rolled at that time.
Attached Thumbnails Sure, why not? Air build.-img_1732.jpg  
Old 12-05-09, 07:50 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dRo15
Nice pics.

Looks like your gonna be posting a lot of pics and be detailed in your build. If so, you got my attention.

Can't wait to see the progress.
Thanks. Your car is honestly one of my favorites. It's given me so much inspiration!

Yes, I will be very detailed in the build/pics/progress. I want this to be an informative thread for other people as well as showing what needs/can be done for personal use.

Originally Posted by Laydout430
good luck with the build-may i ask why your going with 1/4" lines? I would use a minimum of 3/8, but thats just me. Depending on what size os tires you go with, you'll have to roll the fenders. I lay frame on 20's and had to roll mine.

good luck with build and look forward to seeing the progress
I really dislike fast fills and dumps. Being around air-ride these last few years and being exposed to it all, I know exactly what I want my set up to be like (aside from the platform to platform details). A buddy of mine has a Passat Wagon on air with 1/4" lines and the speed is perfect. Most of the people I've helped with are running 3/8's on a GTI/Jetta MK4 platform and that's still way too fast.

The fenders will be rolled front and shaved and rolled rear. I'm 90% sure on 19x9.5/10.5 +23 all the way around with 225/35 and 235/35, but I won't know for sure until the suspension is on and I gotta do all my math for the fitment I want. It's not going to sit as aggressive as my GTI is, but I'm aiming for wide, low and tucking all at the same time, so I think that fitment should be close to what I want.

I got to figure out camber specs and whatnot. I will probably be aiming for -2ish front and -3ish rear on ride height (which is going to be almost laid out :P ) I spent a ton of time tweaking my stance on the GTI and this will be no different. I may have to look into cutting/notching the bay for the control arms, but that's depending on how low I roll/want to roll I suppose.

Originally Posted by Hennesssy
Ah! So your the guy that bought his headlights, those are bright as hell.

Here's a picture of my car on 19's UAS and some ideas what you can do. I can go a little lower, but my fenders weren't shaved and rolled at that time.
Yeah, that's me.

Looks good man. Stock struts? I'm aiming for the front fenders to be right at the wheel lip

Last edited by c4lvin; 12-05-09 at 07:56 AM.
Old 12-05-09, 09:43 AM
Emil
Pole Position

forgive my noob-ness,with air do you use the suspension etc still? i have no knowledge at all on the topic of hydrulics/air set-ups...

i'd love to air one of my cars,but i couldn't handle a dodgy ride
Old 12-05-09, 09:55 AM
Chancellor
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looking good cant wait to see if finished
Old 12-05-09, 12:28 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Chancellor
looking good cant wait to see if finished
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Emil
forgive my noob-ness,with air do you use the suspension etc still? i have no knowledge at all on the topic of hydrulics/air set-ups...

i'd love to air one of my cars,but i couldn't handle a dodgy ride
Yeah, with air, the air bag is just a replacement for the spring itself. Each PSI in the bag translates into a lb/in rating like springs do, but the details and calculations I do not know.

You still use shocks/struts and an airbag.
Old 12-05-09, 12:58 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

Looks good man. Stock struts? I'm aiming for the front fenders to be right at the wheel lip
gunna be kinda hard to drive like that unless you cut that area where the UCA hits. cuz when the lip hits the fender area ur perdy much bottomed out.

example: my front is completely aired out.

so yea if u plan on driving it that low.. which was my future plan as well LOL cut the engine bay area enough so u can get more suspension play.
Old 12-05-09, 01:10 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vwynn
gunna be kinda hard to drive like that unless you cut that area where the UCA hits. cuz when the lip hits the fender area ur perdy much bottomed out.

example: my front is completely aired out.

so yea if u plan on driving it that low.. which was my future plan as well LOL cut the engine bay area enough so u can get more suspension play.
I may have to look into cutting/notching the bay for the control arms, but that's depending on how low I roll/want to roll I suppose.
I got you covered.
Old 12-07-09, 02:54 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Non-suspension related update...

I decided to unbolt my mufflers today. It's still too quiet so I went up to a local exhaust shop and $120 later, I have dual 2.5" straight pipe cat back. It's very loud and a bit raspy at WOT, but I like it. I may add in some Magnaflow mufflers later when I have money to quiet it down at WOT. It sounds pretty damn deep and throathy.
Old 12-07-09, 03:13 PM
dRo15
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by vwynn
You mean like this right.

Old 12-07-09, 03:26 PM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Did you do that with a hole-saw? The cut looks really clean.

Quick Reply: Sure, why not? Air build.