Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BAD SHOP INFO or JUST A HUSTLE?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-09, 08:51 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BAD SHOP INFO or JUST A HUSTLE?

I went to a local Mod shop a few hours ago, (the only one we have out here in the desert) and inquired on a few different things that i want to do to my 99' GS300. *BTW I bought it under 2 weeks ago and already need to upgrade it even though it's in prestine condition . Anyways i was asking the owner about lowering the car about 2-3inches so my 18" staggerd rims I have on my other car (95'300ZX) would fit correctly. I said i was thinking of buying a set of MEAGAN coilovers from someone I knew and he adimentely said that it was a bad idea because my car has all kind of sensors and such that would give me bad readings. I dont think my car has a ride height sensor or tire pressure sensor like he said.

We then went into his office and he brought up the OPTION website and said that the Eibach spring set up is the way to go. It only lowers your car 1.4" though. I see alot of guys are rockin coilovers on their 2GS's and i like the adjustablity coilovers provide. But is there other things that need to be bought and installed along with the coilover set up or or is it just a bolt on kinda swap? I know alignment is necessary afterwards but will I need new balljioints and control arms. I am not looking to "dump" the car I just want a good fit for my wheels and do not want to swap them until the fenders line up correctly. I have a pet peave about good wheels on a car with bad fitment. The wheel are 18"x8.5" in front 35 series and 18:9.5" rear 35 series. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

This site is awesome and dare i say WAY better than the 300ZXCLUB I used to be a member of. (sorry to bash them) TTNET sucks to0 BTW buahahaha
Old 10-16-09, 09:02 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want good fitment, you're better off with some 19's.

That guy is just bs'ing you as far as the spring setup. That's a sales pitch. When buying coils, megans specifically. You'll spend about 900 for the coils, and another few hundred to install. With springs, you need to replace the springs, and shocks, and pay the labor to do the whole thing. And, when you need to, you can't adjust the height of the car.

Balljoints and control arms depend on when they were last done and the condition of them now. It's actually recommended to run the stock rubber bushings on lowered cars if at all possible because poly tend to break when stressed.

Even though you're not looking to dump the car, to get 18's to look proper on teh GS will require at MINIMUM, a 2" drop. I would say more in the range of 3-3.5". This cannot be done with springs. The lowest springs you will find are the tanabe DF210's or Espelirs, both of which run -2.2" in the front, and -1.8" in the rear. Even if you did dump the car, your 18's would look lost in the rear. You will probably need a 25mm spacer to flush them out in the rear, and only 5 or 10mm in the front. I can tell you more accurately if you can give me your offsets.

springs < coils < air (depending on goals).

Just don't cheap out. The better the parts, the better they work.
Old 10-16-09, 09:19 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

I believe the offset is +35 but i could be wrong. They are RUFF RACING R280s. And that guy was saying he didn't like Tanabe or Tein springs either. I was surprised by that. He must get a kick down from EIBACH or something j/k.

He came over to where my 300ZX is parked and said he woud trade me work and parts for my car. I need to get rid of it anyways because it's not where i live and my family member wants her driveway back.

Is $740 shipped for a set of MEAGAN coilovers with 7000 miles on them a good deal? sounds good to me.
Old 10-17-09, 06:59 AM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 661-Native
I believe the offset is +35 but i could be wrong. They are RUFF RACING R280s. And that guy was saying he didn't like Tanabe or Tein springs either. I was surprised by that. He must get a kick down from EIBACH or something j/k.

He came over to where my 300ZX is parked and said he woud trade me work and parts for my car. I need to get rid of it anyways because it's not where i live and my family member wants her driveway back.

Is $740 shipped for a set of MEAGAN coilovers with 7000 miles on them a good deal? sounds good to me.

don't let him short change you on that zx though. Make sure you get in writing that he'll exchange the blue book value of the car for that amount in parts/labor.

740 is a very good deal so long as they come complete. New or used? If new, buy them now.
Old 10-17-09, 07:20 AM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

arent megans 850 shipped new from Nigel?
Old 10-19-09, 11:22 AM
lo_dit
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

one of the vendors quoted me $820, can't remember which one. go to the vendor classifieds and PM whoever sells megans. cant beat that price for brand new.
Old 10-19-09, 02:51 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

So correct me if I'm wrong but throwing on a set of MEAGANS is the best route and I do not need any other parts as long as my balljoints and control arms are good? What about a camber kit? I don't wanna run through tires do to crazy angles. I said earlier that i wanted a subtle drop, about 2-2.5" but i know that if i DO get coilovers i will most likely slamm the ***** out of it just for fun then find a ride height that more "usable". Thanks you guys for all your input much appreciated.

Driving stock is killing me plus the car handles like a boat. My 300Z was a slot car.Any suggestions on good sway bars too?
Old 10-20-09, 05:49 AM
esolo98
Advanced

I have megans on my GS and I need some sort of camber kit. I am looking to go with the Exact RCAs. If you search you can find what they are and how they work.
And for $740 (if that is a used price) I would just pay the extra $100 or so and buy them new, cause you dont get any kind of warranty for used.
Old 10-20-09, 05:57 AM
IXI187IXI
Lexus Fanatic

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

you can throw on coils with no problems. dont let him try to talk you into doing something different. i dont know about the 2GS but i know my 3GS has a ride height sensor. well its more of an adjusting rod then sensor but i had no problems installing my coils.
Old 10-20-09, 09:18 PM
7DOOBIE7
Pole Position

EFF'it!!! I'm droppin it!! ...i know what i want and stock height sucks.. just don't wanna ruin a mid-sized luxery car... I love this girl even though i've only owned her for only a few weeks..just want to do it right thats all..got lottsa knowledge from all you guys here. May take a few paychecks but i wanna do it right... The "bug" has bitten me once again..(mod bug that is).. keep you informed as to my progress. I want it dropped,tinted and painted by end of year at the latest..We'll see (fingers crossed).