Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

ABS Alternator and Autozone Axles - Advice Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-09, 08:33 PM
jonnydclar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry ABS Alternator and Autozone Axles - Advice Anyone?

Hi,
I recently bought my wife a 99 GS300 knowing it needed some break work. I could fill 10 pages but will try to cut the fat.

The brake pedal went to the floor and the ABS / VSC / VSC OFF lights were on randomly but usually within the first 3 miles of a trip. If the lights stayed off (ABS not disabled) I would occasionally get a vibrating pedal and typical ABS noise while slowly stopping on dry pavement.

I replaced the master cylinder with a used one (I know I know its a safety part and not recommended) but the behavior was identical. Hoping it was just a problem with my bleeding I took it to a mechanic and he said I needed an alternator. "Hog wash" I thought but one alternator and battery later all of the lights were off. I took it back to them and they again tried to bleed it but the pedal would still go to the floor. I installed another master cylinder and tada a firm pedal. So anyones guess as to weather I bought a bad one or my alternator (with a bad diode) killed both of them with an alternating current?

So now for my annoying can't find it issue. I found on this forum a post about an RX having a cracked or bent axle causing this same problem with ABS kicking in when it shouldn't. In checking all of my abs speed sensors I noticed one of the back ones had metal shavings all over it. I had cleaned them off but when I checked again there were again metal shavings. Turns out the sheet metal inlay had separated from the cast metal hub that the axle goes through. This allowed the sheet metal to rub on the teeth of the axle wearing them down slightly (probably 30 % shorter than original height). I checked out the axle on the other side but the hub had been replaced and the sheet metal inlay was MIA. So I thought the answer was simple - replace the axles. I know Lexus axles list for like $1k but Autozone sells them for $99 (I know I know Autozone quality). Long story short 6 axles through autozone and 2 installs on each side I believe I have good axles in my car. (FYI these axles don't come with axle nuts, 2 out of 6 did not fit the axle nut which came off my car, 1 was assembled wrong and one had other damage) Excited to have the car off blocks for the first time in 2 weeks I drove the car and ...you guessed it.....ABS kicked in 3 times while driving slowly around my neighborhood. I've checked both front sensors (1.7 k ohms each) both rear sensors (1087 ohms). Are the front and rear supposed to be the same? I've cleaned the grease off the front ones and double checked that all teeth are there. What else can cause this?
Old 10-04-09, 07:28 AM
GS4_Fiend
Lexus Test Driver

Received 86 Likes on 69 Posts

IIRC, ABS does uses AC signal and not DC.
Old 10-05-09, 10:23 AM
jonnydclar
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK. but I'm sure it is supposed to be fed via 12 - 14 V DC and then convert it.

So I think I have it figured out. While double checking all of my sensors I noticed that both front ones were not seated properly. The bolts were tight but there was a slight gap on the opposite side of the sensor. After tapping them down the problem seems to be gone for now. ; )