Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Alot of questions...Decided to start here.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 10:08 PM
llllee4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alot of questions...Decided to start here.

Hello everyone,

I have a 98 GS400 with 160k miles.

I just have a few questions....

1. I noticed I get violent steering wheel shaking when I do a sudden brake between 50-80mph, usually on the freeway of course. So I told my mechanic about it, and he drove my car, and said that I would need to change my rotors. He said that I should be fine until the violent shaking occurs at lower speeds (30-40mph) or until the roads are wet. Now, I'm wondering A) is he right? B) do I have to change the rotors and brake pads?

He estimated the costs to be $430 for parts and labor. I'm wondering if I really need new rotors and brake pads, and if there is another route to make this less of a pain on the wallet...

2. I read a bit on the WARNING thread for 2nd Gen GS..and I had that problem too, but only on my driver's side lower ball joint. The mechanic (the one above) didn't mention of any tie? rods, or changing the other side. Should I go ahead and get the passenger side changed and the rods for both sides? That thread has definitely opened my eyes.

3. I have suddenly come down with a need for speed. I've never driven my GS over 90mph, and am simply baffled by the thought that it could actually go over 90mph. My brother took it to 130 before, my cousin took it to 140. With me, the GS simply won't go over 90...I live in Northern California and am wondering...are there any roads, preferably legally, where I can drive my baby fast?

4. How often do I need a wheel alignment? I get my tires rotated every 5k though.

After driving my sister's 06 RX330, I noticed that my car just feels...old. I want my car to last 250k, more for bragging rights than anything, but I'm wondering what I need to do to make my car last that far and long...

My sudden interest in all of this is because of a Firestone coupon I got in the mail...$100 for new brake pads, resurface rotors, inspect brake components, per axle.

Last edited by llllee4; 09-29-09 at 10:13 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 10:24 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

If your rotors are still thick enough, you can have them resurfaced for now until you're comfortable laying down a load of cash. If your pads still have a lot of life in them, no need to change them.
Old 09-30-09, 12:40 PM
PHML
Master Thread Closer!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

At 160K, I'd change out the lower ball joint and tie rods....and do what GSteg suggested.
Old 09-30-09, 03:13 PM
ChampGS3
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The shaking you are getting is highly unlikely to be entirely caused by the brake rotors. You may need a resurface and some pads but, Trust me, you most likely need to do the Daizen Caster bushing replacement.

Or at least purchase some factory lexus Caster arms from the later 01-05 GS models, they fit fine are of a better more substantial design and will be much better than your potentially 160k old caster arms.

I suggest do the caster arms first, you probably won't even need an alignment but it cant hurt, and then drive the car and get back to us.

Originally Posted by llllee4
Hello everyone,

I have a 98 GS400 with 160k miles.

I just have a few questions....

1. I noticed I get violent steering wheel shaking when I do a sudden brake between 50-80mph, usually on the freeway of course. So I told my mechanic about it, and he drove my car, and said that I would need to change my rotors. He said that I should be fine until the violent shaking occurs at lower speeds (30-40mph) or until the roads are wet. Now, I'm wondering A) is he right? B) do I have to change the rotors and brake pads?

He estimated the costs to be $430 for parts and labor. I'm wondering if I really need new rotors and brake pads, and if there is another route to make this less of a pain on the wallet...

2. I read a bit on the WARNING thread for 2nd Gen GS..and I had that problem too, but only on my driver's side lower ball joint. The mechanic (the one above) didn't mention of any tie? rods, or changing the other side. Should I go ahead and get the passenger side changed and the rods for both sides? That thread has definitely opened my eyes.

3. I have suddenly come down with a need for speed. I've never driven my GS over 90mph, and am simply baffled by the thought that it could actually go over 90mph. My brother took it to 130 before, my cousin took it to 140. With me, the GS simply won't go over 90...I live in Northern California and am wondering...are there any roads, preferably legally, where I can drive my baby fast?

4. How often do I need a wheel alignment? I get my tires rotated every 5k though.

After driving my sister's 06 RX330, I noticed that my car just feels...old. I want my car to last 250k, more for bragging rights than anything, but I'm wondering what I need to do to make my car last that far and long...

My sudden interest in all of this is because of a Firestone coupon I got in the mail...$100 for new brake pads, resurface rotors, inspect brake components, per axle.
Old 09-30-09, 07:46 PM
llllee4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How much should resurfacing cost?

How much would that bushing replacement cost if I took it to a shop? Could any of y'all give me a rough estimate, so I don't get ripped off?