Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Popping sound when raising airbags...

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-09, 06:27 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Default Popping sound when raising airbags...

Ok, I've done plenty of searching and found a lot of good info, however didnt read anything from those with air bags... Now I'm sure what I found are the answers, but would like to get some info from those with air... Basically I get a pop when I raise the car (pretty easy to say I guess ) so far I've gathered that it may be tie rods up front and rear sway links and possibly bushing issues. What more or what different may it be? I dont want to put money where its not needed cause with all these damn furlough garbage going around... strapped for cash anyways, who had this problem with their air and what DID solve the problem? I just replaced one inner tie rod and I believe I'm still getting the problem on that side (will check in a bit) while down there I checked the ball joints and they seem to be just fine (but will be the next to change once this issue is solved) also will be replacing bearing.

thanks for any help guys.
Old 07-23-09, 06:33 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

ACTUALLY I just remembered I have a crappy video that you can hear the sound on:

Front Pop
Old 07-23-09, 07:44 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What size lines? I've been around air-ride for a bit and it may be the strut just de-compressing a bit too fast. I've seen and heard this happen many times in person on my friends' cars. It hasn't caused a problem for them before, though.
Old 07-23-09, 07:52 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

3/8" but thats too much of a sound for it to "might" be the problem
Old 07-23-09, 07:54 AM
c4lvin
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
3/8th inch
Might be the things you mentioned (bushings, tie rod ends, etc), but what I suspect is the strut is just lifting and maxing out the internal valving really fast. 3/8ths is pretty fast. It could also be the bag expanding fast from the fill and hitting the top mounts.

I have noticed smaller lines and/or flow controls to lift/dump it slower minimizes weird noises like that.

Honestly, I have heard the same exact sound a million times with all my friends' air ride. They just slow it down and it doesn't "jump" or make pops like that anymore.
Old 07-28-09, 01:47 PM
andrew m.
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when a car is equipped with air ride, it puts excessive wear and tear on suspension components such as strut bushings, tie rods, motor mounts, etc. also, when the car is completely aired out, many of the suspension components are at very extreme angles - hence the excessive wear of these components. from your video it sounds like a bushing or a ball joint. my lower control arm bushings made an awful popping noise due to the extreme angles and stress air ride imposes upon the suspension. however, it could also be your bag maxing out or "popping" up to full pressure. what kit/bags are you running? also, your car really jumps up - you may want to consider flow controls or mufflers.
Old 07-28-09, 01:48 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

does it still increase wear when you just dump it while parking? or is it when the car is in motion?
Old 07-28-09, 01:58 PM
andrew m.
Driver School Candidate

air suspension is a commitment. in general, air suspension puts more wear on suspension components but so does a set of coilovers. the increased wear comes more from extended periods of time at extreme angles (when the car is dumped). if you consistently play with your bags then you will definitely notice parts wearing out faster. the constant up and down motion isn't the best for the suspension components. however, lowering the car while in motion isn't very harmful and nor is dumping it while parked. however, if you plan on leaving your car dumped overnight - you should leave some air in the bags so they don't roll over the bottom plate/collar. i say its a commitment because you will notice things wearing faster and this can add up quickly. however, the ability to drive the car low and have the car ride like a cadillac is worth every penny.
Old 09-17-21, 12:59 AM
KOREYSALES
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
Ok, I've done plenty of searching and found a lot of good info, however didnt read anything from those with air bags... Now I'm sure what I found are the answers, but would like to get some info from those with air... Basically I get a pop when I raise the car (pretty easy to say I guess ) so far I've gathered that it may be tie rods up front and rear sway links and possibly bushing issues. What more or what different may it be? I dont want to put money where its not needed cause with all these damn furlough garbage going around... strapped for cash anyways, who had this problem with their air and what DID solve the problem? I just replaced one inner tie rod and I believe I'm still getting the problem on that side (will check in a bit) while down there I checked the ball joints and they seem to be just fine (but will be the next to change once this issue is solved) also will be replacing bearing.

thanks for any help guys.
I have had the same problem tried every thing but Simply result by just adjusting my Shock and I found a sweet spot to wear it does n't popper anymore Hopefully this helps