Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Pic Request, IS 350 F Sport Springs H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-09, 06:42 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Make sure alignment is included in installation price quoted. Best to use an experienced shop that does both anyway.
Exact doesn't do alignment and dealer won't include alignment with $500 labor. I might consider Sonic.
Old 07-26-09, 10:11 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dojoman
Exact doesn't do alignment and dealer won't include alignment with $500 labor. I might consider Sonic.
I haven't been to Exact latest shop (having been to their previous 2 shops), didn't know they didn't have alignment equipment, but I probably should have guessed that.

I prefer California Wheels in San Jose, they have the expensive equipment and tire/wheel experience.
Old 07-27-09, 08:36 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I haven't been to Exact latest shop (having been to their previous 2 shops), didn't know they didn't have alignment equipment, but I probably should have guessed that.

I prefer California Wheels in San Jose, they have the expensive equipment and tire/wheel experience.
i might check out california wheels. Did you get your alignment right away or waited until springs settled?
Old 07-27-09, 09:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

i might check out california wheels. Did you get your alignment right away or waited until springs settled?
Alignment right away. Over 2 months and 3000 miles later, no tire wear, very good handling, car tracks like a new Mercedes at speed.

PM me if you need name of person to see at Calif. Wheels.
Old 07-27-09, 01:36 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

FYI, springs don't "settle." Your bushings break down if the install is not done correctly. This is what most people refer to as spring settling, but it's actually the rubber in the bushings breaking down because your installer didn't reset the neutral position for the bushings. It will lead to premature bushing failure. Ask the SC guys about bushing failures, they know all about it.
Old 07-27-09, 01:41 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
FYI, springs don't "settle." Your bushings break down if the install is not done correctly. This is what most people refer to as spring settling, but it's actually the rubber in the bushings breaking down because your installer didn't reset the neutral position for the bushings. It will lead to premature bushing failure. Ask the SC guys about bushing failures, they know all about it.
I pulled the trigger today and ordered the H&R Springs.

How do I reset the bushing to the neutal position? It has been a long time since I installed springs and I don't want to improperly install them. Thanks.
Old 07-27-09, 01:56 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Loosen the big bolts holding the bushings, bounce the car with the new suspension on it and let it take a neutral set. Tighten all the big bolts and torque to Lexus spec. It's in the factory service manual and it is required any time you change something in the suspension.
Old 07-27-09, 04:16 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Loosen the big bolts holding the bushings, bounce the car with the new suspension on it and let it take a neutral set. Tighten all the big bolts and torque to Lexus spec. It's in the factory service manual and it is required any time you change something in the suspension.
Perfect. Thanks!
Old 08-07-09, 10:12 AM
silentbob
Driver

so was the case of OEM shocks going bad after 7k miles on H&R springs just a fluke or a real concern? Has anyone who's lowered on H&R's had them for a long time and not encountered issues with their shocks?

I was trying to decide between F-Sports and H&R's but this might make the decision for me...
Old 08-07-09, 11:25 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by silentbob
so was the case of OEM shocks going bad after 7k miles on H&R springs just a fluke or a real concern? Has anyone who's lowered on H&R's had them for a long time and not encountered issues with their shocks?

I was trying to decide between F-Sports and H&R's but this might make the decision for me...
If you're worry about shocks go with F-sport and install them at the dealer for ease of mind. I'm getting mine done as of now at the dealer, it's expensive but it covers the warranty the same as car's, if my stock shocks go out they will replace them for free with F-sport springs. H&R lowers the car a lot more so shocks will not last longer than if they were with F-sport springs for sure.
Old 08-07-09, 12:27 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

If you're worry about shocks go with F-sport and install them at the dealer for ease of mind. I'm getting mine done as of now at the dealer, it's expensive but it covers the warranty the same as car's, if my stock shocks go out they will replace them for free with F-sport springs. H&R lowers the car a lot more so shocks will not last longer than if they were with F-sport springs for sure.
Did you get a decent loaner car, I assume from Fremont Lexus?
Old 08-07-09, 01:06 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Did you get a decent loaner car, I assume from Fremont Lexus?
yep. IS250. The first time I drove the 250 and man that car is slow, esp low end torque is just weak.
Old 08-07-09, 01:48 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

yep. IS250. The first time I drove the 250 and man that car is slow, esp low end torque is just weak.
I had a IS350 lux loaner a couple of weeks ago. For me it helped gauge how much of difference the Eibach springs made. But the loaner car looked like crap with only 29K miles on it.

PM me when you get the car and I will come over to your office down the street and check the car out.
Old 08-07-09, 02:41 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

I had a IS350 lux loaner a couple of weeks ago. For me it helped gauge how much of difference the Eibach springs made. But the loaner car looked like crap with only 29K miles on it.

PM me when you get the car and I will come over to your office down the street and check the car out.
sure. i'm picking it up on my way home today. you can check it out on monday. was your loaner the white one with busted up front bumper? my loaner also looks like crap except the g-spider wheels look really good.
Old 08-07-09, 02:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

sure. i'm picking it up on my way home today. you can check it out on monday. was your loaner the white one with busted up front bumper? my loaner also looks like crap except the g-spider wheels look really good.
Yep, my loaner was the IS350 with smacked front bumper. Never seen actual G-spider wheels.

I just had the Lexus waxed today at C.Club in SC, cleaner than this pic now.
Attached Thumbnails Pic Request, IS 350 F Sport Springs H&R Springs-cl-photo-rr-dscn0002.jpg  

Quick Reply: Pic Request, IS 350 F Sport Springs H&R Springs