Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Pic Request, IS 350 F Sport Springs H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 09:28 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by lexphin
These are all the pics I have; DAMN! you guys are more demanding than the *****es I try to hook up with! LOL!!!
LOL! It looks perfect, about the same drop I'm looking for. Does your front GFX get any scrapes from parking blocks? I'm afraid mine will scratch after dropping on F-sport.
Old 07-23-09, 03:02 AM
homerjay42
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep reading about the passenger side riding heigher than the drivers side with the 350. How can I compensate for this? Spacer? Coilovers are not an options for me, I have no interest in spending over 1k.
Old 07-23-09, 07:04 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here are some facts:

I owned BOTH F-Sport & H&R Springs on my IS

H&R Springs are more even and a lower drop and IMO fantastic looking.

F-Sport Springs are uneven (front is higher then rear), and the drop is minimal. Some people didn't even think I dropped the car!

Go with H&R's if your going with springs.

Having said all that, I'm going with coilovers the first chance I get and I recommend the same thing.
Old 07-23-09, 07:25 AM
homerjay42
Rookie

I don't have anythign against coilovers; I like the technology. My only issue is the price. I want a more aggresive stance and better handing, but I really don't want to spend too much. I spent years modding sportbikes and cruisers, dumping literally thousands into them to the point where the mods cost as much as the bike. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of modding those bikes. However, I'm a little older now and trying to be more resaonable about modding. The old me would slap the new me in the face and go out and buy coilovers, 19s, GFX, tint, exhaust, sway bars, intake, etc.
Old 07-23-09, 09:44 AM
lexphin
Rookie

Originally Posted by homerjay42
I keep reading about the passenger side riding heigher than the drivers side with the 350. How can I compensate for this? Spacer? Coilovers are not an options for me, I have no interest in spending over 1k.
My passenger side is higher, but less than 3/32". I did before and after measurements, and the F-sports made a small improvement in being even on both sides. From what I`ve read on theese forums, it seems our cars are uneven, a mfg.glitch?
Old 07-23-09, 09:53 AM
lexphin
Rookie

Originally Posted by dojoman
LOL! It looks perfect, about the same drop I'm looking for. Does your front GFX get any scrapes from parking blocks? I'm afraid mine will scratch after dropping on F-sport.
I have aprox. 1/2 clearance on a "standard?" parking block. That being said I`m very careful/paranoid where I park as this is not my daily driver. I`m more concerned about scraping on steep driveways.
Old 07-23-09, 10:08 AM
mdgrwl
Lexus Champion

I don't have anythign against coilovers; I like the technology. My only issue is the price. I want a more aggresive stance and better handing, but I really don't want to spend too much. I spent years modding sportbikes and cruisers, dumping literally thousands into them to the point where the mods cost as much as the bike. Don't get me wrong, I loved every minute of modding those bikes. However, I'm a little older now and trying to be more resaonable about modding. The old me would slap the new me in the face and go out and buy coilovers, 19s, GFX, tint, exhaust, sway bars, intake, etc.
Its more pratical over the long run. One reason, blown shocks. These OE shocks are not meant to ride that low and thus, blow very soon. My wifes IS250's blew at only 7K miles!
It will be cheaper to get a set of Megan $800 or BC Racing $1K coilover then buying $200 springs, only to have to replace your $500 dollar shocks in a year.

Trust me, springs are a big mistake.... as soon as my H&R's blow (just waiting on it to happen), I'm going to coilovers.

Not to metion adjustable dampening and precise ride height.
Old 07-23-09, 10:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by dojoman
The stock OEM front spoiler will scrape on many parking blocks with standard sport suspension and certainly with F-Sport/Eibach 350 springs, based on my experience. Nosing up to parking blocks is best avoided. Steep driveway scraping is much less of a problem.
Old 07-23-09, 11:03 AM
homerjay42
Rookie

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
Its more pratical over the long run. One reason, blown shocks. These OE shocks are not meant to ride that low and thus, blow very soon. My wifes IS250's blew at only 7K miles!
It will be cheaper to get a set of Megan $800 or BC Racing $1K coilover then buying $200 springs, only to have to replace your $500 dollar shocks in a year.

Trust me, springs are a big mistake.... as soon as my H&R's blow (just waiting on it to happen), I'm going to coilovers.

Not to metion adjustable dampening and precise ride height.
Now you have me thinking. Are the coilovers hard to adjust? How long do the coilovers typically last before requiring replacement?
Old 07-23-09, 11:14 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by mdgrwl
...only to have to replace your $500 dollar shocks in a year...
$500 for all four, right? That's not too far off what they cost. $200 each from internet retailers. Still not seeing the cost effectiveness you're alluding to here. Getting adjustable shocks is really for one thing: adjustability. Not because it's more cost effective. It's not.

Those shocks dying in 7k should have been replaced under warranty. Regardless of aftermarket springs, they should not fail that quickly. Greyhound had his rear shocks fail in about the same mileage and got them replaced under warranty. The OEM shocks are Tokico, not some odd ball generic brand made in Taiwan.
Old 07-23-09, 11:18 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lobuxracer

Those shocks dying in 7k should have been replaced under warranty. Regardless of aftermarket springs, they should not fail that quickly. Greyhound had his rear shocks fail in about the same mileage and got them replaced under warranty. The OEM shocks are Tokico, not some odd ball generic brand made in Taiwan.
Exactly, defective shocks.
Old 07-23-09, 12:43 PM
homerjay42
Rookie

I feel like i was just mind ninja'ed.

I don't need adjustability. What I do need is a nice drop, firmer ride, a good price, and a product that will not blow my shocks too prematurely.

Will the H&R springs lower the car to the point where the stock shocks will fail? I was under the impression, before reading the 7K issue, that they would wear on the shocks more, but that I would likely not have an issue for a long time (basically, not much shorter than normal shock life).
Old 07-23-09, 01:16 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Do we really need adjustable shocks? I mean it's not like you can just push a button and do it like Lamborghini, you need to jack the car and be a part time grease monkey. Most of us don't have the ability to do that...
Old 07-23-09, 02:50 PM
w1ck3d64
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by lexphin
These are all the pics I have; DAMN! you guys are more demanding than the *****es I try to hook up with! LOL!!!
perfect drop..i already have my f sport springs and i'm waiting on my f sport sways before i install everything all at once
Old 07-23-09, 02:58 PM
SpecLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

A rather noob suggestion, but once your springs have been installed, shifting them from one side of the car to the other wouldn't be all that hard. So my suggestion is to rotate them just like you would your tire. After the springs have settled, can't you rotate your driver side shock/spring to the passenger side? So then your new springs on the driver side will settle just the same. Is there something wrong with my logic? Am I missing something here?

Quick Reply: Pic Request, IS 350 F Sport Springs H&R Springs