Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.
Old 12-16-14, 11:51 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lexus IS Brake Guides
Print Wikipost

IS250 rear brake replacement (GREAT DIY with lots of PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-14, 01:57 AM
DonLex123
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recall forgetting to disengage the E brake when I was installing new rotors/pads on my car and I accidentally pulled off one of the spring loaded discs behind the OEM rotor (IS250 has two If I remember correctly). God that disc was a pain in the butt to put back in. PWRSTEVE ensure one of those discs didn't fall off.
Old 08-24-14, 09:14 AM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by DonLex123
I recall forgetting to disengage the E brake when I was installing new rotors/pads on my car and I accidentally pulled off one of the spring loaded discs behind the OEM rotor (IS250 has two If I remember correctly). God that disc was a pain in the butt to put back in. PWRSTEVE ensure one of those discs didn't fall off.
Yea the disc fell off but I put it back. Anyone else kno why!?!?
Old 08-24-14, 01:57 PM
pwrusr
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could a frozen bottom caliper pin cause it from not pushing the rotor from the back making it even. This only happens when I put in new pads
Old 09-10-14, 11:55 PM
rxonmymind
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Old thread. But I appreciate the many pics as this will be my weekend project when my Akebono ceramic brakes come in. I see you snuck in a paint job too. Nice Thanks again.
Old 09-14-14, 05:13 AM
jmanng
Driver School Candidate

add one more to the frozen pin list. took a couple of hours to free up. ended up having to put heat on it, destroyed the rubber boot and will now have to source replacement. anyhow had to be done. I still have the driver side to do today - hoping it's not in the same condition.
Old 04-22-16, 05:23 PM
Russiartem
Driver School Candidate

Default Breaks

Hey I have a question, do you have us or Japan model? Because I got all 4 rotors for mine the front ones for but the rears are little bigger and it doesn't let the caliper close.
Old 04-30-16, 04:48 PM
initialh
Driver School Candidate

thanks for sharing.
Old 05-06-16, 01:20 PM
funny
Driver School Candidate

Great job. Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-05-16, 10:53 AM
hypnotized
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Saving Time with a reliable fix

Replacement maybe be a simple reliable affordable fix when things get stuck as it relates to the brakes.

I experienced a head ache with the rear brakes on my 10 year old IS. First time around I had to cut out the hardware pins with a saws all because I didn't have an adequately sized punch. new boots and fit kit were cheap at Autozone and the Lexus dealer. I noticed the glide pins were hanging up. I spent a lot of time cleaning and using the proper grease, new boots, new
hardware. This is after using the new boots from the TSB I encountered these issues.

Next brake job I was shocked to see the caliper could not glide at all. I hammered away, used a torch carefully, PB blaster for 3 days. I later find out Autozone sells the caliper with piston loaded connected to the caliper bracket with hardware. Cost was like $83.

if you have any resistance with that rear caliper a complete replacement of every component is very cheap and you may want to consider. The rear is a tough place to use a torch because you can effect the piston seal.

Old 10-07-16, 06:48 PM
Gs3500
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are the rear and outer pads interchangeable as long as the brake material is facing the rotors?
Old 05-25-17, 08:27 PM
yjy4321
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What is that non-reusable part (No. 1 rear disc brake caliper plate)? Do I need to change when I change rotors and pads? Where can I get them?

Originally Posted by lobuxracer
Torque specs and more:

Old 05-26-17, 04:57 AM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

All these talks about seized stuck pin, and pads not fitting makes me think twice about doing it at home. I hate to waste time taking everything apart only to get this stuck pin.
How would a mechanic overcome this, with a hammer?

Think is all the parts needed to do this job almost cost the same as the mechanic's labor. I might just take it to the mechanic.
Old 05-26-17, 08:46 AM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
All these talks about seized stuck pin, and pads not fitting makes me think twice about doing it at home. I hate to waste time taking everything apart only to get this stuck pin.
How would a mechanic overcome this, with a hammer?

Think is all the parts needed to do this job almost cost the same as the mechanic's labor. I might just take it to the mechanic.
It's not hard. You just take the caliper off the car and disconnect from the brake line, unbolt one caliper slide pin and then twist the two parts apart.
Old 05-26-17, 05:55 PM
ldc
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

So it took me under 2 hours. Yep it was very easy, no seized pins or complications but my old pads had plenty of life left (50%). Oh well pads are cheap anyways.
EBC Ultimate already had shim built into the back so no cleaning needed.

Note: The long clip that you insert into the slider pin holes, they need to be between the pads and the other clip. If they sit outside the other clip they may come off.

Last edited by ldc; 05-26-17 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-26-17, 06:56 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by ldc
So it took me under 2 hours. Yep it was very easy, no seized pins or complications but my old pads had plenty of life left (50%). Oh well pads are cheap anyways.
EBC Ultimate already had shim built into the back so no cleaning needed.

Note: The long clip that you insert into the slider pin holes, they need to be between the pads and the other clip. If they sit outside the other clip they may come off.
If you disconnected the caliper from the brake line, you will have to bleed the brakes

Quick Reply: IS250 rear brake replacement (GREAT DIY with lots of PICS!)