Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

My whole car is shaking after 40 mph, ive tried everything..

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-09, 05:18 PM
BarberMike
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm having a shaking problem also but only when the brake is being applied. I already resurfaced my rotors n changed the pads. Shaking occurs in the steering wheel and shifter too. Could it be the abs?
Old 07-22-09, 10:13 PM
kowala
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i'm getting the shakes too and it's annoying, i've been searching the forums constantly to see what the issue is but it seems like no one has found an exact source so please keep us updated bro.. hope you get the issue sorted out soon
Old 07-23-09, 05:50 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts

nevermind... :s
Old 07-23-09, 08:26 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

look through this guys

My car still shakes at 65-75 MPH after.....
Old 07-24-09, 01:41 PM
clevercat
Lead Lap

Cheap rims.
Old 08-03-09, 12:31 AM
ARISTOFIED
Rookie

I have this same problem on my 300, i took it to a lift and i see that my sub lower control arm bushing is bad. I spoke to a Lexus tech and he told me that being lowered causes strain on that bushing. I also noticed that my front right tire is off center, He suggested to get stiffer bushings to correct the problem, since i have no plans on going stock height, it would be no point to get stock bushings not to mention they do not sell bushings alone just the whole arm which is $121. I took a look at Daizen and they make the bushing set which includes all the bushings for the lower control arm and sub lower control arm bushings for $100. Ive done the roadforce balancing, the steering rack tightening and steering rack bushings, and even checking for bent wheels have replaced tie rods and ball joints, this is all that is left hopefully it works if not "I GIVE UP"
Old 08-04-09, 12:48 PM
BarberMike
Rookie

keep us updated man I hope it works! I wonder if this is ther same problem my first gen is having!
Old 08-05-09, 10:36 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Post Update!!!

Alright i am all the way fed up so..

ive decided to roll bone stock until the problem is resolved. the vibration is still there but nowhere near as bad as when my dubs are on. oh and btw its not a constant vibration, it increases and decreases as i ride on the freeway. its a constint pattern; 2 seconds of low vibration and 2 seconds of increased vibration..

ive purchased, received and installed the steering rack bushing kit and still nothing. next step is to eather chang out the upper control arms, which in term means new upper ball joints, and bushings in one, or just purchasing the daizon bushing kit

Originally Posted by ARISTOFIED
I have this same problem on my 300, i took it to a lift and i see that my sub lower control arm bushing is bad. I spoke to a Lexus tech and he told me that being lowered causes strain on that bushing. I also noticed that my front right tire is off center, He suggested to get stiffer bushings to correct the problem, since i have no plans on going stock height, it would be no point to get stock bushings not to mention they do not sell bushings alone just the whole arm which is $121. I took a look at Daizen and they make the bushing set which includes all the bushings for the lower control arm and sub lower control arm bushings for $100. Ive done the roadforce balancing, the steering rack tightening and steering rack bushings, and even checking for bent wheels have replaced tie rods and ball joints, this is all that is left hopefully it works if not "I GIVE UP"
thanks alot, im definetly going to take your advice. the extreme last step is roadfoce balance, since im gettin new rims next month anyway..
Old 08-07-09, 12:12 PM
eklikewhoa
Rookie

I adjusted the pretension on the rack&pinion gear and it solved the issues with my 300 which also has 20"s and dropped on H&R springs.

I barely adjusted it and it helped a great deal without tightening the steering itself too much... worked great along with a fresh wheel balance but I ended bending the front rims.
Old 08-10-09, 04:00 AM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

Default Try this....

Big Vic,

I have a 2001 GS3 totally stock and the same thing happened to me. Try this, drive the car for a bit, then park it. Next walk around the car and put your hand next to each wheel. See if one is hotter than the others. On my car I had a sticking caliper and my front passenger rotor was very hot comparied to the others. I replaced the caliper and that fix it. Hope this helps.

Jeff
Old 08-11-09, 09:00 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by eklikewhoa
I adjusted the pretension on the rack&pinion gear and it solved the issues with my 300 which also has 20"s and dropped on H&R springs.

I barely adjusted it and it helped a great deal without tightening the steering itself too much... worked great along with a fresh wheel balance but I ended bending the front rims.
how do i adjust the pretension on the rack and pinion gear?
Old 08-11-09, 09:05 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

Originally Posted by vultureskn
Big Vic,

I have a 2001 GS3 totally stock and the same thing happened to me. Try this, drive the car for a bit, then park it. Next walk around the car and put your hand next to each wheel. See if one is hotter than the others. On my car I had a sticking caliper and my front passenger rotor was very hot comparied to the others. I replaced the caliper and that fix it. Hope this helps.

Jeff
thanks, ill check that out tonight..
Old 09-09-09, 06:08 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

update: had to put everything on hold due to financial problems. i will update in 2 weeks when i purchase two front upper control arms, which is the next step
Old 05-10-10, 09:00 PM
BIGVIC23
Pole Position

alright heres a 8 month update:

What ive done since:
1. replaced lower ball joints and tie rods
2. 2 wheel alignments
3. bought brand new rims/Tires
4. brand new hubcentric rings
5. installed daizon steering bushing kit
6. new front rotors/ pads
7. new open ended lug nuts

Verdict: still have viration after 65 mph, slowed down very slightly but its still apparent and very annoying

Future to-do list:

1. Buy and install both front UCA's

Is there anything else left for me to do? as much as i love my car, i dont want to empty my bank acct on it, nor do i want to drive around feeling like im driving an 86 buick century on 4 donuts..
Old 05-11-10, 04:36 AM
vultureskn
Driver School Candidate

Vic,

Mine does the same thing. I orginally had a bad caliper, but now at 65 it vibrates and shakes the wheel. The only thing different I was going to do was to install the Daizen bushing set as well.

Let me know what you find out...

Jeff

Quick Reply: My whole car is shaking after 40 mph, ive tried everything..