Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Lowered but keeping comfort (and other questions)

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-09, 11:24 PM
minii
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lowered but keeping comfort (and other questions)

Hi guys,
I have a stock 2003 GS300 that I received a month ago. I've been sucked into the CL scene ever since.

Anyways, I have a question about springs/shocks and coilovers. Basically, I'm a daily driver. I don't care much about handling (the way it is now is fine with me). I just want the lowered look while at the same time, keeping the comfort of stock. I live in a city where the roads kinda suck, too. I pretty much want minumum fender gap with maximum comfort. (since the roads are pretty bad here, then maybe a small amount of gap?)

Again, I'm a daily driver. But yea, I'm thinking about getting strings and shocks. Is that a good idea? Any recommendations? I was considering the DF210 Tanabe springs (or the L-tuned ones from Sewell's website?). No clue about shocks, though. KYB (I think it's called?) shocks?

Also, I have some questions, and I would appreciate your help. I have no club about anything with cars. Seriously.
1) So bascially, if I get new springs/shocks, is it ok to drive stock wheels for a while until I get new ones?
2) Are the only things I need are 1. Springs 2. Shocks 3. Wheels and 4. Tires? that's all? are there any other random parts I would need to buy?
3) What does offset mean?
4) Also, how does the width of the tire make a difference? like I don't understand tire measurements really. I was thinking of getting 18 (I hear there's more comfort than 19). But I don't know how much width they should be.

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate it.
Old 06-30-09, 11:49 PM
o6spdracer
Lead Lap

Take a look at this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...-05-sc430.html
Old 07-01-09, 05:55 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Also if you search you can find quite a bit of info. Also check out this sticky, lots of info here on shocks/springs and coilovers
coilovers vs springs/shocks
IMO do coilovers, since they are adjustable
Old 07-01-09, 08:38 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by minii
Is that a good idea? Any recommendations? I was considering the DF210 Tanabe springs (or the L-tuned ones from Sewell's website?). No clue about shocks, though. KYB (I think it's called?) shocks?

Also, I have some questions, and I would appreciate your help. I have no club about anything with cars. Seriously.
1) So bascially, if I get new springs/shocks, is it ok to drive stock wheels for a while until I get new ones?
2) Are the only things I need are 1. Springs 2. Shocks 3. Wheels and 4. Tires? that's all? are there any other random parts I would need to buy?
3) What does offset mean?
4) Also, how does the width of the tire make a difference? like I don't understand tire measurements really. I was thinking of getting 18 (I hear there's more comfort than 19). But I don't know how much width they should be.
the tanabe DFs are a good quality product
go with either kyb or bilstein shocks
1. yes
2. sure
3. offset: either search CL or here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Offset_(wheel)
4. check tire rack and/or research the tire thread in CL

GL and happy researching
Old 07-02-09, 03:29 PM
vwynn
Lexus Fanatic

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

just air suspension =p

or coilovers that adjust on the shock body rather the spring..
Old 07-02-09, 04:39 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for aftermarket wheels, remember that hub centric ring