Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Indep. dealer won't install

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-09, 07:51 PM
cmc5dc
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Indep. dealer won't install

My indep. won't install OEM brake components I purchased online which is 1/2 of what he quoted me if he installs the same parts. He mentioned liability reason anybody heard of this? How could anyone prove or disprove if a problem did arise??
Old 06-16-09, 10:54 PM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well, are you under warranty?

I always bought my parts online and went to Lexus to install since my car's out of warranty anyways and I trust them more than anyone else here and with a fair rate...
Old 06-17-09, 01:26 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

I have heard of this. Different places are free to have their own policies, we don't live in communist Russia.

Go to a different shop, sounds like they have plenty of business without having to deal with you.
Old 06-17-09, 05:20 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all everyshop has their rules so they can install it if they feel like it, if they wont go to a different place, make a few phone calls and find out who WILL install your own parts.
Second of when did lexus dealer started charging a fair rate? Last but not least Russia hasnt been a comunist country since august of 1991, thats almost 18 years.
Old 06-17-09, 07:09 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I know some shops will in fact do this. Others will install outside parts but will not warranty the labor. As suggested find another shop to deal with.

Whats a "indep."?

Last edited by Debonair; 06-17-09 at 07:13 AM.
Old 06-17-09, 07:22 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Debonair
Whats a "indep."?
Independent.
Old 06-17-09, 08:58 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MDSC
Second of when did lexus dealer started charging a fair rate?
At least Lexus didn't rip me off like some other shop here by breaking ABS lines and saying they didn't touch it, tried to charge me storage fee when they couldn't find a way to fix my car, closed on holiday and I couldn't contact them for 2 weeks.

And the Lexus dealer charges just about the same as other shops here for the same job, I don't know about you, but I'd call that fair rate, knowing you might pay a bit more, but the job will be done the right way without having to worry.
Old 06-17-09, 10:59 AM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by MDSC
Last but not least Russia hasnt been a comunist country since august of 1991, thats almost 18 years.
Exactly.
If i said, "We don't live in Russia", it wouldn't make sense, so I need the "Communist" qualifier to identify the specific time period.

I guess I was going for the Russian reversal joke, but I forgot that it goes "In Soviet Russia..." not "In Communist Russia..."

http://uncyclopedia.wikia.com/wiki/R...reversal_(joke)
Old 06-20-09, 09:54 AM
cmc5dc
Driver

I'll try that next time. I know they recommended I change my tires and quoted me for the same tires that was 3x what I paid for on Tirerack

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
well, are you under warranty?

I always bought my parts online and went to Lexus to install since my car's out of warranty anyways and I trust them more than anyone else here and with a fair rate...
Old 06-20-09, 11:24 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by cmc5dc
I'll try that next time. I know they recommended I change my tires and quoted me for the same tires that was 3x what I paid for on Tirerack
I bought my tires and let them do the install and balance...., they even told me to get my own parts for repair if I want then just threw it to them for the install (Engine mounts and tranny mount) And told me what else was wrong with my car (oil sensor's leaking a tiny bit, will be done on next timing belt change, which they also told me if I can find parts cheaper, I buy it there instead of them)
Old 06-20-09, 12:46 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A
At least Lexus didn't rip me off like some other shop here by breaking ABS lines and saying they didn't touch it, tried to charge me storage fee when they couldn't find a way to fix my car, closed on holiday and I couldn't contact them for 2 weeks.

And the Lexus dealer charges just about the same as other shops here for the same job, I don't know about you, but I'd call that fair rate, knowing you might pay a bit more, but the job will be done the right way without having to worry.
You are lucky that your Lexus dealer isn't too expensive.

Around me, Lexus dealer charges about 40% more then average shop, so the % difference varies.
Around me my experience is
$140/hr rate for lexus dealership
$95 for equally high trained full service shop. (has multiple ase certified mechanics) with a front office service writer/advisor. I would use this for more complex tasks-timing belt/engine/electrical problems for example.

$70 for a less-than high end shop.
Examples: chassis specialty/1 man shop or only 1 Senior ASE mechanic/ no separate front office service advisor-you're shaking hands with the mechanic who is doing your work.
I would use this for the more regular maintenance (replace fluids/brake/suspension components etc).

Your $140/hr gets you get coffee/donuts, loaner car, and a carwash. But really, I'd rather just buy those bonuses myself with the money I save.

Back to the original topic, many places are OK with customer provided parts as they're open for more business. (Often they will give disclaimer that no help/warranty if the part is defective).

For the are shops that have different policies. I take this to mean they have enough customers already and don't need my business.

Last edited by raytseng; 06-20-09 at 12:53 PM.
Old 06-20-09, 01:09 PM
herbvdh
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by cmc5dc
When I needed new tires I got a price from the dealer for the OEM tires with mounting, balancing and alignment. Next I priced tirerack added in shipping got a price from a local shop to do mounting, balancing and alignment. When I figured it all out it was about $50 more at the dealer at the next service I requested them to change all four tires. The dealer then gave me a AAA discount of 10% not available otherwise. Found out who supplies the dealer with tires it was tirerack.
Old 06-24-09, 05:51 AM
MDSC
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by raytseng
You are lucky that your Lexus dealer isn't too expensive.

Around me, Lexus dealer charges about 40% more then average shop, so the % difference varies.
Around me my experience is
$140/hr rate for lexus dealership
$95 for equally high trained full service shop. (has multiple ase certified mechanics) with a front office service writer/advisor. I would use this for more complex tasks-timing belt/engine/electrical problems for example.

$70 for a less-than high end shop.
Examples: chassis specialty/1 man shop or only 1 Senior ASE mechanic/ no separate front office service advisor-you're shaking hands with the mechanic who is doing your work.
I would use this for the more regular maintenance (replace fluids/brake/suspension components etc).

Your $140/hr gets you get coffee/donuts, loaner car, and a carwash. But really, I'd rather just buy those bonuses myself with the money I save.

Back to the original topic, many places are OK with customer provided parts as they're open for more business. (Often they will give disclaimer that no help/warranty if the part is defective).

For the are shops that have different policies. I take this to mean they have enough customers already and don't need my business.
Exactly why pay 50 more per hour to a guy that was hired off the street by a lexus dealer from a place that you probably wont go to because its not high end. But mechanics are all the same at the dealers too, plenty of dummys working everywhere in every industry, dont think if you take you car to lexus it wont get messed up. It has happen before and happening right now across the country.