Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

The suspension saga continues with bars, bushings, etc...

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 07:21 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation The suspension saga continues with bars, bushings, etc...

I posted in the Daizen steering rack bushing thread (sticky) that Sewell informed me that they no longer carry the steering rack bushing kit, meanwhile, I had previously ordered the Daizen sways from them and was waiting for all of my "goodies" to get here.

Well this morning I checked my credit card and noticed that they had not refunded the money for the bushings, but did refund the money for the bars. So at this point I'm thinking...

So I called Sewell to get the story straight on why the bars were refunded but not the bushings, and here is the deal:

Sewell still carries the Daizen Steering Rack Bushing Kit but NO LONGER CARRIES THE DAIZEN SWAY BARS.

Anyone who has been following my posts here over the last few months knows that I have been going back and forth between the Daizen bars and the TRD bars. Both seem to have their strong and low points but I thought I was getting the Daizens because of ride quality.

As it happens now, I have reordered the TRD Blue Sway Bars from Sewell and they should arrive this week. I could have tried to order the Daizen bars from somewhere else but I figured TM would probably charge me as much as the bars themselves to ship them, and I have always had such great customer service from Sewell that I wanted to stick with them. I guess I ended up with the TRD bars after all...so we can see how this goes. Och and I can swap stories on Daizen vs. TRD

Perhaps the worst part of this is that I paid TM $50 dollars for my bushings when I would have much rather paid Sewell $40 for them, had them by now, and could have installed them this weekend
Old 05-26-09, 09:34 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

keep us posted on how that goes......
Old 05-26-09, 12:32 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

yeah keep us posted micheal and thanks
Old 05-27-09, 06:01 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

[Rant]

I received my bushings this morning in a USPS envelope- the thin, cardboard kind for letters. I really hate to sound cheap but I don't want to spend money on senseless or useless things, and I fail to see how shipping that took a week in a $0.25 envelope cost me $11. I am tempted to call TM and seek an answer for this. My company uses the same type of envelopes and can ship things NEXT DAY for $13.

Yesterday I ordered my sways from Sewell and shipping for them was $12.20 and they will arrive on Friday. FOR TWO SWAY BARS!

Did I miss something?

[/RANT]
Old 05-27-09, 06:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Sewell probably has a deal with Fedex where they ship a lot and get major discounts. TM is charging shipping and handling, where the shipping might cost them $5 but they have to go to the post office to ship it, so they charge extra for handling.
Old 05-27-09, 07:18 AM
GS300ToM
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sewell probably has a deal with Fedex where they ship a lot and get major discounts. TM is charging shipping and handling, where the shipping might cost them $5 but they have to go to the post office to ship it, so they charge extra for handling.
you read my mind... last time i ordered all my parts from partslocator it only cost 8 bucks wth??? thats dirt cheap, with all the parts weighing nearly 30lbs controls arms aint light haha anyways TM is a ripe off and end of story... i doubt u gonna get any asnwers outta them guys but yeah let us kno how that goes
Old 05-27-09, 12:04 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Are Daizen parts made by TM?
Old 05-27-09, 12:07 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Och
Are Daizen parts made by TM?
No, but TM is a Daizen distributor.
Old 05-28-09, 11:55 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

UPDATE:

I called the mechanic that I typically use for all of my aftermarket installations to get a quote on the sway bars and Daizen bushings. He came up with $450 to install both, and that includes a "10% referral discount".

Does this sound a bit too expensive to anyone else? If the bushings take 45 mins - 1hr and the bars take 2 or 2.5 hours, that should be a total of 3.5 hours of work at most. My local Lexus dealer charges $110 an hour labor rate and I get a discount off that because I am a former employee. I know that labor hours are billed differently, but does $450 from an independent mechanic seem like the stiff to install bars and bushings?

Thanks
Old 05-28-09, 12:31 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
UPDATE:

I called the mechanic that I typically use for all of my aftermarket installations to get a quote on the sway bars and Daizen bushings. He came up with $450 to install both, and that includes a "10% referral discount".

Does this sound a bit too expensive to anyone else? If the bushings take 45 mins - 1hr and the bars take 2 or 2.5 hours, that should be a total of 3.5 hours of work at most. My local Lexus dealer charges $110 an hour labor rate and I get a discount off that because I am a former employee. I know that labor hours are billed differently, but does $450 from an independent mechanic seem like the stiff to install bars and bushings?

Thanks
Way too much. With a lift and proper tools the whole job should take less than two hours.
Old 05-28-09, 12:57 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Realistically, sway bars should take an hour at most. It's not exactly hard or time consuming. The steering rack bushings will take 1-1.5 hrs depending on how stubborn the OEM bushings are.
Old 05-28-09, 01:40 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the replies, gentlemen.

When he gave me that number for the install, I figured something was really, really wrong. I appreciate both of your input.

I think I am going to try to get my brother to help me do the bushings myself this weekend. He has a lot of the necessary tools and GFerg, your writeup is very thorough and concise.

I appreciate the help!
Old 05-28-09, 02:21 PM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, you don't need elaborate instruction on the sway bar.

Take off bottom cover (unscrew)
Take off side cover (two screws per side)
unbolt and note how the bushing is housed compare to new one.
install in reverse order (take note that that bar is not reversed; compare it to you daizen or trd).

might need a little help holding the sway bar.
Old 05-28-09, 02:24 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301

He has a lot of the necessary tools and GFerg, your writeup is very thorough and concise.

GSteg is not GFerg
Old 05-28-09, 02:45 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GSteg
GSteg is not GFerg
Whoops! I am sorry man!

Quick Reply: The suspension saga continues with bars, bushings, etc...