Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC racing, Tein CS, Megan, or Tanabe coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-09, 06:35 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

^ Yea right!! No thats in a different league,lol, and it's name is Ohlins. Starting price = 8k

BTW, I see your into carting, thinking of getting the kids and my self into it. If you don't mind PM me some good links to places I can get started in the sport. please sir.
Old 05-27-09, 07:33 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey guys, megan racing is only $200 dollars cheaper than the BCR.

if you can't afford it, or simply don't wanna pay more, then just stick with Megan.

It's that simple.

a couple of us told you the differences and if you can't see it for yourself, why do we have to make a decision for you?

it's your decision after all.

don't have us telling you all these facts and this and that and then have you buying something and then having buyers remorse.

do some more research, ask ppl who have these, and then form your own opinion depending on your needs. what do you want these for? why are you getting them?

if a certain set of coilovers suits your needs, then purchase it.

I'm getting the BCR because I have no other choice as an owner of AWD IS 250

but even if I did have a RWD IS 250/350, I'd consider these over the others due to cost and their pretty good history.
Old 05-27-09, 07:44 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by nabbun

a couple of us told you the differences and if you can't see it for yourself, why do we have to make a decision for you?

I absolutely agree with you, BUT. coilovers is not like a set of wheels that you get just for looks and it all depends on your taste. its harder to decide with coilovers becasue tese are such a big part of the car.
Like you said in the end is personal preference, but before I do that I have to be 100% sure.
I wish I had only one option like you, so i wouldnt have to do research. hehe
Old 05-27-09, 08:11 PM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

^^^your to paranoid
Old 05-27-09, 09:41 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

I know. i have to tell you why latter
Old 05-27-09, 11:00 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

hey guys, megan racing is only $200 dollars cheaper than the BCR.

if you can't afford it, or simply don't wanna pay more, then just stick with Megan.

It's that simple.

don't have us telling you all these facts and this and that and then have you buying something and then having buyers remorse.

do some more research, ask ppl who have these, and then form your own opinion depending on your needs. what do you want these for? why are you getting them?

if a certain set of coilovers suits your needs, then purchase it.

I'm getting the BCR because I have no other choice as an owner of AWD IS 250

but even if I did have a RWD IS 250/350, I'd consider these over the others due to cost and their pretty good history.
it's because he does NOT want to have buyer's remorse that he is asking these questions. if i were in his position, i would want to make the best decision with my money (don't we all?). i think anyone in his position - including future coilover buyers - would want to ask the same questions as well.

also, buying a relatively unfamiliar brand's application can be daunting at times. if you were in the OP's position, wouldn't you want to inquire as to the functionality and overall quality of the product?

btw, while megans may be $200+ less expensive than BCRs, what does that additional $200+ buy? again, like the question i posed to Circuit MS, are we talking about significant or marginal improvements? a buyer may be more likely to spend that additional $200+ for significant improvements. conversely, a buyer may be less likely to spend $200+ if it only afforded marginal improvements.
Old 05-28-09, 12:14 AM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by juice14
these comments make me think...

would it be worth the money to order something like JIC then?
why are they so pricey? are they really that much better?

I mean if they have the similar design, similar size, similar spring rates, etc. as some other cheaper ones, then how come they are more pricey? are they really that much better than the ones we are talking about?

the JIC is totally different than megan or bc.

They are thicker....

Is like you are comparing 225 tires with 265 tires.

Which one give you better grip?

Why is 265 tires more expensive than 225 tires?!
Old 05-28-09, 01:05 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the shock body diameter on a JIC? I don't know offhand.

Other than what I have already said, I am not sure what I can say to convey the benefits. We would love to be able to do a real comprehensive, back-to-back test of all the popular suspensions. But we don't have the time or money for that kind of undertaking right now.

Most Lexus owners could care less about max G's and lap times though. The most questions we receive on suspensions is ride quality and cost.
Old 05-28-09, 01:59 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by projectdna
it's because he does NOT want to have buyer's remorse that he is asking these questions. if i were in his position, i would want to make the best decision with my money (don't we all?). i think anyone in his position - including future coilover buyers - would want to ask the same questions as well.

also, buying a relatively unfamiliar brand's application can be daunting at times. if you were in the OP's position, wouldn't you want to inquire as to the functionality and overall quality of the product?

btw, while megans may be $200+ less expensive than BCRs, what does that additional $200+ buy? again, like the question i posed to Circuit MS, are we talking about significant or marginal improvements? a buyer may be more likely to spend that additional $200+ for significant improvements. conversely, a buyer may be less likely to spend $200+ if it only afforded marginal improvements.
you keep asking the same questions over and over again lol

we gave you the answers, yet you ask again!

you guys should call BCR-NA and Megan Racing and find out for yourself what they offer see if they fit your needs.

if you guys are just going for a simple drop, then brand doesn't matter.

Just go with whichever you like most

PS. BCR isn't really an unknown brand.
Old 05-28-09, 02:32 PM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Originally Posted by HKS350
^ Yea right!! No thats in a different league,lol, and it's name is Ohlins. Starting price = 8k

BTW, I see your into carting, thinking of getting the kids and my self into it. If you don't mind PM me some good links to places I can get started in the sport. please sir.
You misread. I don't care if I can control Bump - I dont want or need DA shocks. I just hate it when cheap coilover turn up bump as you increase rebound. Teins did this and ever setting was a compromise. I'd rather only control rebound and bump set approximately for the spring it comes with (think Koni Sports).

I just think if a vendor says x rides better than y, publish some shock dynos to show this. Feel is just too relative. I think a spec miata rides rougher than my kart on a local track, others would disagree - neither of us is wrong, its just not very scientific.

I'll PM you kart info, its a great sport and a lot cheaper than racing cars with similar performance.

Also I forgot to ask, does anyone have a good link explaining the difference between the N+ Spec and the Race Spec? Seems like the N+ Spec would be more appealing to most IS owners from the little bit I did find, especially price.

Last edited by Tommyboy72; 05-28-09 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-28-09, 05:04 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

you keep asking the same questions over and over again lol

we gave you the answers, yet you ask again!

you guys should call BCR-NA and Megan Racing and find out for yourself what they offer see if they fit your needs.

if you guys are just going for a simple drop, then brand doesn't matter.

Just go with whichever you like most

PS. BCR isn't really an unknown brand.
i keep asking questions because they weren't answered. there's a difference between objective, unbiased facts and marketing material. and guess what? now that they are, i'm not going to ask the same questions.

when i said that BCR is an unknown brand, i meant that it was not as popular with 2is owners as it is with other groups of auto enthusiasts. we're familiar with brands like megan, tein, tanabe, buddy club, JIC, HKS, etc. because there are threads and discussions centered around it. not too many owners have BCR coilovers (maybe aside from the awd 2is owners, which are a handful to begin with), and as such there isn't as much information here. even i had to go to their website to look for myself.

btw, Circuit MS was helpful enough to provide information and engage in product discussion. there's nothing wrong with asking questions; it provides a lot of helpful information, especially in a public forum. however, if that doesn't sit well with you, maybe you should stay out of this one.
Old 05-28-09, 05:59 PM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommyboy72
You misread. I don't care if I can control Bump - I dont want or need DA shocks. I just hate it when cheap coilover turn up bump as you increase rebound. Teins did this and ever setting was a compromise. I'd rather only control rebound and bump set approximately for the spring it comes with (think Koni Sports).

I just think if a vendor says x rides better than y, publish some shock dynos to show this. Feel is just too relative. I think a spec miata rides rougher than my kart on a local track, others would disagree - neither of us is wrong, its just not very scientific.

I'll PM you kart info, its a great sport and a lot cheaper than racing cars with similar performance.

Also I forgot to ask, does anyone have a good link explaining the difference between the N+ Spec and the Race Spec? Seems like the N+ Spec would be more appealing to most IS owners from the little bit I did find, especially price.
All the coilovers above adjust the single valve / orfice size. Rebound and compres. get the same feedback no matter where you set it.
The only way to truely adjust a monotube shock is to add shimplates. With the twintube they sometimes have a rebound setting (another adjustable orfice Koni type) to bleed off fluid into the outer tube.
Most people adjust the spring rate thinking they are adding more rebound only to find the handling got worse.
This is the reason for "lol and Ohlins" comment. Anything with that much adjustment would be custom "one-off" parts which if your going to do that might as well go with Ohlins.

Are you talking about Buddyclub N+ coilovers? If so I don't know if they make anything for the ISx50's.
Old 05-28-09, 11:11 PM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Originally Posted by HKS350
Are you talking about Buddyclub N+ coilovers? If so I don't know if they make anything for the ISx50's.
Yes I am. I was told they are newly available for the ISx50 now. They are about $200 cheaper than the Race Spec. Since most of us will never take our cars as serious track or autox cars, they sound more in line with what would work and the price break is a nice bonus. However, I cannot find exact spec differences, I'm just drawing parallels from other cars that they offer both types.
Old 05-29-09, 11:35 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will try and post up some Dyno sheets when I can. The owner of BCR is out of town 'til tuesday.
Old 05-30-09, 05:17 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

It seems that for the IS there isn't a midpoint between high and lower end coilovers...the lower end are around $1,000 and many others are almost twice as much (HKS, JIC, etc)...Tein CST are in the middle but they are probably priced that high because of their name brand. im guessing a similar product with a name like MEgan would cost around $1000 too..
Thanks for alot of good info, some questions have been answered...Hopefully we can see the dynos and compare.
Im still making my decision, maybe I come across a great deal to make my decision easier..

Quick Reply: BC racing, Tein CS, Megan, or Tanabe coilovers???