Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BC racing, Tein CS, Megan, or Tanabe coilovers???

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-09, 11:32 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

considering that any CL member here can get megan racing LPs for under $800 from select vendors here in CL, why should a 2is owner pay $200 more for coilovers with marginal improvement in design?

again, the megan LP's are at a very good price/performance point. aside from bragging rights, anything more expensive would only provide marginal improvements, most of which won't even be explored on surface streets.

btw, here are pictures of the BC racing coilovers for the 2is (image courtesy of ravspeconline)...

and megan racing LP coilovers for the 2is (image courtesy of megan racing)...

so aside from larger shock bodies, what else should i be looking at that the BC racing coilovers have that the megan racing LP's don't? what "locking ring/rings"? both have two upper locking rings and one lower locking ring, so what is this locking ring that's not available on the megan racing LPs?

again, this brings me back to my question... why should a 2is owner pay $200 more for BC racing coilovers instead of megan racing LPs? i think everyone - including the OP - would like to know.

(btw, you can google these images. it's not like i just pulled these out of thin air...)

Last edited by projectdna; 05-26-09 at 11:36 PM.
Old 05-26-09, 11:52 PM
Nigel-JDMParts
Lexus Champion

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

You guys might want to think about buddy club coilover?

They are from Japan and definately should be consider as well!!

The price are good too!

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/clu...-coilover.html
Old 05-27-09, 12:01 AM
smokyis350
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't recommend buddy club coilovers. Had it on my previous car and it sucked.
Old 05-27-09, 12:56 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by smokyis350
I wouldn't recommend buddy club coilovers. Had it on my previous car and it sucked.
AM1 has buddy clubs on his is350, and according to his review they're pretty good.
Old 05-27-09, 05:17 AM
HKS350
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
^HKS has really good info on the monotube vs. twintube designs.

If you guys are considering Megan racing coilovers you should really consider the BC Racing coilovers.

Compared to Megans, BCR coilovers have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, locking lower rings (so the height adjustment rings don't work loose), and a better damping curve. They end up being a lot more compliant over rough surfaces. And they tend to last longer.

Overall the BCR coilovers are just a nicer piece, for just a bit more money.

Bigger internals means more surface area for the shim stacks and valves, which leads to a smoother ride and better tuning of damping. The larger shock bodies means more room for the internals and a stiffer cartirdge, which means it will hold up to much more abuse. The BCR coilovers also come with a coarser thread, so you can adjust ride height easier and quickly.

D2 from what I have seen, does not have consistent damping from damper to damper and the build quality is not on par with the rest of the companies.

Feel free to PM us with any inquiries. I have personally run BCR's on 3 of my vehicles and the CMS STi runs a BCR ER series.

HKS makes a really nice coilover, they do cost a good bit more though.

Also FYI - Pillowball bearings will provide a more direct and solid feeling in your suspension but they will also make the ride a bit more harsh and transfer more noise and vibration. A lot of Lexus owners like erring on the side of comfort. So BCR provides the option of pillowball OR rubber mounts.
Good sells pitch! What is the dia. of the body? Just an FYI for all the noobs, the larger the body the more valving control you have, better fluid fuction and better cooling. Depending on the type of oil used in the shock then it can be either more stiff than the Megan's or just have better control. That is my only complaint for the Megan's. The valving adjustments are too harsh. You can never find that sweet spot for the street. Its either too soft or rattles your brain's out.
Old 05-27-09, 09:45 AM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Projectdna - If you read through my post completely I explain the advantages, both in design and how you would benefit on the street.

Here:

"Compared to Megans, BCR coilovers have bigger internals, beefier shock bodies, locking lower rings (so the height adjustment rings don't work loose), and a better damping curve. They end up being a lot more compliant over rough surfaces. And they tend to last longer.

Overall the BCR coilovers are just a nicer piece, for just a bit more money.

Bigger internals means more surface area for the shim stacks and valves, which leads to a smoother ride and better tuning of damping. The larger shock bodies means more room for the internals and a stiffer cartridge, which means it will hold up to much more abuse. The BCR coilovers also come with a coarser thread, so you can adjust ride height easier and quickly."

So basically, as you drive down the road, the BCR's will ride smoother than the Megans.

The damper adjustments also have a finer adjustment range.

To describe the lower locking ring in detail; I am referring to the lower mount locking ring. Most coilover companies use a flat bottom and flat top ring. So you just run the ring onto the lower mount and it just sits there. As the threads get worn, say after adjusting it a few times, the ring won't have much to grip onto, its a flat surface against a flat surface. They can rattle loose.

I used to have a set of Teins and the lower locking rings would come loose all the time. I would literally hit them with a hammer to tighten them and it would still come loose. Used to aggravate the hell out of me haha.

The BCR lower locking ring has a concave design, it slopes in toward the lower mount. So when you tighten it, there is a lot more surface area to bite into and keep it tight. It's one of the nice deisgn features that gets overlooked sometimes. But is very nice to have. Sometimes it's the small things that sets others apart.
Old 05-27-09, 11:32 AM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

^ actually, i've been reading your posts regarding how much better the BC racing coilovers are. it sounded like marketing material first time around, and it still does. sure, that's just my opinion, but imo as consumers and enthusiasts 2is owners interested in coilovers (in the near future or otherwise) would like to hear honest, unbiased, objective statements - instead of marketing material.

of course, you guys are in the business of selling your products, and as such would rely on marketing material to form your own opinions. but given the lack of a product presence, and in addition to the popularity of other products (we're a relatively brand-loyal bunch), doesn't that warrant a greater need for more "honest, unbiased, objective statements," or even side-by-side comparisons?

the reason why i posted the two pics up is because looking at those pics side by side i can't tell if there are any noticeable differences; they pretty much look the same (after all, how many times can you re-invent the wheel, right?). should/is/will a 2is owner - especially a budget-conscious one - going to drop an additional $200+ on BCR coilovers, even though they look about the same as megan racing coilovers? i don't know, but i do know that if i am going to spend a certain, additional amount of money on coilovers, they better give me something more than just (again, imo) marginal improvements.

(btw, ride quality is subjective, no? i mean, one person's stiff is another person's acceptable and another person's soft...)
Old 05-27-09, 11:51 AM
suicidesam
Lexus Test Driver

Old 05-27-09, 12:17 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what are the megan made off? how about the BC racing?

Last edited by juice14; 05-27-09 at 12:24 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 02:47 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

From research, BC racing makes a lot of people's coilovers. Including the MEGANS, Apexi, Greedy(from some reports) and there are reports it looks very similar to Stance coilovers. So if you really look at it, BC racing coilovers are probably(guessing) a "beefed up" version of coilovers they make for other companies so i would think they would fix and improve on the designs to get the best product out to the consumer(which is what every company wants to do right?) the fact that i read like 200 pages of reviews on Subaru and nissan/infinti's forum just kind of verifies that the coilovers are built with quality and has many positive reviews to back it up. If you read reviews Megans are slightly looked down upon but just recently they have been getting great reviews from owners(perhaps this is due to BC racing's production) Who knows.. Im just going by 1 boring saturday afternoon research mission

Oh yeah FIG, who is pretty respectable among my.is forum members and now a CL vendor has given these a pretty good review for his set of BC racing coilovers for his IS-F.

BC racing,megans,D2 racing they're all made in Taiwan so if you seriously want high quality and reliability with the history to back it up get JIC, Zeals,HKS

Last edited by ExTrEmE99; 05-27-09 at 02:51 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 03:06 PM
CircuitMS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Project - I am not trying to get into an argument, I am just trying to post up the facts that people are asking for.

Like a few have said here, there are many reviews on the Subaru, Evo, 350Z/G35 forums if you want to look those up. There are literally thousands of happy BCR owners. There are also a few reviews on here from CL members who have purchased the coilovers and done write-ups on them.

We are offering our "unbiased" opinion here. I have used these on 3 of my personal vehicles and we run them on our shop STi. I have run a lot of suspensions and posted opinions on them.

As a business we can sell whatever we want. I can get you any suspension you ask for, ksport, tein, megan, d2, jic etc. We choose to recommend BCR coilovers because they do everything most people need, and they do it well, at an affordable price. We are not "locked" into selling BCR coilovers, It's a company we respect and promote.

I have posted up the advantages, if you agree and think it's a better product, great. If not and you disagree, no problem. We just try to post up facts and correct certain misunderstandings.

A suspension is a big investment for a car, it accounts for your ride quality, handling, and it's your connection to the road (plus tires). I know I would rather pay a couple hundred dollars more to get a lot more out of a suspension.

Old 05-27-09, 03:38 PM
nabbun
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ExTrEmE99
From research, BC racing makes a lot of people's coilovers. Including the MEGANS, Apexi, GRedy(confirmed) and there are reports it looks very similar to Stance coilovers. So if you really look at it, BC racing coilovers are probably(guessing) a "beefed up" version of coilovers they make for other companies so i would think they would fix and improve on the designs to get the best product out to the consumer(which is what every company wants to do right?) the fact that i read like 200 pages of reviews on Subaru and nissan/infinti's forum just kind of verifies that the coilovers are built with quality and has many positive reviews to back it up. If you read reviews Megans are slightly looked down upon but just recently they have been getting great reviews from owners(perhaps this is due to BC racing's production) Who knows.. Im just going by 1 boring saturday afternoon research mission

BC racing,megans,D2 racing they're all made in Taiwan so if you seriously want high quality and reliability with the history to back it up get JIC, Zeals,HKS

He said what I wanted to say and then some. ( BCR-NA won't spill the beans on who's stuff they make because they are under contract so don't even try asking them. I already did. lol )

Don't forget BC makes these for the Mini Cooper and they absolutely love it!

Great product for a Great price.

I've talked with someone at BC Racing NA office in Florida and he told me how you can customize your spring rates and get different cartridges depending on your cars needs.

lets say you weigh your car, you can set the spring rates differently front and back.

let's say you want a more supple ride.

it doesn't matter, you can order whatever you want.

CMS also pointed out that you can choose between pillowball mounts or rubber.

Here's the best part: When the time comes for a rebuild (all coilovers need to be rebuilt anywhere from 15k miles to 50k miles ) all you have to do is order the cartridges, take out the old ones, and pop in the new ones.

No need to send your coils out to get serviced!

Just bring your car to a local shop or if you're a big do it yourselfer, then DIY foh fweeee!

I would choose BCR in a heart beat over Megan Racing.
Old 05-27-09, 04:20 PM
projectdna
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CircuitMS
Project - I am not trying to get into an argument, I am just trying to post up the facts that people are asking for.

Like a few have said here, there are many reviews on the Subaru, Evo, 350Z/G35 forums if you want to look those up. There are literally thousands of happy BCR owners. There are also a few reviews on here from CL members who have purchased the coilovers and done write-ups on them.

We are offering our "unbiased" opinion here. I have used these on 3 of my personal vehicles and we run them on our shop STi. I have run a lot of suspensions and posted opinions on them.

As a business we can sell whatever we want. I can get you any suspension you ask for, ksport, tein, megan, d2, jic etc. We choose to recommend BCR coilovers because they do everything most people need, and they do it well, at an affordable price. We are not "locked" into selling BCR coilovers, It's a company we respect and promote.

I have posted up the advantages, if you agree and think it's a better product, great. If not and you disagree, no problem. We just try to post up facts and correct certain misunderstandings.

A suspension is a big investment for a car, it accounts for your ride quality, handling, and it's your connection to the road (plus tires). I know I would rather pay a couple hundred dollars more to get a lot more out of a suspension.

there's no arguing; imo it's just some interesting fact-finding and a spirited discussion about the virtues of the BCR product versus what's already available on the market. if we can't discuss that here, then where?

i've done my share of research of BCR coilovers, and i agree with you that it's a great product. it's not only well-designed and performs as described, but it's also got its own cult following (subaru, evo, g35, z guys, etc.). i think that should establish that i'm NOT on some kind of personal mission to put your product down.

however, what i'd like to know is that these design/product advantages are significant or marginal (slightly). if they are significant, how much more so? maybe it's just me, but i'm more sold on a product that can provide real, objective data (faster lap times, lateral G measurements, higher slalom speeds, etc.) instead of subjective opinions (i.e. "smoother" ride, "better" handling).

if i'm being unreasonable, then i apologize for being a discriminate consumer. as an auto enthusiast, i'd like to know that the aftermarket products i have installed in my car actually does something more than just "looks cool," especially if it is a relatively high-priced item such as coilovers.

(but, hey, i admit it; i have some "looks cool" mods. but don't we all? /OT)
Old 05-27-09, 04:57 PM
juice14
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

these comments make me think...

would it be worth the money to order something like JIC then?
why are they so pricey? are they really that much better?

I mean if they have the similar design, similar size, similar spring rates, etc. as some other cheaper ones, then how come they are more pricey? are they really that much better than the ones we are talking about?

Last edited by juice14; 05-27-09 at 05:05 PM.
Old 05-27-09, 05:53 PM
Tommyboy72
Rookie

Since a vendor has stated the BC has a better shock curve than the megan, can you post the shock dyno plots of both shocks? That would help me decide which is better for ride quality. Also, do both/either adjust rebound and damping in the same adjustment? I hate how Tein does that along with many others cheap coilovers.

Quick Reply: BC racing, Tein CS, Megan, or Tanabe coilovers???