Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Daizen sway bars installed, now the car oversteers like crazy

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 06:50 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Daizen sway bars installed, now the car oversteers like crazy

And I'm looking for solutions.

First of all, heres my suspension setup... its stock. Riding on stock 17's with oversized sidewall - 235/55/r17. The tires are Goodyear F1 all season - they are high performance or even ultra high performance all seasons.

Last week I installed the Daizen sways, and I set the rear bar at the middle setting. While city driving improved 10000 times, and taking corners at up to 40mph is just awesome now, on the highway taking long curves was scary. I felt the car loosing it several times, and reset the bar onto the most understeer setting. Its not much better, but still way too sensitive. I'm afraid to take curves on the highway as fast as I was taking them before the sways because the steering wheel is way too sensitive to the input and not forgiving at all. I'm looking at some possible solutions, and suggestions from all of you.

Now, here's a list of things that are not an option.

1) Bigger rims with lower profile tires - I've bent too many of those, on NYC roads I just cant deal with that.
2) Lowering the car - Dont want to deal with clearances, rubbing, camber, lower ball joints, etc.
3) Coilovers - I heard they do not last. I don't have the time or finances to keep replacing them.

And this is a list of things that I'm considering.

1) Remove the Daizen rear bar and put the stock bar back in. Im afraid though that it will create huge amounts of understeer and bring back too much body roll.
2) Get TOM's 6 link and TOM's lower braces to stiffen up suspension. Don't know if thats going to have any results on oversteer.
3) Get Bilstein Sport shocks, and mate them with stock springs. Also, don't know if this will improve the oversteer.
4) Get rid of the front daizen bar and replace it with TRD. Since the TRD is beefier, it should introduce some more understeer, and perhaps minimize the body roll even further. I'm thinking this is the most viable solutions. Btw, if anyone's looking to trade their TRD front for my Daizen front, hit me up in the PM's.
Old 05-22-09, 08:44 AM
sam430
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

If the daizen rear is thicker than the TRD blue, you may switch the rear if that's the case. Plus, it's easier to swap and ship the rear one. Maybe Gsteg can chime in.
Old 05-22-09, 09:11 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I believe both TRDs are thicker than Daizens.
Old 05-22-09, 09:26 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Front TRDs are larger/heavier than the Daizen. As for the rear, they're approximately the same, however stiffness is determined by many other factors..not just thickness alone.

I wouldn't switch out the daizen rears for the TRDs. Our cars are slightly understeered from the factory so while having the front Daizen bar may help with body roll, you might experience even more understeering.

When I had my daizens, the rear end didn't feel loose at all..same with the stiffer TRDs. Then again, I already had lowering/stiffer springs (l-tuned) so that may be an attribution as to why I wasn't swinging my rear end around.
Old 05-22-09, 12:01 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GSteg
Front TRDs are larger/heavier than the Daizen. As for the rear, they're approximately the same, however stiffness is determined by many other factors..not just thickness alone.

I wouldn't switch out the daizen rears for the TRDs. Our cars are slightly understeered from the factory so while having the front Daizen bar may help with body roll, you might experience even more understeering.

When I had my daizens, the rear end didn't feel loose at all..same with the stiffer TRDs. Then again, I already had lowering/stiffer springs (l-tuned) so that may be an attribution as to why I wasn't swinging my rear end around.
Well I didnt mean to swap the rear sway bars, I meant to swap the front Daizen for TRD, to create more understeer.

As far as the suspension, what do you think about Bilsteins with stock springs?
Old 06-03-09, 04:03 PM
dsnowgs4
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have both F&R sways in, then I think you may be just sensitive to the new feel of the car.

One option is to get the Tom's 6 link suspension installed as it can settle the car down and help stablize the rear end.

I have the TRD sways and the Toms 6 piece link, and I would say I can dial up overseer when I want it, but I also have very clear control of the limit.

BTW when I installed the sways originally I put only the rear TRD sway in on my car and went for a drive. It gave the feeling I pointed out before, very harsh & quick rear end that exceeded the performance of the front. It definetly gave me a feeling of possible snap oversteer when I pushed the car.

It went away and became very balanced when I installed the front sway. It was further refined when the 6 link went on.