Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Supra TT front brake converts - pls help

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 08:38 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Supra TT front brake converts - pls help

I am trying to size up this project for my '92 SC300, but have a few imprtant questions:
1. What is the minimum offset in a 17" rim required to fit the MKIV front brake calipers? I've got 17x8 Fittipaldi Tubolares w/ +38mm offset - will they fit?
2. What else besides the calipers, rotors, pads, stainless steel brakelines, and brake fluid is required to do the conversion?
3. Anything to worry about in getting re-built Supra Turbo calipers from your local auto shop like Pep Boys? They offer a lifetime guarantee and price out at $100 each for the fronts.
4. Where is the best place to go for a new front brake conversion package? How much should I expect to pay?

I did a search but could not find much. I also sent an e-mail to Toyota World. Also checked out someone's web-site for his '92 SC300 turbo conversion - pretty cool, but need more info.
Your help is greatly appreciated!
Old 03-20-02, 09:01 AM
cupete
Pole Position

How about here?

http://www.suprastore.com/supra/supturfronbr.html

The price is cheaper than what Steve G. quoted me but I don't know which parts are included in the "hardware".

Peter~
Old 03-20-02, 09:46 AM
mdfdsc300
Pole Position

thanx Peter, it may be worth considering. I think for the same price, +/- $100, I can get the same setup w/ a lifetime warranty on the re-built calipers.
Anyone else?
Old 03-20-02, 10:00 AM
cupete
Pole Position

You can also try Steve G.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sho...threadid=17962

Total price is $889 and the upgrade package is for GS but should fit SC.

Peter~
Old 03-20-02, 10:42 AM
quick
Pole Position

In terms of whether your wheels would work I'd find out what the stock offset for Supra TT wheels is and compare that to yours. If you're the same or greater you probably have a good chance of fitting.

Hope that helps.

Just found my fitment guide:
Stock Supra TT fronts are
17x8.0 with 50mm offset and run 235/45R17s
rears are
17x9.5 with 50mm offset and run 255/40R17s
Old 04-06-02, 09:11 PM
Ag02M5
Lexus Test Driver

Default Hard pressed.

I would be very surprised if you can get Supra TT brakes for $100 rebuilt...they go for more than that at the junkyard.

If you can, go for it and let me know...I'll get some spares.

Also, offset has NOTHING to do with whether or not the calipers will clear. The wheel must have a "high disk" for the fronts.

I think I have seen that wheel on a supra before so you might have a chance.

late.

Ryan
Old 04-30-02, 04:58 PM
London Bill
Lead Lap

Default Wheel Offsets v Caliper Clearance

Hi Guys,

I spent some time getting to grips with Offset's and Caliper clearance for the Supra brake upgrades on a Soarer. the offset on the front wheels needs to kept as near as possible to +50mm otherwise the steering will be affected as it throws out the scrub radius, the rear offset is not as critical.

There is no direct corrolation between offset and caliper clearance, the clearance is dictated by the architecture or shape of the wheel's inner spokes, some wheels with a +50mm Offset will hit the Supra calipers others wont, shallow offsets like 35/32mm stand a better chance of fitting as the lesser offset pushes the spokes out towards the wheel arch but some will still hit the Supra caliper.

If you are ordering rims for a Soarer (SC) with Supra brakes ask for a Supra fitment (min 17" rim height), just make sure they dont palm you off with shallow offsets on the front, there are some diagrams and more inf on SoarerTT in the Mechanical\Steering section.
Old 05-02-02, 08:52 AM
Red93sc400
Pole Position

I have done the Supra TT caliper and rotor upgrade myself to my 93 SC400. You will need to totally remove the stock front dust shields on your SC400 as they will be too small for the TT front rotors. The old SC400 calipers simply unbolt and the new ones bolt right in. I am running the GREEN STUFF carbon kevlar pads which I purchased from Tire Rack. I painted the front calipers with red caliper paint (3 coats). I am running the stock rubber brake lines which fit in just fine. The braking is improved but at first, until the new pads and rotors bed in or break in and mate well your braking will be not as wonderful. Take it easy on the brakes during the break in process which should be a few hundred miles.

I purchased two sets of braided front brake hoses but neither would fit well onto the male firm line stock coupling. It appears that when these are installed and torqued at the factory the tip of the male firm line coupling bells out a bit with the femal rubber hose coupling. This belling prohibits entry into the new stainless hose (in my case). Now, I have been told that you can either file or slightly crimp the belling of the firm line coupling down so it will fit. I was very very reluctant to do this deed as if I screwed it up the car would be layed up for quite some time and I could not afford that inconvieience as I use it every day. I still have the Goodridge stainless front and rear stainless braided hoses. These are made for the Supra TT (93-98) and you can get them from Rod Millen and other suppliers. You will probably need some licquid wrench or penetrating oil to help in the removal of the stock front caliper bolts, (I did). Also some tin snips to help remove the dust shields as they do not come off easily without removing the entire front hub and axel assembly.

You will also need a few bottles of Toyota or other approved brake fluid to do this conversion. Word of advice here. You must also have a spare tire that will fit over the HUGE supra TT front brake calipers. I have a Supra TT front wheel and tire as my spare in the trunk. Just remember that little fact, if you ever get a flat in the front without a spare that will clear the caliper, you are SOL. Have fun.