ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Suspension and Brakes (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes-185/)
-   -   GS400 Motor Mounts (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/423435-gs400-motor-mounts.html)

Lexamatic 04-18-09 08:44 AM

GS400 Motor Mounts

1 Attachment(s)
Got a CEL the other day and discovered the motor mounts were bad. The motor was flexing over causing a CEL for evaporative emissions because an emission hose was pulled loose from the motor. After 141k miles, it was time to replace the mounts. Did the tranny mount as well. 2 motor mounts and a tranny mount is $300 from Sewell. Local Midas shop installed them for $300.

This is one of the motor mounts. Note it is broken at the bottom. You can see the mounts are hosed if you put the car in gear, foot on brake, and goose the motor. Mine would flex way over, indicating broken mounts. With new mounts the car accelerates much more smoothly and crisply now.

Solo_D33A 04-18-09 10:15 AM

I was also told by my Lexus dealer to replace the front 2 mounts aswel when I'm installing the tranny mount due to a deep cunk sound when I brake or accel harder than usual.

sam430 04-28-09 11:34 PM

You probably can find oem mounts cheaper on ebay.

Lexamatic 04-29-09 03:20 PM

One update to this: When the mounts are changed, the installer will likely support the motor with a stand and un-bolt the engine cradle from the body. This requires the allignment to be re-checked after the cradle is re-attached.

And absolutely question the installer to make sure that all the bolts are properly torqued. The bubba that did my install didn't tighten the bolts properly and one of the mounts started making noise. There's a plastic access panel at the bottom of the suspension arm that provides a direct view of the bolts that attach the mount to the body, so its simple to inspect the work. The bolt that mounts to the motor is a little harder to see, especially on the passenger side. The exhaust manifold makes for a crowded space.

LexLugrDjK 08-09-17 09:59 PM

Originally Posted by Solo_D33A (Post 4447513)
I was also told by my Lexus dealer to replace the front 2 mounts aswel when I'm installing the tranny mount due to a deep cunk sound when I brake or accel harder than usual.

Would you happen to have a walk through process locations of mounts?

LexLugrDjK 08-09-17 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Lexamatic (Post 4447339)
Got a CEL the other day and discovered the motor mounts were bad. The motor was flexing over causing a CEL for evaporative emissions because an emission hose was pulled loose from the motor. After 141k miles, it was time to replace the mounts. Did the tranny mount as well. 2 motor mounts and a tranny mount is $300 from Sewell. Local Midas shop installed them for $300.

This is one of the motor mounts. Note it is broken at the bottom. You can see the mounts are hosed if you put the car in gear, foot on brake, and goose the motor. Mine would flex way over, indicating broken mounts. With new mounts the car accelerates much more smoothly and crisply now.

would you happen to have a walk through or location on these mounts

timtim14 03-17-22 09:52 AM

All, I was able to get the motor mounts swapped a few weekends back.

Probably ~3 hours from start to finish. I discovered a much easier way to get these out than dropping the subframe. I had to slide the alternator and AC compressor forward, then access was easy.

I made a video and posted it on my youtube channel "Nolan Motorsports" and the video is called "Lexus GS Motor Mount Replacement - Lexus GS400 (1UZ-FE)".

No special tools were required.

-Tim