Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

lowering car while retaining silkysmooth LEXUS ride?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-09, 08:56 PM
ek9max
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering car while retaining silkysmooth LEXUS ride?

So I'm new to the leuxs world. I just bought a 2001 GS430 navi. It's mainly for my daily driver/winter day. I got an all out racecar turbo S2000 for my summer/fun car.

Anyways. I LOVE this GS430 a lot so far. I love how it rides and how it looks, and teh quality. HOWEVER.... I cannot stand for the near 4" gap on the front wheels.....

In all my experience with tuning cars, wheneer i lower the car the ride quality goes to crap... (but handles better in most cases)

So my question.... can i lower the car and still maintain the awesome Lexus ride quality????

I don't want to spend a top of money on this. So I just wanna know what are teh best spring/strut combo that still ride nice??

Any or all suggestions welcome!

Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-09, 10:25 PM
HGill
Pole Position

Daizen springs with KYB shocks, very smooth ride and about 2 inches lower.
Old 03-25-09, 06:29 AM
kamlung
Instructor

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts

if you do a subtle drop (1"-1.5") you can retain your stock struts... eibach, tte or tein should give you an oem feel still...
Old 03-25-09, 12:41 PM
lilsharky
Pole Position

you can get tein cs but it'll run you about 1400
Old 03-25-09, 04:20 PM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been riding on this setup for a little less than a week:
KYB GR-2 from Tirerack.com
Tanabe DF210 from LuxuryMods.com
Old 03-25-09, 05:40 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Pick your tires carefully, and don't get large rims. That's also important to preserve the ride characteristics.
Old 03-25-09, 05:48 PM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

the right coilovers with comforting spring rates
do it right the first time...once you start lowering, you may want to go even lower
Old 03-25-09, 10:29 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

...JIC's?
Old 03-26-09, 06:28 AM
GS300Rich
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had eibach springs about 6 years ago on my GS and it was very close to stock, then I went to Tein CS and it was a little bit harsher of a ride. The eibachs will only get you about a 1" drop and the tein CS can get your tires flush with the fenders. I would go with a coilover like the CS because the ride quality is still good and you can adjust the height
Old 03-26-09, 07:34 PM
ek9max
Rookie

I heard Tanabe DF210 give a nice soft ride and a really godo drop. I'll match them up with KYB I think.
Old 03-27-09, 12:40 AM
rnsand6kds
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got new OEM shocks in place and Tanabe NF210 springs (one inch drop)waiting for install. All other posts said this keeps a stock feel to the ride. Found the NF210s on internet for around $220 with free shipping. OEM shocks were from Sewell. Use the CL discount. You'll more than likely want to add a different sway bar some time. Search, we got lotsa info in here.
Old 03-27-09, 01:37 AM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

IMHO, not even small drop progressive rate springs like Eibach will retain the OEM factory ride. There are many springs and adjustable coilovers that will retain a pretty good near stock ride, but they will all be a little stiffer than stock. The only way I can see you retaining the factory ride is if you lower the car on OEM springs and shocks using RCA's. Since the RCA's lower about 1", it should give you about the same drop as some of the minimal drop springs, it should also allow you to possibly remain within the factory alignment specs using the OEM adjustments, and should retain the OEM ride comfort.
Old 03-27-09, 05:40 AM
esolo98
Advanced

I am fairly new to the Lexus modding world, but what are RCA's? I have searched and see what they can do, but what is it an abbreviation for?
Old 03-27-09, 11:12 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

RCA = Roll Center Adjusters.

The poster who said you won't have the same ride as stock if you lower the car is correct. However, you can buy springs / shocks or coilovers that will give you good ride quality while lowering the car. I have had the following setups on my 1GS with the following results:

Eibach springs and stock shocks/struts = the ride quality was very good. I added 19" wheels at this point and was pleased with the ride. The car was a bit more athletic feeling, cornered better, and was not harsh or punishing over bumps.

Intrax springs and stock shocks/struts = the ride quality was compromised versus the Eibachs and the car did not come down any. The Intrax springs in the rear were noisy. They clicked over bumps and it drove me a little crazy. I don't recommend these.

Eibach springs and KYB shocks/struts = I went back to the Eibachs. The ride quality improved with the KYBs, but you would expect that after replacing factory parts that were starting to leak. I like the Eibachs, but wish the drop were just a bit more aggressive. I strongly recommend them if you want a nice 1.25" drop that is pretty even in the front and rear.

Tanabe DF210 springs and KYB shocks/struts: This is my current setup. The Tanabes ride really nicely and delivered the 1.8" drop as advertised. I am happy with how the car sits and I like the ride quality. At this point, the car has not been stock since February of 2002, so it's not possible to compare the ride with stock. If this setup were jarring or punishing in any way, I would change it. I am particular about the car and this setup is the best overall fit for me in terms of ride quality and drop. Hope that helps.
Old 03-27-09, 11:28 AM
esolo98
Advanced

Thanks for the help link13

Quick Reply: lowering car while retaining silkysmooth LEXUS ride?