Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Coil Overs

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-09, 07:36 PM
cknjohnny
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coil Overs

i'm looking for some good coil overs for my 2003' gs300. i heard tien's had some sort of problems such as: exploding. i had tien's in my accord and after installing them a while later, they made some wierd noise's. what you guys think about other brands of coil overs? any suggestions??? thanks...
Old 02-25-09, 07:47 PM
krappy
Rookie

all coilovers will blow over time... ive never heard of a coilover "exploiding"...ever... unless you installed them incorrectly...
Old 02-25-09, 07:53 PM
Anthony
Lexus Champion

Ive seen a coilover break in half not explode.

Tein is good, Stance, HKS..

and if you want to blow some dough JIC
Old 02-25-09, 07:58 PM
cknjohnny
Rookie

tanabe any good? i kno eventually shocks will get worned out. i had the tiens installed by a shop. i dont kno exactly if it exploded or not but it made a funny sqeaky noise a few months after. i think it just needed some oil...
Old 02-25-09, 08:02 PM
jonboy0517
Pole Position

it really all depends on what you want out of the car..? what will it be used for?

daily?
track?
slammage?
ect..
Old 02-26-09, 08:33 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Tanabe coilovers, while cheap in price, do not lower all that much..Around 1.5" or less than stock. It might hold the record for the least lowering coilovers out there
Old 02-26-09, 09:21 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

^ LOL sounds like Tanabe just has extra $$$ to blow during the current economic crisis (maybe their DFs go lower than their coilovers, LOL-wouldnt that suck! or not hehehe) hahaha

HKS (1973) > Tein (1990) (I prefer a mfr with more experience under their belt)
def JIC if you have the $$$ to blo

Last edited by 4ntvings; 02-26-09 at 09:28 AM.
Old 02-26-09, 05:12 PM
cknjohnny
Rookie

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
^ LOL sounds like Tanabe just has extra $$$ to blow during the current economic crisis (maybe their DFs go lower than their coilovers, LOL-wouldnt that suck! or not hehehe) hahaha

HKS (1973) > Tein (1990) (I prefer a mfr with more experience under their belt)
def JIC if you have the $$$ to blo
hey thanks for replying, i'm basically looking for a low drop not something around 1.5" really no point. i'm going to put 20s on, so i want at least a 3" or more drop. its a daily driven car. so winter time i' going to raise it up with stocks. what do you think for a good price coils??? thanks
Old 02-26-09, 05:15 PM
Vincent123
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm selling some coilovers, check the 2GS classifieds =)
Old 02-26-09, 06:18 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Look, I don't think the parameters of 'what' you want the coilovers to do for you is clearly defined so your post most likely will not yield the results you might have been looking for initially. With that said, there are lots of choices you can go with that will over significant drop, i.e. Stance, Megan, HKS, etc., you're going to need to replace them after driving those Michigan roads, everyone knows that.

As a DAILY driver you might want to consider something like the Bilstein and then bolt on some RCAs.

I'm on Tein CS' with tower bars and love the ride, btw.

Also - Bilstein products are backed by an aftermarket lifetime warranty.
Old 02-26-09, 06:29 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have had my Tein SS for about 10,000 miles and have been driving back and forth from indiana to michigan through snow and salt all winter. Haven't had anything to complain about with them.
Old 02-26-09, 06:31 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Try searching as well:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...coilovers.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...coilovers.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...-question.html
Old 02-26-09, 06:34 PM
Maxima3
Rookie

Originally Posted by G2low
Ive seen a coilover break in half not explode.

Tein is good, Stance, HKS..

and if you want to blow some dough JIC
have you seen that with your two eyes and not through a PC screen??? i,ve been extremely tough on my K-sports and i was never close to actually bending em... i've seen bogus stories (srry) where ppl post some pics coilover shock breaking (iirc the metal for the shock is the same material for every shock in the world) ... how hard can you turn a car before it actually flips or loses control, or even something else with a suspension... my friend actually went around a turn at 140+mph, lost it and crashed is acrura legend, the car caught on fire and the whole engine burnt (suspend his license because he tried running from the cops) and took the coilovers from his totalled burnt car and install em on his new legend and it runs perfect... companies can actually get sued for that crap, but yet nobody ever filed a lawsuit... i think it's photoshopped BS srry if it actually happened to any of you guys, but ill believe it when i actually see it happen...
Old 02-26-09, 06:44 PM
Maxima3
Rookie

ppl can recommend whatever, but it all depends on how you lower the ride and how stiff you are riding on em daily, every coilover is a tad different but at the end of the day they really are the same, for the most part its the luck of the draw (i've had my K-sport for a yr and all four shocks are blown but as stated before i was being really hard on em) they all will go depending on how hard you are on em... coilovers were made for cars that were used on a track where advanced suspension is needed, i dont think the were for daily driving and abuse... i'd say go with a decent brand, i loved my K-sport but i just wanna try Stance because i've never heard of em until i came here, if not ill try Megan, because it has 32 way adjustable 2nd most to K-sport 36 way (i dont even know whats the difference )
Old 02-26-09, 06:45 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

My buddy had k-sport break on his EP civic hatch. I'll get a picture of it when my buddy goes online.

But the actual failure rate is rather low compared to the amount of sets sold, and this applies to most coilovers. I wouldn't worry about breaking.. Just buy the coilover that suits you the best.

Quick Reply: Coil Overs