Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

BBK Kits for upgrade

Old 02-19-09, 06:12 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BBK Kits for upgrade

I'm interest about find some BBK Kits for my IS250 RWD 2008. Now, I actually find 3 choice.

1. IS350 BBK Kits (Only Front)
2. ISF Brembo BBK Kits (Front & Rear)
3. F-Sport BBK Kits (Front & Rear)

My prefer are better repeat duty brake (For some meeting at circuit) and Awesome look for public. The things that I don't know are about after purchase maintainance cost like Replacement Rotor and Replacement Brake Pads.

I need your opinion please.

Which one is better?
Old 02-19-09, 06:39 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
Arrow

Out of all those listed.

Performance aside, one would say the IS350 BBK will be the cheapest, maintenance wise.

It would take some time to argue against that, so I wont.

Performance wise, people will tell you, that no aftermarket kit or upgrade kit will decrease your stopping distance, since they all have the power to engage ABS, for street driving or normal daily driving. Which, for the most part can be true (for your first 60-0 panic stop).

Now, for the race track or aggressive canyon mountain road driving. You will notice a big difference, especially if you have 250 brakes.

If you have the money price + performance, you cant go wrong with F-sport

If you want your car more for show+track, get the Brembo kit, but Its going to cost you, and the extra cost wont add up with more effective results. However, StopTech makes direct fit replacement rotors for that Brembo kit, so in theory your cost will be the same (only because you are using StopTech parts now haha )

I am not bashing Brembo, I love Brembo, I have a Brembo caliper lying next to me at all times , but their replacement cost are high, that's the only issue I have with them.

My prefer are better repeat duty brake (For some meeting at circuit) and Awesome look for public.
Sounds, like you should go with Brembo.

My personal choice, for sexiest looking calipers?

12 piston gold endless BBK, with true two piece floating rotor, hands down.

You got 12-grand to spare?

I know my StopTech calipers are ugly but they work great haha.!

Last edited by t0e; 02-19-09 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-19-09, 11:34 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Paul is spot on with his "brake-down" of the kits.

The OEM IS350 BBK will be by FAR the cheapest (and easiest) to maintain.

Brembo is more expensive than StopTech, across the board - but it's Brembo... What's interesting to note is that most every other brake component manufacturer makes things that are compatible with the Brembo GT kits, so you'll have some choices.

Regarding the rotors, it's important to note that ONLY THE FRICTION RINGS are compatible with the Brembo GT kit - the mounting bells (hats) are completely different sizes, use different fasteners, and call for different specifications when assembling the floating rotor.

Good luck.

Javier
Old 02-19-09, 11:41 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any inputs on Rotora BBK?
Old 02-19-09, 11:51 AM
Phil888
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys nice input.. quick question I was actually thinking about going with F-sport front and rear and the dealerships telling me it wont fit and it will only fit with the F wheels. Is that true?
Old 02-19-09, 11:57 AM
radicalrev
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure your wheels are BBK friendly....
Old 02-19-09, 12:20 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by Phil888
Hey guys nice input.. quick question I was actually thinking about going with F-sport front and rear and the dealerships telling me it wont fit and it will only fit with the F wheels. Is that true?
Dealer is wrong. The F-Sport BBK is 100% compatible with the OEM 18's, and says so in all the marketing material as well as the installation manual. Now, since you're not running the stock wheels, it's now up to you to verify whether your specific wheels will clear the BBK.

Javier
Old 02-19-09, 02:53 PM
iSuxeL
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All hail t0e BBK Master!
Old 02-19-09, 03:10 PM
pisaykotik
Lexus Champion

Nice input t0e, helps in deciding which BBK to go with.

However, this is kinda disturbing....

Originally Posted by t0e
I have a Brembo caliper lying next to me at all times
I'm kidding of course.
Old 02-19-09, 06:20 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

STOP, and look pretty doing it, Endless
STOP, and be Italian, Brembo
STOP, and be pimp Gansta, Project Mu
I agree 100% with your signature t0e!

ENDLESS FTW
Old 02-20-09, 06:31 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

Does Brembo BBK Kits are drop in? I don't want to modify the hub for install.

I see someone who had tried both Brembo and Stoptech comment that Brembo will change the feeling of brake pedal to be hardly and more noise at low speed (Low temperature) but Stoptech will feeling like oem. They say Stoptech is suitible for street use with some track and Brembo will suitable more for track. So, How about your opinion? It's depend on pads or rotor?

I know that F-Sport BBK was made by Stoptech.
Old 02-20-09, 06:38 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

What is the price of Brembo BBK Kits?

The best price for F-Sport BBK was around $4,100. Has anyone can get cheaper?

Originally Posted by t0e
Out of all those listed.

Performance aside, one would say the IS350 BBK will be the cheapest, maintenance wise.

It would take some time to argue against that, so I wont.

Performance wise, people will tell you, that no aftermarket kit or upgrade kit will decrease your stopping distance, since they all have the power to engage ABS, for street driving or normal daily driving. Which, for the most part can be true (for your first 60-0 panic stop).

Now, for the race track or aggressive canyon mountain road driving. You will notice a big difference, especially if you have 250 brakes.

If you have the money price + performance, you cant go wrong with F-sport

If you want your car more for show+track, get the Brembo kit, but Its going to cost you, and the extra cost wont add up with more effective results. However, StopTech makes direct fit replacement rotors for that Brembo kit, so in theory your cost will be the same (only because you are using StopTech parts now haha )

I am not bashing Brembo, I love Brembo, I have a Brembo caliper lying next to me at all times , but their replacement cost are high, that's the only issue I have with them.

Sounds, like you should go with Brembo.

My personal choice, for sexiest looking calipers?

12 piston gold endless BBK, with true two piece floating rotor, hands down.

You got 12-grand to spare?

I know my StopTech calipers are ugly but they work great haha.!
Old 02-20-09, 09:33 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by g_abac
Does Brembo BBK Kits are drop in? I don't want to modify the hub for install.
You won't need to modify the hub. Only the IS-F OEM Brembo kit requires swapping out to IS-F hubs to clear the knuckle. All of the kits (IS-F Brembo, Brembo GT and StopTech) will require you to remove/modify/replace the dust shield for proper disc clearance.

I see someone who had tried both Brembo and Stoptech comment that Brembo will change the feeling of brake pedal to be hardly and more noise at low speed (Low temperature) but Stoptech will feeling like oem. They say Stoptech is suitible for street use with some track and Brembo will suitable more for track. So, How about your opinion? It's depend on pads or rotor?

I know that F-Sport BBK was made by Stoptech.
I've driven both of the kits on several IS350's, and if installed correctly there is little to no 'pedal feel' difference between the OEM IS350 setup and the Brembo/StopTech kits. If anything, you'll get a tiny bit firmer pedal feel. My Brembos also don't squeal - but I run slotted discs, and you'll get more noise (and dust) if you run drilled discs.

Your pads will have more to do with which setup is appropriate for street/track use. Both of the kits will come with street pads, which should ideally be swapped to track pads when you plan on doing any track days. Your rotor will also play a factor if you plan on any track time. I would never use a drilled disc for any significant track use. Period.

What is the price of Brembo BBK Kits?

The best price for F-Sport BBK was around $4,100. Has anyone can get cheaper?
$4100 is pretty close to dealer cost of the F-Sport BBK. Brembos retail for much, much more ($6,800).

Javier
Old 02-20-09, 11:37 AM
g_abac
Pole Position

I think F-Sport BBK price was suitable but they come with drill rotor. Will these drill rotor crack easily? My group meeting may set up around quarterly. So, the main usage will belong to everyday on street and some track on long weekend.

Will I go wrong with F-Sport? What are the advantage and disadvantage between drill , slot and drill+slot?
Old 02-20-09, 11:41 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

There are no advantages to drilled other than looks. It's physically weaker, more prone to crack, and removes mass from a device whose ability to hold heat is defined by its mass.

Get a blank rotor for street use, or a slotted if it'll see significant track time.

Get a drilled rotor if it's primarily a show car that never sees high brake temps.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: BBK Kits for upgrade