Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

GS400: handle like a 3-series?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-09, 12:06 PM
Neo
The One

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Frankdorn
Right about how a 3-series makes the compromise. Good ride and handling. I don't need a go-cart...nor a Cadillac.
Well, that's easier said and done. I think we all want that. BMW puts a lot of R&D into making their cars drive the BMW way. Similarly, Lexus does the same. I don't think it is possible to rework the Lexus way to the BMW way, at least with our personal budgets.

Even with the collective product experience on CL, I don't think there would be enough combinations to find that "perfect" setup, especially since everyone has a different perception.

At anyone point, I've had different combinations of:

OEM suspension
L-Tuned springs/shocks
Tein Flex
Tein CS v1
TRD sways
Daizen sways
UGO Front STB
UGO Rear STB
TRD Front LCB
Tom's Front LCB (installed but never driven on)
Tom's Rear LCB
Tom's 6-link

18s wheels
20s wheels

The car handled great but the ride did get worse. It was not as balanced/nimble as I'd like but I think it had more to do with the size and weight.

Before anyone ask for more info, I have not driven my car in almost 4 years. (Long story.) All this is from memory.

Bilstein PSS, HKS LS+, and Tom's Advox are other popular coilovers that give different feel, from what I've read. I wish I'd had an opportunity to check these out. Some have had luck with TRD sways (stiff) but with OEM shocks/springs. Better cornering with soft suspension, but no lowering. Once you lower, things change again.

"Back in the days" , we've had suspension discussions ad nauseam. The best thing to do is to see if you can find locals with different set ups who are willing to let you test drive. Only you will know what you like. Even the 3 series garner a variety of feedback based on different driver backgrounds.

I wish you luck.
Old 01-13-09, 03:52 PM
JiBBeL
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went from a 3-series to the GS4 and wanted the same thing. Shocks/Springs and the TRD sway bars did the trick for me. New lighter wheels + tires combo was also a really noticeable difference in handling, which surprised me. As someone else mentioned, the steering ECU upgrade is also something you might look into. I have a 2001 so it already has the ECU and it's not too numb at all. The only other handling mod I've considered is a front strut tower bar to tighten up that steering just a little more... but it really is so close to perfect right now that I can't justify spending the money. I can't praise the TRD sway bars enough though, just the best upgrade ever.
Old 01-14-09, 05:30 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks for the responses, guys! I have Daizen sways on the way, and I think I'll be looking for Tanabe NF210s or Tien H-techs for springs and Bilstein Sports for shocks. I'm hoping that will tighten the wheel gap and nimble up the ride. I'll definitely look into the L-tuned steering ECU more and...strut tower bars: worth it or not? I found a front and rear bar on e-bay for like $90. It's only $90; buts its a wasted $90 if they don't do squat...
Old 01-14-09, 07:27 PM
raytseng
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

Thanks for the responses, guys! I have Daizen sways on the way, and I think I'll be looking for Tanabe NF210s or Tien H-techs for springs and Bilstein Sports for shocks. I'm hoping that will tighten the wheel gap and nimble up the ride. I'll definitely look into the L-tuned steering ECU more and...strut tower bars: worth it or not? I found a front and rear bar on e-bay for like $90. It's only $90; buts its a wasted $90 if they don't do squat...
If I were you:
Before or during your install of springs/shocks, sways;
Replace your OEM worn components (balljoints+tierods+steering rack bushings (see sticky) before getting more aftermarket parts.
This could also save you some money by only having to get 1 alignment instead of several(although they may tell you to wait a week for the springs to settle).
The balljoints-hopefully will also save you money if you've seen the sticky links of how neglecting those can cause you to have a very expensive bad day.

Take a checkpoint and see how it drives after this. With the lowered springs and bilstein Sports it should be already stiffer then a 3-series, although the steering/feedback is not going to be easy to chang-Perhaps just change out the old PS fluid for new synthetic ATF, before spending cash for the ECU).

I've got bilstein HD+oem springs+daizen sways and this by itself is already "stiffer" then a new 3series that I just drove, in my opinion. That is to say, if I go over a speedbump on 1 wheel only, the 3series is more forgiving (mainly from the sways). But stiffness isn't everything-so from here on out you're working on what makes you happy.

Last thing is your wheel/tire choice is going to make a big difference. I am on the OEM 16" 60series tires, and I wouldn't consider moving lower profile or tighter springs as this is already borderline rough ride (for my taste!). Your actual tire choice also is going to make a big difference on your feel and grip as well as just adjusting your psi!

Last edited by raytseng; 01-14-09 at 07:40 PM.
Old 01-16-09, 12:25 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I'm already deviating from my plan a little... I found a good deal on beautiful 20" wheels. I think between those babies and the Daizen sways, I better soften the spring/shock setup somewhat...

Would the Eibach prokit and stock shocks make sense to get me pointed back in the 3-series direction?
Old 01-16-09, 06:04 PM
Scott1258
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm already deviating from my plan a little... I found a good deal on beautiful 20" wheels. I think between those babies and the Daizen sways, I better soften the spring/shock setup somewhat...

Would the Eibach prokit and stock shocks make sense to get me pointed back in the 3-series direction?
There's an old saying "You can't be a little bit pregnant."

Either you go sports or you go home! You decide ... If you try to do a little of both you want be happy. Choose a path and follow it.

If you want the 20's get a set of tein cs coils and call it a day.
Old 01-16-09, 07:19 PM
jriggs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after a lot of thinking and a good dinner with company bought drinks lol

i'm sorry to say this but if you want a to take corners like the 3 then buy one, but if you want a big four door that handles like a german sedan buy a 5. we have to spend a little money to get the handling of a standard 3 (which it sounds like your ready to do) but your car is still not really going to be close. we need to compare the GS to the 5 series not the 3 so we are comparable in size. when i had flex coils, toms/trd sways, toms link, etc my gs was just like my old 5 sport without the steering feel. the 03 m5 i just picked up the car can't touch, i'd almost challenge any suspension'ed gs to try to hold the corers that car can, it's just not fare lol i still love the way the gs drives around town but i'm leaning towards the germans and thinking very strongly about saying good by to the gs
Old 01-16-09, 09:03 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

I'm with you on the German sedan temptation...if it wasn't for their reliability, expensive parts, and fkd engineering so it impossible to work on your own car, I would buy one. If I was rich and didn't have to worry about and of those things, my GS would get the boot from a new M3.

That aside, I used the 3 series as an aiming point. I certainly don't plan to adjust steering geometry, fine tune stuff, replace parts multiple times, etc. But the grippy sports car feel is what I want.

So yeah, the 20's weren't the best move in that direction, but a good deal and 4" rear lips pushed me over the edge. Scott's right--I'm doing coils and calling it a day.

So--for a even fender gap front and back on a 400 (I don't like the back to look lower in the interest of keeping the car level), I'm kicking around Tanabe NF210s, Tein H-techs, or Eibach Pros. Slightly less of a drop then the Daizens but enough where 20"ers won't look wierd. Not sure what to do here yet. I'm very picky. Any advice is appreciated!!
Old 01-17-09, 07:32 PM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

You're still going to have considerable wheel gap with those spring choices. You should look into DF210 or S-Tech springs.