Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-16, 10:31 AM
ponteley
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by GiantsFan
Did it in my driveway... didn't need to drop the suspension. just loosened all the brackets / bolts and slid the bar out.
Which brackets/bolts? The only bolts I could easily remove - links. Sway bar bracket bolts facing up and unreachable behind metal parts.
Maybe 2011 and UP different design......?
Also it's AWD, if it makes any difference.
Anyone done 2011+, AWD ??

Last edited by ponteley; 11-01-16 at 11:02 AM.
Old 11-27-16, 04:56 AM
zachk86
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CUSCO vs F-SPort

Anybody have any thoughts on the CUSCO rear sway bar for the IS vs. the F-Sport?
Old 12-06-16, 01:19 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Does anyone know if the 2ISX50 F-Sport Sway Bars suffer from the same bushing noise issues that the 3GS folks had been dealing with? It became such a problem that Lexus had to release a TSIB to provide different sized sway bar bushings in order to fix the problem.

Originally Posted by Sewell
Yes, there are applications for both RWD and AWD versions. There's only bushing option (PTR02-30100) so I'm assuming the bars are the same diameter, but its going to be in the brackets that the bushing may potentially be the issue. The front sway bar brackets are different. I have no idea if AWD GS owners have had the same thumping issue as RWD GS owners. I just don't know.

By the picture below, one can easily assess the height difference in the F-Sport sway bar bushing. It's approximately a 2mm difference in height between the two.

The newly designed bushings have a "ZD" stamp whereas the old (original) design shows an "AB".

Darrel
Old 12-06-16, 02:07 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,828 Likes on 1,290 Posts

^^^^I have not heard of this. My F-Sport rear bar has been on my ISF for close to 8 years now. No Noise, No Problems.

Lou

Last edited by flowrider; 12-08-16 at 09:23 PM.
Old 12-08-16, 05:02 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I had various noise issues with the front F-Sport bar in my IS over the years. I replaced the bushings twice and then even tried the factory IS F bushings with the F-Sport bar before switching to the factory IS F front bar (still running the F-Sport rear).

That said, the IS did not have a TSB released for it and it does not use the same bushings as the GS. The IS part number is PTR02-53083.

Jeff
Old 12-19-16, 07:31 PM
JohnMorgan
Lead Lap

Received 61 Likes on 41 Posts

Just installed mine. I'm not entirely sure but I might have had the updated front (if there was one) since I've seen some fronts have tabs for the AFS sensor and mine didn't have it. Anyways. Rear went on easy, and the front I had to actually swap the sway bar links from each side so they would work with the bar. I have to say, the bars paired with the chassis brace makes a night and day difference.
Old 04-04-17, 06:55 PM
XSV
Instructor

Received 61 Likes on 55 Posts

Just installed both front and rear F Sport sway bars on my 2008 IS 250. Took me about 3 hours total, mainly due to the front was a PIA because of the engine cover removal and reinstallation. Plus, I installed the bushings on the front sway bar the wrong way the first time. Had some trouble with my left rear sway bar end link as well, it kept spinning when I was removing and placing the nut back on. No impressions yet because I have not driven around much. The only thing that surprised me was that the front sway bar was so much thicker than the rear (both OEM and F Sport). Installation was straight forward with the included directions.

For those who have my year and model, tools you'll need:
-ratchet that has a release button so that the ratchet doesn't hit you in the face when it dislocates from the socket extender
-17 mm socket for the front and rear sway bar end link nuts
-14 mm socket for the front sway bar brackets bolts (4 total)
-10 mm socket (or phillips screwdriver) to remove the screws holding the front engine cover and the front level sensor (if you have AFS)
-12mm socket for the rear sway bar bracket bolts (4 total)
-breaker bar to break the end link nuts loose
-torque wrench
-safety glasses
-jack stands
-jack
-maybe needle nose vice grips for the the end links if they start spinning while you're taking off or putting on the nut

Last edited by XSV; 04-04-17 at 07:05 PM.
Old 04-06-17, 10:25 PM
XSV
Instructor

I have noticed a significant reduction in body roll with the front and rear F Sport sway bars compared to stock. There is some slight body roll; however, I find myself not sliding around in my seat when I take sharp turns with moderate speeds. Can't believe I've gone so long without upgrading the sway bars. Definitely worth the money.
Old 04-08-17, 06:05 PM
Remch
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ponteley
Which brackets/bolts? The only bolts I could easily remove - links. Sway bar bracket bolts facing up and unreachable behind metal parts.
Maybe 2011 and UP different design......?
Also it's AWD, if it makes any difference.
Anyone done 2011+, AWD ??
I'm thinking of doing it on my is350 awd 2011. You did it already or not yet?
I heard it was a pain in the *ss to do the front on AWD becasue we need to lift the engine/tranny to swap the front
Old 04-12-17, 08:34 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Just sharing the DIY F Sport Sway Bar instruction manual for ISx50 AWD models 2006+
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AWD Sway 1.pdf (1.65 MB, 247 views)
AWD Sway 2.pdf (1.68 MB, 178 views)
AWD Sway 3.pdf (2.09 MB, 198 views)
AWD Sway 4.pdf (1.86 MB, 181 views)
AWD Sway 5.pdf (1.85 MB, 176 views)
AWD Sway 6.pdf (1.66 MB, 148 views)
The following users liked this post:
Remch (04-13-17)
Old 04-13-17, 05:14 PM
Remch
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Aspect
Just sharing the DIY F Sport Sway Bar instruction manual for ISx50 AWD models 2006+
Thanks a lot ASPECT !
Old 04-13-17, 05:17 PM
Remch
Driver School Candidate

Anyone here bought the MEGAN rear sway bar? 19mm and way more cheaper, but I guess quality is not there.
can be found on ebay for $169 shipped
Old 04-13-17, 07:16 PM
XSV
Instructor

Originally Posted by Remch
Anyone here bought the MEGAN rear sway bar? 19mm and way more cheaper, but I guess quality is not there.
can be found on ebay for $169 shipped
Ken167 did. Here's his thread
Old 04-14-17, 05:55 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Just got the F+R F Sport bars installed on my car this afternoon. Had a local guy help me out and ended up swapping in new end links F+R because the old ones were on their last legs. The front seemed to be the biggest PITA given that you have to lower the subframe and remove the end links and steering rack connectors to wiggle out the bar.

Driving impressions were pretty amazing. I already had my Michelin PSSs put on the car so it was already very response when turning but with the sway bars the precision of everything has ramped up. The car feels 100% more settled from steering inputs without all of that horrendous body roll from before. It feels less dramatic than previous but is way more fun.

On a side note, does anyone know the % difference the front sway bar makes on the AWD models? I saw a % increase chart on the first couple pages of this thread but for the AWD it listed about a 40-50% increase in the rear but nothing for the front. I highly doubt the front sway bar is the same and is just painted blue. Maybe because the earlier packages didn't have the front sway bar for the AWD model?
The following users liked this post:
Remch (04-14-17)
Old 04-18-17, 05:52 AM
DmcL325i
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are these aftermarket lexus bars everyones talking about here or are they the same bars used on the F Sport models?

Quick Reply: Official F-sport Sway Bar Thread!