Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Rear Stabalizer bar; Maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-08, 05:18 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Received 88 Likes on 80 Posts
Question Rear Stabalizer bar; Maybe?

Ok, I'm doing something a little unorthodox here and well, I'll be having some effects from doing so.

I'm planning on cutting out the rear deck to create a custom box for my woofers. Now I did this before to slap a dozen woofers in a Honda and had the problem of the body twisting and creaking when I did any maneuvers (didnt think such a small amount of THIN metal would cause so much problems). Now of course they make everything and anything for Honda's, so solving the problem was easy. In THAT case, it was as simple as getting a stabilizer bar that bolted to the upper seatbelt mounts on the pillars of each side that made the biggest difference (amongst a few other mods). Now what can be recommended for the GS to help it from twisting? or would the GS hold its own? I would think the rear strut tower would work, but unfortunately there isnt going to be a way to put one there since the box is there...

any suggestions? Or will I just have to fabricate my own bar (with some nice woofer rings attached in between )and weld it to the side of each pillar?
Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 10-29-08 at 05:28 AM.
Old 10-29-08, 09:36 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

how many subs you putting in this? this just sounds sooooooooooo ghetto to me so far! especially after all the repainting and hard work you've done to the exterior to go and "ruin" the interior! not hating just my free opinion
Old 10-29-08, 09:58 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

well its totally hating.. but i'm only dont 2 subs in a PROPER way. and its been done before and done CLEAN and BY NO MEANS ghetto! and will not be ruining anything except removing the middle of the rear deck. Will be wrapped in leather and actually look better than whats there factory. This is the best way to eliminate trunk rattle more room in trunk and be much more different than what every "joe" does to their trunk. and yes I take offense to the ghetto remark! ghetto is getting wood from a trash bin, putting nails in it and slapping a flea market sub in there with out doing measurements for proper air space. My system alone cost $8000 (if bought retail) custom fabrication would easily run $3000 (if I werent doing it)... so yea, SOOOOOOOOOO far from ghetto!
Old 10-29-08, 10:43 AM
LexFather

DaveGS4, well VEritek's new car has a customer sub enclosure where the TOms STB goes through the see thru enclosure behind the speaker..

Its ridiculous. Can someone post a pic?
Old 10-29-08, 11:05 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
DaveGS4, well VEritek's new car has a customer sub enclosure where the TOms STB goes through the see thru enclosure behind the speaker..

thats something I was thinking about (probably over thought) but, thought of a few things that it would cause... however I would like to see how it was done on his car to see if they were able to solve what I foresee...

so Veritk huh? I'll do some searching...
Old 10-29-08, 02:34 PM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Jokster
well its totally hating.. but i'm only dont 2 subs in a PROPER way. and its been done before and done CLEAN and BY NO MEANS ghetto! and will not be ruining anything except removing the middle of the rear deck. Will be wrapped in leather and actually look better than whats there factory. This is the best way to eliminate trunk rattle more room in trunk and be much more different than what every "joe" does to their trunk. and yes I take offense to the ghetto remark! ghetto is getting wood from a trash bin, putting nails in it and slapping a flea market sub in there with out doing measurements for proper air space. My system alone cost $8000 (if bought retail) custom fabrication would easily run $3000 (if I werent doing it)... so yea, SOOOOOOOOOO far from ghetto!
and what system is it? my diamond audio component sets were like 700-800 a set so 1600 just for the components in my es300! i know about quality, ty though. my gs430 will have my diamond d6's installed shortly (i cheaped out on the gs wasnt gonna spend that much on components this time around but dont get me wrong the d6's are expensive and great quality too)
Old 10-29-08, 09:11 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

I was thinking the same thing, but Dave took his pic link off
Old 10-30-08, 12:44 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by sakataj
and what system is it? my diamond audio component sets were like 700-800 a set so 1600 just for the components in my es300! i know about quality, ty though. my gs430 will have my diamond d6's installed shortly (i cheaped out on the gs wasnt gonna spend that much on components this time around but dont get me wrong the d6's are expensive and great quality too)
Well, I'll admit that what I got IS NOT the best and is overpriced (retail) however, I got everything wholesale. and I too skimped on the components.

2-JL Audio 13w7's (retail $800-$1000 each)
2-JL Audio 1000/1 (retail $700-$1000 each)
1-JL Audio 450/1 (retail $500-$600)
2 sets-6.5 Focal Polyglass V2 components (retail $500 each)
2-Kinetic 1800amp batteries (retail $240 each)
Pioneer D3 (retail $900-$1500) with all bells and whistles (waste of money, I'm dumping it for something else)

I think thats it, plus all the nickel and dimeing with 0 awg all over the place... and Diamond Audio IS kick ***! so yea, that all adds up.

Last edited by Mr Jokster; 10-30-08 at 04:55 AM.
Old 10-30-08, 05:37 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Originally Posted by GS FONZy
I was thinking the same thing, but Dave took his pic link off
It's there, you just need to dig through our site. I really should just link directly to the gallery from my profile since the rest of the site is so outdated. Or just search for the threads where I posted pics!

Here are a couple:

Buildup
http://www.somniplex.com/gallery/v/a...done-Sept2004/

The bar I had was the Tom's, but there are several other brands out there.

also - old version with smaller sub and amp
Old 10-30-08, 06:03 AM
Mr Jokster
Lexus Test Driver

clean install. But I guess he wasnt too concerned with air leaks as I am. but I guess thats where caulking/silicone would come in hand.
Old 10-30-08, 07:28 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,297 Posts

Yeah, it was well sealed against the border. I don't have any final pics of what it looked like but it's not just open and sliding around