Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Tell me which pads to buy

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-08, 07:49 PM
subzero32
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tell me which pads to buy

First I did search but didn't find anything that usefull. I want to buy some pads from tirerack due to very quick shipping and the fact I'll be ordering a set of front stock replacement Brembo rotors. Please tell me which set of front pads are the ones to get.

http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...0&autoModClar=

Thanks.
Old 10-28-08, 08:07 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

choose from the 3 brands of ceramic pads they offer. I have ceramics on my rears and will be putting them on my front soon, they throw very little dust and are super super quiet.

also, you get what you pay for, so hawk etc. might be 50 bucks vs. satisfied pro at 25 but they will be higher quality stuff.
Old 10-28-08, 08:35 PM
passnu2
Lexus Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I had the EBC RedStuff brake pads and they where good. Not sure if they sell them at Tire Rack or not but I think it was ~90 for the fronts and ~59$ for the rears?? Just google search EBC Brake Pads.
Old 11-01-08, 06:46 AM
subzero32
Driver

Thanks for the input guys
Old 11-01-08, 04:55 PM
RON430
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wasn't that thrilled with the EBC pads. Couldn't tell any difference in stopping and they were both dusty and noisy (although not too objectionable on the noise). I am running the Akebono ProAct Ceramic on both my 2k1 GS4 and my wife's 2k3 GS3. Not much difference in stopping power from stock (which is about what you would expect for just pad and or stock rotor size replacement and not a bad thing, stock brakes aren't super duper but OK) but they are very low dust and have never had any noise problems with them just like the Tire Rack site says. Seems like the stock pads are more prone to fade when they heat up than the Akebono. I also had Lexus do a brake job on my car and they used the Lexus pads which I will never do again. The little metal on the stock pads rusted terribly and would run with wheel cleaner for a mess. In that respect, the Akebono seems to be a much better solution.
Old 11-01-08, 06:21 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Akebono ProACT over stock any day of the week. Indeed they fade less than OEM pads. I'm running LS400 calipers right now and the OEM pad that comes with it SUCKS. Well they dont but they fade more than I want them to. I'll be switching them out for some racing compound pads
Old 11-01-08, 06:29 PM
BossGS4
Lead Lap

I'm running Akebono Street Performance pads in stock calipers in the front and rear ... no complaints.

They perform better than stock and do not EAT the rotors. Low dusting is a plus too !

DaveC
Old 11-04-08, 01:50 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Totally happy with Hawk HPS. Very low dust, eats heat.
Old 11-15-08, 10:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I am about to change out my front pads on my GS430 as I can tell from noise and feel they need replacing soon. It seems some are highly recommending these Akebono ProACT pads. I have stock rotors and calipers and want a good stopping, long lasting, quiet, low dust pad. Lasting and stopping better then OEM would be a plus especially if they are cheaper. I don't want to spend too much $50-$60 or less and want the best pad for the buck. What do you guys recommend or have had good experience with? Should I go OEM or aftermarket? I am going to attempt to change the pads myself and save some money and gain some experience, I am hoping it is going to go smoothly
Old 11-15-08, 10:46 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Changing the pad is very easy.

I'd go with the Proact over OEM. I had ProActs on my car when I was still using the OEM calipers. One thing for sure, they dust a lot less than OEM pads. The dust itself was a light gray color instead of the dark brown that we're used to.
Old 11-16-08, 09:01 AM
arpham
Lead Lap

Perfect "thats what she said" thread
Old 11-16-08, 10:46 AM
jspecdan
Lexus Test Driver

I haven't tried our own ProACT pads (I work for Akebono as an enjimaneer)

I hated the squealing of whatever pads I had on before (previous owner) during cold starts. Once the pads got warmed off it was OK, but still. FYI they were semi-metallic, so there ya go. Dust was not a problem.

Now, with Hawk HPS, the squealing turned into moaning/ grunting (that's the technical term believe it or not ) I hear awful sounds at low speeds while riding the brakes. It's not like I want to ride the brakes but I'm an engineer and wanted to see what the characteristics were like. Sounds like a barge is getting ready to move. Anyway, I won't bore you with anymore.

Last edited by jspecdan; 11-18-08 at 09:01 PM.
Old 11-16-08, 12:11 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

I looked up some of the Akebono ProAct 619 prices and they were a little pricey and a little higher then I wanted to pay, most were around $75 shipped, best deal I found so far was Place for Brakes that had them for $62 and free shipping.
Am I still going to need that Lexus kit some people were talking about if I get the Akebonos to install my pads?

I saw some other brands like PBR for $42, Satisfied Pro ceramic for $42, ATE Prem One $51, anybody have any experience with these and is it really worth paying the extra for the Akebono ProAct, I don't know much or pay attention much to brake pads? The Satisfied Pro ceramic seemed got decent reviews from a couple places and saving 20 or 30 bucks would be nice. A don't track my car or brake hard often or drive aggressive but I do want a good brake pad that performs well, lasts, is quit, and does not dust much. If Akebono ProAct are a good deal superior to the others in all departments then I will spend the extra but if they stop just a little better then I would rather save the money to put to other things.
Old 11-16-08, 08:52 PM
shftup
Intermediate

where do most buy their Akebono ProAct ceramic pads?

I live in Canada, and right now tirerack has the best deal shipped to Canada. Do CL member get a discount from tirerack?

thanks
Old 11-19-08, 05:14 PM
shftup
Intermediate

updates on pricing and discounts?

Quick Reply: Tell me which pads to buy