Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone with ISF brakes on?

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-09, 08:59 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Received 30 Likes on 14 Posts

Ok, so thanks to 2 of our best vendors, Carson Toyota (www.L-Tunedparts.com), Sewell Lexus (www.sewellpartsonline.com), and a few Club Lexus members I can now verify "bolt-on" fitment of the IS-F BBK onto the ISx50. There are, however, some details that need to be known:

1) As previously mentioned, the front hubs from the IS-F are needed for this to work. I've received confirmation from Sewell that they are including the front two IS-F hubs in the IS-F Brembo BBK they're offering, and have changed the product listing to reflect that. That's an INCREDIBLE offer, considering that the MSRP for the front pair of hubs is $630.58. Again, just an outstanding offer - kudos to Darrel and the rest of the folks at Sewell.

2) Because you must use the hubs from the IS-F (which are 1/2" wider each), the front track of your car will be widened by one inch, effectively changing your vehicle's offset on the front axle. This is big news for those of you running aggressive offsets in the front. For example - if you're running a +36 wheel in the front, installing the IS-F Brembo's will make your front wheels fit like a +23 wheel. Again, caveat emptor.

A few notes about the hubs:
The hubs (and the ABS speed sensors that are installed in the center) are SIDE SPECIFIC, marked with an individual part number and an 'R' or an 'L' to avoid installing them in reverse. They are dimensionally identical, so be careful when installing them. If you install the hubs or sensors in reverse, your vehicle's ABS computer will trigger a DTC P0500 (speed signal malfunction) as soon as you reach 50 mph, and you'll get a 'check VSC' warning indicator on your dashboard. Once you have this light you must go to the dealer to have them reset the DTC.

To my knowledge, the AWD has not been tested for fitment. I can see the AWD front hubs carry a different part number (and a slightly lower price), but I have no direct knowledge if you can install the IS-F hub onto an AWD 2IS. Caveat emptor.

If anyone has any question on this don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again to Luis, Steve, and Caesar at Carson Toyota; Darrel Diller at Sewell Lexus, and CL members Joe Z, Lance (lobuxracer), and Ferry (B_390_LU).

Javier

Last edited by javyLSU; 04-14-11 at 08:26 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 01-15-09, 02:15 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by VF84
c&d on brake fade, various bbks

anyway, clamping for is probably gonna be all very similar for the calipers.. probably gonna need to upgrade the master cylinder to push more fluids thru for higher pressure in the hydraulics. bbk address issues of deflection and heat dissipation/resistance.. fade resistance..

oh, and it looks nice
Here's another great article with an even better quote for all those guys who think their chipped 335 is "better" than an M3:
The BMW 335i isn’t as overtly sporting as the others (Corvette, Porsche 911, Nismo Z), but it has a unique system called brake-fade compensation that automatically increases hydraulic pressure as the brakes get hot. The BMW’s brakes did very well; we performed seven complete test cycles until a brake-warning light flashed, encouraging us to quit. Over that time, the pedal travel increased by 1.8 inches, and the force required to do those 0.50-g stops increased by about 30 percent. Unfortunately, we couldn’t quantify the benefit of the brake-fade compensation because we couldn’t turn off the system.
When you read the article, it is pretty obvious the 335 isn't even in the same league, and no doubt, the M3 will suffer FAR less fade than the 335 over the same use pattern.

Too bad they didn't test the IS-F. I really marveled at how well the F's brakes stood up to the infield course at Atlanta Motor Speedway during the Taste of Lexus event.
Old 01-15-09, 03:06 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,849 Likes on 2,334 Posts

Originally Posted by javyLSU
...A few notes about the hubs:
The hubs (and the ABS speed sensors that are installed in the center) are SIDE SPECIFIC, marked with an individual part number and an 'R' or an 'L' to avoid installing them in reverse. They are dimensionally identical, so be careful when installing them. If you install the hubs or sensors in reverse, your vehicle's ABS computer will trigger a DTC P0500 (speed signal malfunction) as soon as you reach 50 mph, and you'll get a 'check VSC' warning indicator on your dashboard. Once you have this light you must go to the dealer to have them reset the DTC...

...If anyone has any question on this don't hesitate to ask. Thanks again to Luis, Steve, and Caesar at Carson Toyota; Darrel Diller at Sewell Lexus, and CL members Joe Z, Lance (lobuxracer), and Ferry (B_390_LU).

Javier
The sensors are really smart - they know if you are going forward or backward. Here's why the hubs have to be installed correctly:
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with ISF brakes on?-is-wheel-speed-sensor.gif  
Old 01-15-09, 03:13 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

noob question...we need anything special for the rears or is that part direct bolt on?
Old 01-15-09, 03:42 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettoaww
noob question...we need anything special for the rears or is that part direct bolt on?
So far it sounds & looks to be a direct bolt on for the Rears...
(I should disclose Javy did not do a rear test fit)

The Fronts also will be a direct bolt on as well, as long as you swap the front ISx50 hubs to the IS-F hubs..
NOW, if your running an agressive offset wheel on your ISx50, the Front IS F hub will add an extra 1/2 inch width to each side. Which will most likely lead to front fender fitment problems with your agressive wheel.

Joe Z

Last edited by Joe Z; 01-15-09 at 03:49 PM.
Old 01-15-09, 04:00 PM
javyLSU
2IS OG

Originally Posted by superYaris
I am putting ISF brakes on and just wondering if anyone has these on? I noticed the hubs are different so just wondering if anyone who has done this mod. thanks in advance
Originally Posted by Joe Z

The Fronts also will be a direct bolt on as well, as long as you swap the front ISx50 hubs to the IS-F hubs..
NOW, if your running an agressive offset wheel on your ISx50, the Front IS F hub will add an extra 1/2 inch width to each side. Which will most likely lead to front fender fitment problems with your agressive wheel.

Joe Z
I didn't test fit the rears because those were already confirmed as "bolt-on" and successfully installed by 2 CL members. It is a direct fitment with no need to swap the hubs.

Javier
Old 01-15-09, 04:04 PM
ghettoaww
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I didn't test fit the rears because those were already confirmed as "bolt-on" and successfully installed by 2 CL members. It is a direct fitment with no need to swap the hubs.

Javier
Thanks Javy and JoeZ for the pics and clarification.
Old 01-18-09, 08:11 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ghettoaww
Thanks Javy and JoeZ for the pics and clarification.
Don't forget, the hubs add to your offset.
Originally Posted by Joe Z

Joe Z
Read what joe-z wrote ^^^
Old 01-18-09, 09:44 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Question:

Since ISF wheels does not fit on IS350 due to the caliper, does that mean by switching to ISF hubs the extra depth of the hub will make the ISF wheels fit on stock calipers?
Old 01-18-09, 10:06 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

It stands to reason that it would - depending on how much clearance is needed. I'm sure Joe Z can answer this question, as he test-fitted those wheels...

Javier
Old 01-18-09, 10:19 AM
B_390_LU
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile IS-F Brake setup on my IS250

Hello all,

I'm just posting some low-quality pics of the IS-F Brake setup on my car, to confirm that this can be done properly. SuperYaris was the 1st one I know to have done this but he hasn't been around lately. He even managed to fit the stock 18" wheels with the brake setup (no idea how he did it).

Javy : How are u, bro!
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with ISF brakes on?-img_0375-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-18-09, 10:21 AM
B_390_LU
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Smile

Here's the rear one.
Attached Thumbnails Anyone with ISF brakes on?-img_0378-medium-.jpg  
Old 01-18-09, 10:40 AM
javyLSU
2IS OG

It's about time you starting sharing your setup, Ferry! Looks great!

Javier
Old 01-18-09, 11:15 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Answer:

Its a good theory... but that combination of parts will not work...

Basically, you can NOT use an IS-F Hub with IS350 stock calipers and rotors.
These parts are not interchangeable.

If you were to mount the 350 rotor onto an IS-F hub (on an IS350), it would not line up with the 350 caliper at all.

The IS-F wheels will work on an IS350 with a proper spacer setup or with the minimum of a Front IS-F Brake & hub conversion.

Joe Z

It stands to reason that it would - depending on how much clearance is needed. I'm sure Joe Z can answer this question, as he test-fitted those wheels...

Javier

Originally Posted by mikez
Question:

Since ISF wheels does not fit on IS350 due to the caliper, does that mean by switching to ISF hubs the extra depth of the hub will make the ISF wheels fit on stock calipers?
Old 01-18-09, 11:28 AM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Lightbulb

Welcome and Thanks for posting the pics...

Do you have an full side profile shots with the car on the ground?

Its possible that "SuperYaris" might have slightly modified the front IS-F caliper to accept the 18" split 5 spoke wheel. There is no way for it to just bolt right over the F caliper, as I tried diligently.

Joe Z

Originally Posted by B_390_LU
Hello all,

I'm just posting some low-quality pics of the IS-F Brake setup on my car, to confirm that this can be done properly. SuperYaris was the 1st one I know to have done this but he hasn't been around lately. He even managed to fit the stock 18" wheels with the brake setup (no idea how he did it).

Quick Reply: Anyone with ISF brakes on?