Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Putting on Springs = $750!!!???

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-08, 04:28 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Putting on Springs = $750!!!???

So I bought some DF210s and then called a few places that said they do not install them. One said they only install them if you buy them from them. Lexus told me $750! What the deuce! How could it be so damn expensive? I just put on some 20" lowenhart LD1s and the gap is not too bad surprisingly, but since I have the springs id like to put them on. Is this a fairly simple DIY project (followed up by an alignment job from a pro) or how complex is it? Im guessing its not easy given the responses ive had. Maybe im calling the wrong places? I had a hard enough time getting a place like tire barn or discount tire to even swap the tires for me (didnt have the time to put them on myself and just wanted them on ASAP!)...Discount tire didnt mind, but several others said they wouldnt put non oem tires/rims on! What a nightmare, thought this was cheap, easy, straightforward stuff - guess not!

Ross
Old 10-16-08, 05:06 PM
Frankdorn
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ross, I was thinking the same you are now when I first wanted to put a set of Eibachs in a car. Don't panic.

Most places want to mark up the part and sell the labor on top, not to mention don't want the liability of some idiot insisting a suspension part will fit and it doesn't and everything comes apart at 75 mph. That's understandable--not everyone has their head on straight.

Anyway, if you're machanically inclined, it should be pretty straight-forward. By mechanically inclined, I mean somewhere between feeling slightly intimidated about pulling a tranny, but darn confident about a brake job. If you're there, you'll be fine. Just go to your neighborhood rental center and pick up some coil spring compressors. Basic tools will take you the rest of the way (socket set, etc.). Just pull your wheel off and start lookin around--you'll see what's up. And after you do the first wheel, you'll be like "wow...that's it?". Just remember to schedule an alignment for the next day.
Old 10-16-08, 05:25 PM
UpstateLex
Lexus Test Driver

Thats my position as well, in crappy upstate ny there is no competition when it comes to customization shops. I went in got a quote for springs & shocks installed dude told me $1,100 dollars. I said what?! For that price I'd spend a little more and get coilovers wtf
Old 10-16-08, 05:37 PM
4play4dr
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i wouldnt pay any shop more than 100 bucks to do this work..its so easy..even a caveman can do it
Old 10-16-08, 05:41 PM
phillygs3

Originally Posted by 4play4dr
i wouldnt pay any shop more than 100 bucks to do this work..its so easy..even a caveman can do it

LMAO ................
Old 10-16-08, 05:45 PM
kingkirby
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the DIY on it and tried it. fail! Broke the ratchet and gave up. Prolly cuz im a noob. The first bolt you have to remove is practically welded on. quotes from shops around here are around 300 dollars.
Old 10-16-08, 06:07 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

Well I got a buddy managing a jiffy lube and he called a guy and said like 250 I think so ill do that plus the alignment for 75 I think it was... Still sucks to have to pay for more money for labor than anything...but am an IT guy, anytime I try a DIY I say to myself "this is why im in IT"...
Old 10-16-08, 06:09 PM
SHiZNiLTi
Pole Position

Here is a post I made a while back...

"I recently ordered my Tanabe DF210 Lowering Kit and I'm now going around town getting quotes for the spring install and the alignment...

So far I've hit up (6) different shops and to my surprise they have all said it will take about 6 hours to do just the springs. This seems like way too much time for this install.

I think the ALLDATA software program that most shops use to make quotes is way off on the time that this spring install takes.

My (6) quotes for the spring install and alignment range from $380-$628."

Here's the best price I got on Labor of spring install and alignment...

Here's a diagram of the Lexus GS300 suspension...

Here's the invoice for my DF210 springs...
Old 10-16-08, 07:14 PM
Spyder78
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

an hour to remove each shock is crazy at most with air tools its a 2 hour job. Trust me I've done it and seen my boy's car get done in a shop they were charging him 250 to put on coilovers. Thats in Brooklyn NY.
Old 10-16-08, 07:18 PM
jcat_350
Lexus Champion

did cavemen have chopsaws to hack their df's to pieces?
Old 10-16-08, 07:26 PM
GS FONZy
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyder78
an hour to remove each shock is crazy at most with air tools its a 2 hour job. Trust me I've done it and seen my boy's car get done in a shop they were charging him 250 to put on coilovers. Thats in Brooklyn NY.
Coilovers are a lot easier to install than springs. I installed my coilover in about an hour.

$300 is the going rate in most shops, if you can get it for lower, you should jump on it.
Old 10-16-08, 07:30 PM
Kaydee
Hacked CL to become a Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 10-16-08, 07:45 PM
SLAMDGS4
Pole Position

I've done mine twice already..once to install df's and the other to install my kyb struts..fairly easy but get an extra pair of hands..i don't own a breaker bar so i use a two foot piece of pipe to help loosen up bolts..ghetto but works
Old 10-16-08, 08:20 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Take your joint over to Tire Barn off 86th in Castleton, they'll charge you $350 tops.
Old 10-16-08, 09:08 PM
rhwimmers
Pole Position

I called the TB on michigan and 86th area and they wont do it...They wouldnt even put on my damn 20" lowenharts! You in the indy area previously or your avatar outdated (Location:VA)...Always lookin for some lexus folks around here

Quick Reply: Putting on Springs = $750!!!???