Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-08, 04:59 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Brakes.

Last Saturday I changed my rear brake pads(was pretty amazed how small they are) due to started squeaking noise, I thought old ones were already worn but to my surprise they were almost brand new, well since I bought new ones and as I could see it was super easy to change them(never seen anything like that before ) I decided to change them anyway. After I changed my rear brake pads, I didn't notice any difference at first but now when I'm driving with open windows I can hear that there's somewhat loud(not really loud but noticeable) ticking noise coming from rear right wheel. Ticking noise only stops when I'm pressing on brakes. It's pretty suck to drive Lexus with this noise, just ugly. Well does anybody know what can cause this? I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what happens, probably try to swap old pads back since they're almost brand new anyway.
So, any ideas?

Thanks.
Old 10-07-08, 05:15 PM
Deception
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check your shims or as what the dealer call it the fix kit or something like that. same problem i had. or it could be your axles making the clicking noise...
Old 10-07-08, 05:33 PM
chuckb
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yeah-take them back apart and make sure the clip's on right and the shim kit is on right.
Old 10-07-08, 05:57 PM
swat1727
Instructor

Received 53 Likes on 36 Posts

check ur rotors, maybe they are bad, and they will make that noise even with new brake pads
Old 10-07-08, 07:05 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

What's shim kit anyway?
Old 10-07-08, 09:10 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadim540i
Last Saturday I changed my rear brake pads(was pretty amazed how small they are) due to started squeaking noise, I thought old ones were already worn but to my surprise they were almost brand new, well since I bought new ones and as I could see it was super easy to change them(never seen anything like that before ) I decided to change them anyway. After I changed my rear brake pads, I didn't notice any difference at first but now when I'm driving with open windows I can hear that there's somewhat loud(not really loud but noticeable) ticking noise coming from rear right wheel. Ticking noise only stops when I'm pressing on brakes. It's pretty suck to drive Lexus with this noise, just ugly. Well does anybody know what can cause this? I'll take it apart tomorrow and see what happens, probably try to swap old pads back since they're almost brand new anyway.
So, any ideas?

Thanks.

I have that EXACT issue going on right now. Even down to the same wheel! I did not change my brakes though - just installed new wheels and tires. I picked up a brand new set of rear rotors today an the issue got worse. While test driving it slow I switched to reverse and herd a metal snap. The pad springs on that wheels caliper popped loose. So I'm off to Lexus tomorrow to get the "Fix" or "Fit' or whatever its called kit.

Let us know if and how you get this issue corrected.

What's shim kit anyway?
The metal plates that sit on the backing plate of the brake pad. They shim (insulate) the brake pad plate from the actual caliper pot. Most aftermarket pads only have on shim and sometimes its permanently connected to the brake pads.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes.-rear-brake.gif  
Old 10-07-08, 11:55 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Debonair
I have that EXACT issue going on right now. Even down to the same wheel! I did not change my brakes though - just installed new wheels and tires. I picked up a brand new set of rear rotors today an the issue got worse. While test driving it slow I switched to reverse and herd a metal snap. The pad springs on that wheels caliper popped loose. So I'm off to Lexus tomorrow to get the "Fix" or "Fit' or whatever its called kit.

Let us know if and how you get this issue corrected.

The metal plates that sit on the backing plate of the brake pad. They shim (insulate) the brake pad plate from the actual caliper pot. Most aftermarket pads only have on shim and sometimes its permanently connected to the brake pads.
Thanks, very helpful post. I'll take it apart today and update.
Old 10-08-08, 04:05 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Default Update

When I was changing my brake pads, I didn't really fixed that fix kit(read I installed them incorrectly) so I lost both to them. I went to dealer, 3 mins away from my house, bought "fix kit" for $20, installed them in correct way and now problem solved

So by looking at picture below, did I installed them right way this time? I hope I did.

Old 10-08-08, 08:38 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

What is this "fix" kit? I am about to change my brake pads myself after a get some brake pads. I am hoping it will be a relatively easy thing to do and not too nerveracking. It looks fairly easy from some of the pictures I have seen but things always look easy and then too difficult real quick when working on cars.
Old 10-08-08, 09:24 PM
Debonair
iModerate

When I was changing my brake pads, I didn't really fixed that fix kit(read I installed them incorrectly) so I lost both to them. I went to dealer, 3 mins away from my house, bought "fix kit" for $20, installed them in correct way and now problem solved

So by looking at picture below, did I installed them right way this time? I hope I did.

Are you missing the "M" spring (See pic below)? Also the pad guide pin should be pointing in toward the car not out.

Originally Posted by UDel
What is this "fix" kit? I am about to change my brake pads myself after a get some brake pads. I am hoping it will be a relatively easy thing to do and not too nerveracking. It looks fairly easy from some of the pictures I have seen but things always look easy and then too difficult real quick when working on cars.
The Fitting Kit contains the parts below. The brakes are easy just pay attention to how they are installed before you take them apart and then put them back together the same way.
Old 10-09-08, 01:00 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

Hmm when I took it apart first time, there wasn't those m springs. What do they do?
Old 10-09-08, 06:20 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Hmm when I took it apart first time, there wasn't those m springs. What do they do?
They push the pads away from the rotor when the brakes are not being applied. This how mine were installed when i got my car. This is how installed them yesterday.

The darker green is under the larger clip.
Attached Thumbnails Brakes.-mclip.jpg  
Old 10-09-08, 08:20 AM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

They push the pads away from the rotor when the brakes are not being applied. This how mine were installed when i got my car. This is how installed them yesterday.

The darker green is under the larger clip.
Can I drive without them?
Old 10-09-08, 09:14 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Can I drive without them?
I would think so although you might get excessive noise and possibly extra wear to pads. I have never tried it so I can be 100% on it. Try at your own risk.
Old 10-09-08, 05:07 PM
Vadim540i
Lexus Test Driver

I would think so although you might get excessive noise and possibly extra wear to pads. I have never tried it so I can be 100% on it. Try at your own risk.
The thing is I bought the car in April and was driving it half year without those M springs without any issues. I mean I can buy those springs and install but if it will be fine without them I just don't want to remove wheels, jack up the car etc for such small part that won't do anything.

Quick Reply: Brakes.