Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

A qustion for anyone with coilovers.... Your advice would be appreciated.

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-08, 12:10 AM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default A qustion for anyone with coilovers.... Your advice would be appreciated.

I'm trying to decide what coilovers to buy. I would appreciate anyone who has already done so tell me if they were to do it over again what kind would they get and why. I'm not even sure what I should be wanting in a coilover setup. I know I want to be low.Tucked rim would be nice. But that is pretty much a given. The EDFC controller would be a nice thing to have as well...Your first hand knowlage would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-04-08, 12:14 AM
kalristo
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

universal air suspension
go low or dont go at all haha jk :P
you can go air for about 2000 non installed
Old 08-04-08, 12:16 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you want Edfc then you have to get Tein's. I personally have the Tein CsV2's. I run them all the way down but thats really as low as you can go if your daily driving and don't want to be SUPER careful about turning/enbankments etc... I would rate the ride to be equivalent to a Bmw 3 series, firm but not super stiff.

If you want to go lower than that or have stiff handling then I would with Tein Flex or Jic's but both of those develop "clanking" sounds when you hit bumps over time due to the solid upper mounts.

Personally I think a good combination would be a set of Tein CsV2's with upgraded sway bars. Or you can go air but that is generally on the far end of soft so performance driving would be out.
Old 08-04-08, 12:23 AM
1GStoEnvy
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i've had the tein SS with the edfc with trd sway bars. its was nice. i was low.... but not low enough. i was tuck'n tire in the rears with 19's and tuck'n tires in the front and rear on 20's. the ride wasn't that harsh. i liked it. the only problem was that i wanted to go lower, but i was already maxed out on the tein SS. so i though maybe i should switch over and get the tein flex.... but it only takes it down about another 0.5 inchs.... which wasn't worth it to me. so at the end i picked up some JIC's.... with will tuck my rims in the front and rear qith 19's or 20's....
i hope this helps...

-john
Old 08-04-08, 09:59 AM
4ntvings
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

HKS RS
Old 08-04-08, 10:06 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
HKS RS
Old 08-04-08, 11:14 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

i like the hks's also
Old 08-04-08, 12:31 PM
natedahms
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How low can you set the HKS compaired to Tein or JIC's?
Does anyone out there have the Tanabe Sustec Pro 5's with the TEAS?
Old 08-04-08, 04:25 PM
phillygs3

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm also on Tein ss ......... I love the ride Your best bet is to figure out how low you want to go and then decide ..........If you dont want to go that low then tein cs would be your best bet .........If you want to go really low then I would go with JIC , HKS (good luck finding) , or Tein ss And remember the lower you go the more your gonna sacrafice comfort ......... I'm on Tein ss , it's not stock but it's not that bad. You feel the road more and handles much better .

Last edited by phillygs3; 08-04-08 at 04:29 PM.
Old 08-04-08, 04:53 PM
Phamboogie
Lead Lap

I'm going to pick up BC Racing VR coilovers in a few days from Titan Motorsports in Orlando. Fully-adjustable just like the Tein Flex though it does not support EDFC.

Last edited by Phamboogie; 08-04-08 at 04:53 PM. Reason: Typo.
Old 08-04-08, 06:02 PM
ZippyGuy
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by macd7919
If you want Edfc then you have to get Tein's. I personally have the Tein CsV2's. I run them all the way down but thats really as low as you can go if your daily driving and don't want to be SUPER careful about turning/enbankments etc... I would rate the ride to be equivalent to a Bmw 3 series, firm but not super stiff.

If you want to go lower than that or have stiff handling then I would with Tein Flex or Jic's but both of those develop "clanking" sounds when you hit bumps over time due to the solid upper mounts.

Personally I think a good combination would be a set of Tein CsV2's with upgraded sway bars. Or you can go air but that is generally on the far end of soft so performance driving would be out.
I second these comments
Old 08-04-08, 07:05 PM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

i just got Insurance Group, they should go low but are only 10k/6k spring rates so still pretty compliant but may bottom out, so i cant go super low.

i am hoping to have them installed this coming weekend so i can let you know how they go. They are damper adjustable at the top but no in-cabin stuff
Old 08-05-08, 10:46 AM
masboy
Lexus Champion

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 4ntvings
HKS RS
Originally Posted by GSteg
HKS LS
Old 08-05-08, 08:13 PM
MJImport
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am also in the market for coilovers but I don't necessarily want to slam it.(maybe just a couple inches) I considered springs but i think i already have a bad strut in the back and i dont think the cost difference would be that much different when it's said and done. It would be nice to adjust the height/ride whenever I wanted. I saw a set of Tein SS for 1040 shipped, but also saw a set of NEX SS for 800 shipped. I have not heard anything about NEX so I'm wondering, what is the difference?
Old 08-05-08, 08:46 PM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stay away from Nex,stick to the major manufacturers for suspension. From what your saying you want I would go with some Tein CsV2's. They pop up in the classifieds here and there for around $1000-$1200 used and around $1500 new.

Quick Reply: A qustion for anyone with coilovers.... Your advice would be appreciated.