ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   Suspension and Brakes (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes-198/)
-   -   what if I cut F-Sport Springs .5" front only? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/suspension-and-brakes/371110-what-if-i-cut-f-sport-springs-5-front-only.html)

blk250 08-02-08 05:12 PM

what if I cut F-Sport Springs .5" front only?

Hi all experts...?
Currently I am running with F-Sprt springs, the rear look very nice, but I the front still have a little bit gap.
I am thinking about cutting the front coils a little to match with the rear.

What are your thought on this...?

Don't tell me to get coilovers...I am saving $$$ to buy coilovers..:)
Thanks.

file82 08-02-08 05:15 PM

cutting spring is for high school kid's civic only. 90% of the time, cutting spring will cause alot of trouble...... and will not cover by warranty
if money is a problem, leave them alone and save up for coilovers......

ffpowerLN 08-02-08 05:35 PM

Why the heck you want to do that? Especially on the F-sport Spring! :uh:

If "looks" is all you care about then why not just cut the stock springs at the first place or go with Tein S-Tech? The more performance oriented springs like the F-sport and Eibach pro-kit are more leaning toward to performance rather than "looks".

Navigatn 08-02-08 05:47 PM

you will totally kill your ride quality and handling by cutting even half a coil. trust me, you do not ever want to cut, shave, bake, clamp, spacer, or otherwise mess with the physics of your springs. most springs are progressive meaning that they progressively get stiffer as the spring compresses. by cutting off the end coils you are cutting away the initial "soft" coils which will lead the a very very harsh ride.

Evil Teo 08-02-08 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by ffpower (Post 3727461)
Why the heck you want to do that? Especially on the F-sport Spring! :uh:

If "looks" is all you care about then why not just cut the stock springs at the first place or go with Tein S-Tech? The more performance oriented springs like the F-sport and Eibach pro-kit are more leaning toward to performance rather than "looks".

Yes i agree u should have gotten the tein s tech if u wanted it to be lower. Never cut corners unless ur prepare for the consequences.

TLP_IS350 08-02-08 08:45 PM

Originally Posted by blk250 (Post 3727434)
Hi all experts...?
Currently I am running with F-Sprt springs, the rear look very nice, but I the front still have a little bit gap.
I am thinking about cutting the front coils a little to match with the rear.

What are your thought on this...?

Don't tell me to get coilovers...I am saving $$$ to buy coilovers..:)
Thanks.

is that a serious question?:egads:ha. i mean i couldnt imagine cutting into springs i paid a couple of hundred for. or actually cutting into a component of my car that critical. you can cut the reinforcements off to shave weight:thumbup: or break all the glass in the car and save more weight and replace the seats with memory foam:eek2: ok enough bashing. i wouldnt do it man. just leave it;)

kuuqi 08-02-08 09:29 PM

no no no no no. the progressive springs losing .5" will lose that .5"'s worth of spring resistance. thus the rest of your springs will have to carry on a bigger load and wear out significantly faster. not to mention the harsh ride. they'll eventually break on you. not to mention your shocks might not hold up too well and if those break too, you're looking at a large bill that you might as well get the coilovers to fix it (plus any other damage that might have happened if the whole thing just snaps and collapses). also the springs wont run right and could bottom out again and again, scraping your car, your tires and your wheel well.

there's too many risks and unless you're balling, don't do it.

Mister T 08-02-08 10:04 PM

I wouldn't.

I have in my past vehicle, and it's not worth the looks.

Ride quality will be poorer and it won't be good for your shocks either.

Don't cut corners, just be patient. It's worth the wait.

LILDANTE79 08-02-08 10:24 PM

sell them!!! avoid the bulls***. and the damage to ur car and maybe others on the road. u own a lexus not a bucket. i saved for coils for a yr and was worth the wait.. b patient dont do it!!!

blk250 08-02-08 11:20 PM

THANK YOU ALL.... I will wait for enough $$ to buy the coilovers..
it doesn't hurt to ask questions, this is a great forum.

sincityIS 08-03-08 03:25 AM

PM me when you go to sell them. I will buy them.

ISF_GG 08-03-08 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by blk250 (Post 3728036)
THANK YOU ALL.... I will wait for enough $$ to buy the coilovers..
it doesn't hurt to ask questions, this is a great forum.

You're making the right decision. Never cut springs, ever. Coilovers will give you all kinds of adjustability, so you can dial in the drop to just the right level you want. The only way to go:thumbup:

lobuxracer 08-04-08 07:09 PM

You guys are funny. There's a time and a place to cut springs. Just don't do it without running the numbers and determining what you'll have when you're done. We did it LOTS on racebikes because you couldn't get the spring you needed.

iialcii 08-04-08 07:35 PM

so lobux ur saying is ok to cut, or not bad to do, if the homework is done?

I didnt want the hassle of cutting springs, thought about it, but decided to upgrade for coils

lobuxracer 08-04-08 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by iialcii (Post 3732725)
so lobux ur saying is ok to cut, or not bad to do, if the homework is done?

I didnt want the hassle of cutting springs, thought about it, but decided to upgrade for coils

Yes, it's OK, but you have to measure the length of the spring (not the height of the coils, but the actual length of the rod that was wound into a coil) and never shorten it more than 10%. If the spring is progressively wound it's a little more complicated, but in ALL cases, the spring will be stiffer after you cut it. There is no way around this, so you have to measure, then cut to length, and be OK with a stiffer ride (which will also stress your shocks more because they're designed to dampen the motion of a softer spring and you're making them work harder to control a stiffer spring.)

This is why most people will say don't cut your springs. To do it right is not simple and it includes new risks of your shocks dying prematurely.