Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Who would be interested in in-car height adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-08, 12:04 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Who would be interested in in-car height adjustment

Ok guys, I'm just looking for people opinions on this *if* it was ever brought to fruition. Basic idea is broken down below.

If your like me you love the way a car on bags looks, but don't want to give up the performance of your shock/spring or coilover setup. As we all know, even though some of our coilovers will go all the way to the ground, almost as far as bags, you just can't realistically drive that way, especially if it's your daily driver let alone if you need to get a jack under your car, lol. On top of this, I don't know about you but I never found the act of adjusting my coilovers that fun so it's definitely not something I would want to do everyday.

There are already air bag systems available, Airrunner and UAS to name the major players. But the problem is that using them you have all the height adjustment you want, but you lose all the performance aspect.

The type of system I'm proposing would not necessarily raise the car to stock height but it would raise the car to your previously chosen livable "daily driving" height, which for instance in my case is Tein CsV2 all the way down.

The system would be designed to be at max *reliable* pressure at this height which would offer very close to the performance of the coilover by itself with only a minor IF ANY degradation in the performance aspect of the coilover at the "highest" height setting of the bag. At the "lowest" height setting (which would most likely be so low the car would be on the ground) the car would also be riding on the spring just as the coilover would originally but albeit quite a bit lower in the stroke of the piston, which wouldn't be a great idea to take long trips on but cruising and/or parking shouldn't cause issues. Driving anywhere in between the "highest" and "lowest" setting however would be on a "medium" dampening level, so if your cruising down the strip with the car a couple inches off the ground it's not going to ride like a tank.

As I mentioned before this is just an idea, but I would like to know how other members felt and if there be a market if we could get a company to design something like this?

Last edited by macd7919; 07-31-08 at 12:16 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 12:32 AM
the island
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ummm you could with the air/coilover hyprid route like a lot of other people have done. i don't know if that's what you're looking for though.
Old 07-31-08, 12:53 AM
[ant]
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i dont think it would be a viable thing. there are already the Cup systems available which i see as the next best thing to be honest. you can have your car at the low height you like it, then are able to jack it up like an inch or so when you want it. it isnt a great deal of adjustment, i would like a bit more, but it is still sortof what you are geting at in a way. effectively you can roll around at like 80mm from the ground then instantly go up to 105-110 for inclines etc and then back down when you're over.

i cant see how they could make it be suspended any other way whilst still being adjustable on the fly without using pressurised air..
Old 07-31-08, 05:42 AM
macd7919
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by the island
ummm you could with the air/coilover hyprid route like a lot of other people have done. i don't know if that's what you're looking for though.
Are you referring to the air/coilover hybrid like the Tanabe Air Cobra or the UAS air setup you use with Tein etc.. coilovers? The Tanabe is described below and the UAS you go to "air springs" so you lose the performance. The closest you will come to a performance ride would be with the bag at full psi which is also full (stock) height, what good is that?

Originally Posted by [ant]
i dont think it would be a viable thing. there are already the Cup systems available which i see as the next best thing to be honest. you can have your car at the low height you like it, then are able to jack it up like an inch or so when you want it. it isnt a great deal of adjustment, i would like a bit more, but it is still sortof what you are geting at in a way. effectively you can roll around at like 80mm from the ground then instantly go up to 105-110 for inclines etc and then back down when you're over.

i cant see how they could make it be suspended any other way whilst still being adjustable on the fly without using pressurised air..
You guys are talking about systems like the Tanabe Air Cobra correct? I looked at that system but it's around $4k as well as the fact that as mentioned, it can only raise about an inch or so to get into driveways. You can't drive it that way, just get a little bit extra clearance.

To me I want to be able to go from slammed to drivable height and stay there. I"m not saying anything like this is available right now but I'm sure it could be produced. I was just wondering *if* something like this WAS made, would there be interest in it in the sub-$2000 price range?

Last edited by macd7919; 07-31-08 at 05:45 AM.
Old 07-31-08, 08:20 AM
kit cat

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if i can get a Bold World (especially the performance and customizability of the Aragosta) for cheap, i'd be really interested.

btw, Air Cobra has horrible quality issues according to the Aristo owners in Japan.