Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Anyone noticing grooves like this in their rotor?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-08, 08:39 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen grooves before, but never 1 groove that's much more prominent than anything else like this here. Haven't yet noticed pulsation, a bit of squeaking, but nothing major.
Old 06-15-08, 01:26 AM
t0e
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

It wont hurt, take it to the dealer.

Tell them, you feel there is something wrong with the brake pad.

Most likely they'll resurface the rotor and give you a new set of brake pads.

Last edited by t0e; 06-15-08 at 01:30 AM.
Old 06-15-08, 04:40 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Giggity
It's completely normal.....
I disagree. Some scoring is normal but there's a pretty good trench going on, there. It's beyond turning the rotor, and at 26k miles, it's not normal.
Old 06-15-08, 07:01 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I disagree. Some scoring is normal but there's a pretty good trench going on, there. It's beyond turning the rotor, and at 26k miles, it's not normal.
Thx, that was my first impression. Why wait until I feel a vibration at braking or prominent squeaking to have them fix it. You really think it's beyond turning the rotor? If they do replace the rotor, how bad would it be to have the different thicknesses on each side of the car (with the passenger side still being stock)
Old 06-15-08, 09:55 AM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by Giggity
It's completely normal.....
Yup.
Originally Posted by ES3
What's the cause then of deep grooves? Dirt? Bad brake pad?
Inconsistency in the pad material, but it's still nothing to worry about. It's very common.
Old 06-15-08, 01:02 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

How deep does a single groove have to get where you think it isN't normal?
Old 06-15-08, 02:13 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,838 Likes on 2,327 Posts

Originally Posted by ES3
How deep does a single groove have to get where you think it isN't normal?
Typically a millimeter (~0.040"). It doesn't sound like a lot, but it is when you measure it. The assumption is, you've worn the disc sufficiently that a 1mm gouge will put it below minimum thickness.
Old 06-19-08, 09:46 PM
sr20mofo
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nirmz Inc
I have noticed this as well. I went to the dealership and pointed it out to a service rep; he told me that it was because I was hitting the brakes too hard. I guess that makes sense. Right? Anyways, I went ahead and got new rotors; as he suggested it was best.

I hope it was replaced at no cost to you.

I also have slight grooves and i ask the dealer and they said that its the actual brake pad compound. They also said that the compound is made with harder materials than the actual rotor disk this shouldnt be. Why would the disk rotor be made with softer materials than the actual pads?

Anyways my sales rep said its going to cost 315bucks to get new front brake pads and resurfacing the rotors. LOL No thanks. I then went to my local shop and did it for 200bucks cheaper.
Old 07-21-08, 07:46 AM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sr20****
I hope it was replaced at no cost to you.

I also have slight grooves and i ask the dealer and they said that its the actual brake pad compound. They also said that the compound is made with harder materials than the actual rotor disk this shouldnt be. Why would the disk rotor be made with softer materials than the actual pads?

Anyways my sales rep said its going to cost 315bucks to get new front brake pads and resurfacing the rotors. LOL No thanks. I then went to my local shop and did it for 200bucks cheaper.
So you replaced pads and resurfaced both front rotors for 200 bucks?

For anyone out there.. the dealership is suggesting cutting the rotor to what they're allowed to reduce it to, do you think I'll notice quite a bit in performance? Again, I realize you can't measure the groove in mine, but from what you're seeing are you thinking they may have to resurface about 1mm in all? Which would mean a lot of performance loss? Also, to verify, if they cut that amount on the driver's side, you would ask them to cut the same on the passenger side, if though the passenger side doesn't need to be cut?
Old 07-21-08, 01:56 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 292 Likes on 257 Posts

Lots of similar, small ,circumferential grooves are normal. Single gouges like the one in the picture are not. And they are nothing to do with "braking too hard" (what a crock)! Something got stuck in there (a rock, a nail, or something) or there was a defect (foreign matter) in the pad material. Unless you know which it was, it's hard to say whther it would be covered by warranty, or just bad luck.
Old 07-21-08, 04:09 PM
RTIS250
Yes. I drove the LFA.

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

These rotors are soft. 26k miles is, in some cases, more miles than you could expect out of front brakes on an IS. That groove isnt that deep, it can be machined out, and still have the rotors well above minimum thickness. That groove will not cause anything safety related. Its normal. It happens. Nothing to worry about. BMW rotors do the same thing.
Old 07-21-08, 07:27 PM
i3urton
Lexus Test Driver

wierd how i have these grooves also but after i did the tsib update..on my is350.. i only have 10k miles on my car.

Last edited by i3urton; 07-21-08 at 07:47 PM.
Old 07-21-08, 08:18 PM
eskae3
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's normal in my opinion too...i've changed quite a few brakes in my lifetime and they usually are in this condition. It is not debris that is lodged in between the brake pad and the rotor. It is inherent in the brake pad just like some of the others are talking about. The pad is no homogeneous and have bits of harder material scattered throughout. But it is odd that our rotors only last about 25k miles.
I had my TSIB done at 25k and they changed the pads and also gave me complimentary rotors because the old ones were out of tolerance already. Poor engineering...or Great Marketing/Engineering?
Old 07-21-08, 09:52 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by eskae3
It's normal in my opinion too...i've changed quite a few brakes in my lifetime and they usually are in this condition. It is not debris that is lodged in between the brake pad and the rotor. It is inherent in the brake pad just like some of the others are talking about. The pad is no homogeneous and have bits of harder material scattered throughout. But it is odd that our rotors only last about 25k miles.
I had my TSIB done at 25k and they changed the pads and also gave me complimentary rotors because the old ones were out of tolerance already. Poor engineering...or Great Marketing/Engineering?
Wow, your rotors were shot after 25k? Would you say you brake hard and often? Much auto-xing?

BTW, for any of you who've done the TSIB to get the "non-friction" pads, do any of you have the part number for those pads?
Old 07-21-08, 09:53 PM
ES3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Lots of similar, small ,circumferential grooves are normal. Single gouges like the one in the picture are not. .
Though I'm not brake expert, I tend to agree.

Quick Reply: Anyone noticing grooves like this in their rotor?