Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Another Question About the TSIB Dustless Brake Pads

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-08, 09:34 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got back from the dealer yesterday for an oil change service and also had them do a brake inspection because of my concern for the consistent high pitch squeeling sound.

Keep in mind that I have over 25K miles on the original pads and that it was perfromed by Longo Lexus.

The service advisor (Rachel Frost from Longo Lexus) said that changing them to new pads will help but there was a "slight" technicality issue with the warranty. She claims that it depends on how the customer "word" the problem. If I complained about the sound like I did, they would charge me to upgrade to the newer pads. If I were to voice my concern for the consistent brake dust from the start, then it would be free under warranty through the TSIB recall. Even with the TSIB pads, you still had dust but just not as frequent as the older pads (at least according to her because she also has an IS).

Anyways, I still had 8mm and 9mm front and back after all this time. I figured I was just going to wear them out sooner or later before I go back to get the brake warranty work done. Too much hassle to make another appointment and have my car worked on. Fresh pads suppose to be at 10mm or something like that. So she says....but according to that data, my brakes are still practically "new" after 25K miles? Amazing.

Don't worry about the dust though. Longo says that all Lexus dealerships already have the new pads. Should you need them replaced from normal wear, they'll put the "upgraded" pads on instead of the old pads. They're gone and out of existence now, according to her.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 06-08-08 at 09:39 AM.
Old 06-09-08, 04:40 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LexusIS-TL
Don't worry about the dust though. Longo says that all Lexus dealerships already have the new pads. Should you need them replaced from normal wear, they'll put the "upgraded" pads on instead of the old pads. They're gone and out of existence now, according to her.
Keep in mind that there is no "old" pad or "new" pad, there is only "original" and TSIB pads. New IS's are still rolling out of the factory with dusty pads. Lexus makes the less dusty pads for customers that complain about excessive brake dust. One pad does not replace the other. The dust free pads aren't even listed in the factory Lexus parts book, they only appear through the TSB. Lexus has *not* stopped producing the original brake pads.
Old 06-09-08, 11:03 PM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Not according to Longo Lexus. They assured me that all pads that are installed on all Lexus vehicles are using the NEW pads. Give them a call and see for yourself.

Longo Lexus Service dept: (626) 580-6250
The service advisor that told me about this is Rachel Frost: (626) 652-3204
If you want the toll free number, it's (800) 785-0672

She assured me of that. If this info is wrong, then she was probably misled or misinformed which lead me to believe in the wrong information. But she sounded confident about the new pads being used now in replace of the older pads.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 06-09-08 at 11:30 PM.
Old 06-10-08, 06:57 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Not according to Longo Lexus. They assured me that all pads that are installed on all Lexus vehicles are using the NEW pads. Give them a call and see for yourself.

Longo Lexus Service dept: (626) 580-6250
The service advisor that told me about this is Rachel Frost: (626) 652-3204
If you want the toll free number, it's (800) 785-0672

She assured me of that. If this info is wrong, then she was probably misled or misinformed which lead me to believe in the wrong information. But she sounded confident about the new pads being used now in replace of the older pads.
Don't know what to tell you other than she's been mis-informed or is flat out lying to you because she doesn't want to cover the work. I have to tell you, I've been doing this a long, long time. I have every factory parts book, bulletin, TSIB, recall and all Lexus reference material at my disposal.

This is directly out of the latest Lexus parts book.

These are the super cession histories for both the IS250/AWD and IS350.

And, in case you missed it, here's the Lexus TSB for brake dust issues.

Last edited by IS350jet; 12-08-08 at 07:17 AM.
Old 06-10-08, 08:24 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

Hmmm, interesting. It's only good for 50,000 miles. I didn't realize the original pads had better performance than the "dustless" version. If that's the case, I rather keep the original ones.

"Some Lexus vehicles are equipped with high-friction front brake pads, specifically designed for superior braking performance and response. As a result, under certain conditions, it is possible for the customer to experience a larger volume of brake dust on the wheels.

For customers who find these characteristics objectionable, an alternative brake pad material has been developed. As with any change made to brake pad material, braking
performance and feeling may be altered and could possibly be reduced under certain driving conditions as a result of their usage. These alternative front brake pads have now been made available as service parts."

She did mention how I would have to word the complaint to get the pads. I think it's normal than. The rear pads produce almost no dust at all, only the front ones meaning that more braking force are required for the front. The back must already be using semi metallic pads or something.
Old 06-10-08, 09:43 AM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The performance wording is just to discourage you from getting a free set of pads. Pads aren't what stop a car anyway.

The car with TSIB pads will stop in about the same distance as the old ones just fine.
Old 06-11-08, 04:06 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

^^Agreed.
Old 06-11-08, 09:25 AM
LexusIS-TL
Lead Lap

I'm just going by what's off of the PDF:

Some Lexus vehicles are equipped with high-friction front brake pads, specifically designed for superior braking performance and response. As a result, under certain conditions, it is possible for the customer to experience a larger volume of brake dust on the wheels.

You can't just ignore the fact there. If that is true, the stock pads we have on now are better performing than the new dustless pads, but leaves behind more dust than anyone can handle.

Last edited by LexusIS-TL; 06-11-08 at 09:30 AM.
Old 06-11-08, 12:58 PM
Kurtz
Lexus Fanatic

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Some Lexus vehicles are equipped with high-friction front brake pads, specifically designed for superior braking performance and response. As a result, under certain conditions, it is possible for the customer to experience a larger volume of brake dust on the wheels.

You can't just ignore the fact there. If that is true, the stock pads we have on now are better performing than the new dustless pads, but leaves behind more dust than anyone can handle.

Yes, but it's -not- true.

The new pads stop the car just as well while producing massively less dust.
Old 06-11-08, 02:51 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
That was my whole question right there.....Longo told me that the 04465-53030 superceded to 04465-53040 so thats the part they put on my car....so my whole question was which one is the right one or if they dont put the 53030 anymore just the 53040
Old 06-11-08, 03:10 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

This is what my supervisor at longo printed out for me to show me that the 53030 was the old part and the 53040 was the new part...and so they kept the 53040 part on my car.....so are they not putting the dustless pads for my is 250 (53030) any more or wat?
Old 06-11-08, 03:27 PM
VikH
Lexus Champion

From what I understand the dustless pad is an "alternative" pad. It is not a new pad. Lexus is still shipping cars with the dusty pad. Thus, the dustless pad does not supersede the dusty pad since they are still using the dusty pads on all of the 2ISs. Longo is just stupid or doesn't want to do the work. Take your car to another dealer.

Also, read the main brake TSIB thread. The TSIB pad will stop your car 60-0 the same as the dusty pads. The limiting factor is your tires. Also, the TSIB states it is "possible" that it will reduce performance, not that it will reduce performance.
Old 06-12-08, 10:49 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

The TSB is correct, as you point out. However, the brakes may feel different but actual stopping distances will not change. The TSB states that there "may" be decreases in braking performance. The circumstances in which braking performance could possibly be reduced is continued, extended, extremely high speed braking in which the brakes "may" fade. Lexus has to print this info for the .000000001% of owners that would actually do that to their car. Again, it may or may not be a problem for those people.
Originally Posted by Phillip31

This is what my supervisor at longo printed out for me to show me that the 53030 was the old part and the 53040 was the new part...and so they kept the 53040 part on my car.....so are they not putting the dustless pads for my is 250 (53030) any more or wat?
This is something Longo Lexus has done internally to avoid doing brake dust TSB's on IS's. It should be illegal and I believe it is. If I were you I would contact the corporate office and report the fraud. 04465-53030 are, in fact, the TSB pads. We're ordering them and getting them in every day.

Last edited by IS350jet; 06-12-08 at 10:56 AM.
Old 06-12-08, 11:20 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

I'd like to edit my last post as it appears that I'm making accusations toward Longo Lexus. That's not my intention at all. The supercession that longo shows is in fact incorrect but it could be an honest mistake. Possibly, someone in their parts department discovered that the 04465-53040 and 04465-53030 fit the same car, and since the 53040's are cheaper they superceded them in their system, albeit, incorrectly. My apologies to Longo Lexus.

Last edited by IS350jet; 06-12-08 at 01:07 PM.
Old 06-12-08, 10:23 PM
Phillip31
Pole Position

Originally Posted by IS350jet
I'd like to edit my last post as it appears that I'm making accusations toward Longo Lexus. That's not my intention at all. The supercession that longo shows is in fact incorrect but it could be an honest mistake. Possibly, someone in their parts department discovered that the 04465-53040 and 04465-53030 fit the same car, and since the 53040's are cheaper they superceded them in their system, albeit, incorrectly. My apologies to Longo Lexus.
thanks...so i know now that it is wrong well at least at longo and that you guys are still getting those parts at your dealership....i'll just go to another dealership and try there and show them the tsib document...thanks

Quick Reply: Another Question About the TSIB Dustless Brake Pads