Suspension and Brakes Springs, shocks, coilovers, sways, braces, brakes, etc.

Cost for rear brake job at dealer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-08, 06:54 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Cost for rear brake job at dealer?

What's reasonable for replacing pads and resurfacing rotors on the back?

e
Old 06-04-08, 08:33 PM
LexFather

About $250.
I would buy my own pads, they will be better and possibly cheaper.
Old 06-04-08, 08:56 PM
e-man
Pole Position

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKGOAT
About $250.
I would buy my own pads, they will be better and possibly cheaper.
Dealer quoted me $350 today. I thought that sounded a bit high.

I went in for an oil change. After an hour, they come out to tell me that they're done, but that the rear brakes are worn and need to be replaced (for $350). They then proceed to tell me that they can't get the hood to latch shut, that the whole mechanism is broken, and that theyneed to be replaced at a cost of $400.

I told them to do whatever they had to do to get the hood shut and that I'd come back another time for the brakes. I find it interesting that they were able to close the hood at that point.
Old 06-04-08, 09:07 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Did they end up charging for the hood latch?

As for the brakes, any reason not to DIY? I'm sure a man of your skill could do the job. It's fairly easy and you do not need to take out the calipers at all. Just take out the wheel, then the fitting kit, and then use a c-clamp to compress the rear piston. Put in new pads and do everything in reverse to finish up.
Old 06-04-08, 09:26 PM
LexFather

e-man if your rotors do not need resurfacing, you can put the pads on yourself in like 20 minutes for the rear.
Old 06-05-08, 06:45 AM
newgsman
Instructor

Received 82 Likes on 56 Posts

I have not done my GS4 brakes yet as I have had the car less than a year but I have been doing the brakes on all my previous cars for the past twenty years or so. I highly recommend that when you do your brakes to take an extra 15 minutes and lubricate with grease or anti seize compund, the caliper pins and sliders. One of the primary reasons for seized calipers is not ensuring that everything is cleaned and lubed.

I do this religiously on my 17 year-old Cressida and it is still on its original calipers with over 450K km.
Old 06-06-08, 01:09 PM
beez43
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the rears are the easiest brake pad changing job ever!!! 20 minutes is just about right and the pads alone are about 50 bucks anyhow.. ill charge you a free pizza or some steaks for the grille to get it done at my house!!
Old 06-14-08, 08:25 AM
Choritsu-shi
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by e-man
Dealer quoted me $350 today. I thought that sounded a bit high.

I went in for an oil change. After an hour, they come out to tell me that they're done, but that the rear brakes are worn and need to be replaced (for $350). They then proceed to tell me that they can't get the hood to latch shut, that the whole mechanism is broken, and that theyneed to be replaced at a cost of $400.

I told them to do whatever they had to do to get the hood shut and that I'd come back another time for the brakes. I find it interesting that they were able to close the hood at that point.
Nothing is reasonable if it isn't done right!

First, are your rear brakes worn? Are you saying they are not worn? If you don't know, it's nice that they told you, isn't it? How much more can you drive? .... without causing additional damage, such as needing to buy new rotors.$$$ Did they quote you on that?

Seriously, Genuine Toyota Pads will costs $80.... and that's is the best choice for the money. Cheaper pads are simply, "cheaper pads".

Yes, replacing the pads are one of the "easiest brake pad changing job ever!"

Although if you add it up.... one needs to remove the calipers to remove rear rotors, resurface rear rotors (which involves time to set up on the lathe) now re-install everything and with new pads.... I'm already out of breath explaining it. That's gonna take the best of mechanics 2.5 hours easily.... and a free wash? $350 is very reasonable.... provided it's done correctly.

Maybe a misunderstanding.... perhaps they meant... the hood doesn't stay open (common) and the cost to replace the two "nitrogen gas filled shocks" which hold the hood open, actually is about $400.

Sensei
Old 06-24-08, 05:57 PM
Lexamatic
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by e-man
What's reasonable for replacing pads and resurfacing rotors on the back?

e
Call your local Midas shop if you dont get a referral for a local mechanic. The dealer is a total waste of money for basic maintenance.